SCAmmers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like more than six trips to Seattle. Will there be ANY home games in Oregon or are those 12 year olds spending six hours in a car every weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Congratulations? That sure is a lot of driving to play in the second tier league. I'm not bashing, but that's what it is. And to the commenter who said have fun going to Medford, it's one thing to have to go to Medford twice a year at most (once in fall and once in spring). This is driving north SIX times - to the Seattle area 5 times and to Spokane once. I really hope the parents who signed on to this knew what they were getting into. This isn't about posturing and "my club is better than yours." This is about people being scammed (no pun intended with the thread title at all).
      Even though Medford is 100 miles further than Seattle, I usually can get there faster. Unless I have to leave Portland on a Friday evening, that is.

Comment

Congratulations? That sure is a lot of driving to play in the second tier league. I'm not bashing, but that's what it is. And to the commenter who said have fun going to Medford, it's one thing to have to go to Medford twice a year at most (once in fall and once in spring). This is driving north SIX times - to the Seattle area 5 times and to Spokane once. I really hope the parents who signed on to this knew what they were getting into. This isn't about posturing and "my club is better than yours." This is about people being scammed (no pun intended with the thread title at all).
        I think "scammed" is too harsh--JS and company, I suspect, started the club thinking that they would be playing against local competition. Perhaps they shouldn't be, but they SCA surprised that many of the OYSA clubs essentially organized against them to ban them from the local leagues and have had to scramble.

My advice to JS is: Examine ADF. Copy their governance structure tit for tat--an entirely bogus 501(c)3 run by a rubber stamp board, that subcontracts pretty much all parts of the operation to Futboltraining LLC (a for-profit entity). Demand that what is sauce for the goose be sauce for the gander--and when you go before the board, have a lawyer at your side to make them aware that if existing precedent for what is permitted by OYSA is not granted to them as well, an anti-trust lawsuit will be filed.

Oh, and there are probably a few sportswriters around town who will gladly go with the angle of "mean soccer sanctioning board is oppressing a startup club for reasons", if yo want to make a stink in the press.

Comment

I think "scammed" is too harsh--JS and company, I suspect, started the club thinking that they would be playing against local competition. Perhaps they shouldn't be, but they SCA surprised that many of the OYSA clubs essentially organized against them to ban them from the local leagues and have had to scramble.

My advice to JS is: Examine ADF. Copy their governance structure tit for tat--an entirely bogus 501(c)3 run by a rubber stamp board, that subcontracts pretty much all parts of the operation to Futboltraining LLC (a for-profit entity). Demand that what is sauce for the goose be sauce for the gander--and when you go before the board, have a lawyer at your side to make them aware that if existing precedent for what is permitted by OYSA is not granted to them as well, an anti-trust lawsuit will be filed.

Oh, and there are probably a few sportswriters around town who will gladly go with the angle of "mean soccer sanctioning board is oppressing a startup club for reasons", if yo want to make a stink in the press.
          OYSA has been crystal clear since April that these SCA did not meet OYSA standards.

Comment

OYSA has been crystal clear since April that these SCA did not meet OYSA standards.
            Not knowing much about them I have a few questions?

Were they a private training company with many players at clubs all over the region....formed a club to compete in OYSA and got their clients to join them?

Now because of the for profit and maybe underlying how they got players png in oysa?

How many teams do they have?

What age, gender?

What caliber are these teams? Are they premier?

Are they "just another club" or an elite premier national level contender?

Comment

That's why I suggested copying ADF. Jo is running a for profit business, and everyone knows it. He also had enough advice to form a 501(c)3 to actually own and operate the "club", with a board of directors he reports to. But the club subcontracts all their operations to Jo's LLC.

JS should copy that business model. Register a 501(c)3, and have a board elected from among the community leaders or club parents (either will work). The 501(c)3 will have virtually no assets of their own, and subcontract all operations to Soccer Chance Academy LLC (their state registration is here: http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE ); it will exist ONLY for the purpose of registering teams with OYSA.

And if OYSA says no--then ask the question: What about the F-Bombs? Why are THEY allowed in? If no good answer is given, or the only answer given is a grandfather clause (I'm pretty sure OYSA bylaws contain no such clause), then let the lawyers take over. A successful anti-trust lawsuit results in TREBLE damages, after all, and if you thought OYSA was in financial hot water before...

(As an aside: What would happen if OYSA went into bankruptcy? Would they be able to re-organize, stiffing SCA and/or dissolving the Peregrine deal? Or would USYSA then expel them and solicit/form a new Oregon affiliate member, one with a clean financial slate, and presumably unencumbered by the Peregrine contract?)

Comment

You are 100 percent wrong on how ADF is currently structured. It’s a completely separate legal entity from Futeboltraining and the two do not intermix. ADF met all of the OYSA criteria for membership.
                SCA were notified they were not eligible for OYSA membership before they held tryouts.

Comment

You are 100 percent wrong on how ADF is currently structured. It’s a completely separate legal entity from Futeboltraining and the two do not intermix. ADF met all of the OYSA criteria for membership.
                  SCA were notified they were not eligible for OYSA membership before they held tryouts.
                  Yes technically the F bombs are on paper set up this way, but as posted above we all know it’s a sham. My kid would never play for them so
                  I don’t care who they are fleecing with fees or “training” or begging for futsal players

Comment

incorrect. notification was given well after tryouts. fwiw.

Comment

It doesn't matter if notice was given by OYSA prior to or after, the requirements are clearly stated on the website and SCA ignored them or did not research them.

Comment

It doesn't matter if notice was given by OYSA prior to or after, the requirements are clearly stated on the website and SCA ignored them or did not research them.
                        again, incorrect. you know nothing about the situation or timeline of events, correspondence between the two entities, etc. you just like to complain and whine and post anonymous bs on message boards. go away.

Comment

If you are familiar with the legal structure of ADF, please enlighten us:

Again looking at the Oregon sec of state's office, here is the corporate registration information for ADF Portland, a "public benefit corporation with members" (nonprofit): http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE

Note that the "registered agent", "president", and "secretary" are all Joaquim Capuia.

Now here is the record for "Futeboltraining LLC", a limited liability corporation (for-profit business): http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE

Note that the registered agent for this is also one Joaquim Capuia.

No, the organization of ADF is pretty much as I described it--a shell nonprofit that registers with OYSA and collects fees from families, and which contracts with a vendor which is a for-profit entity, that just happens to be owned by the non-profit corporation's president, for all services. ADF is non-profit, certainly--all the money that comes in goes out to Futeboltraining LLC, and little or no earnings are retained; and I'm certain Jo takes no salary whatsoever in his role as president and secretary of ADF. But he's making a killing running Futeboltraining LLC/Finezza sports.

It's an obvious sham. Now, I don't really care that much about how the F-Bombs do business, but to turn around and block SCA for not being a nonprofit when ADF has been in business for about 3-4 years now operating more or less as described, is a bit hypocritical. If it's simply because JS and company haven't dotted all the necessary i's and crossed all the necessary t's to enable OYSA to claim proverbial shock at the gambling going on at Rick's, and all they need to do is copy ADF's structure and Bob will be their uncle, that's one thing.

But don't come and tell us that ADF isn't a for-profit business. We're not stupid. We know exactly what it is. If OYSA is really opposed to profiteering in youth soccer, they should either crack down on this--a simple rule such as "no member organization shall subcontract with any for-profit entity that is owned in whole or part by any officer or principal employee of the member; all dealings with for-profit entities must be arms-length transactions". Of course, such a rule would, as others have pointed out, ensnare many other clubs as well--many coaches out there offer private training, operate futsal/indoor soccer gyms, or otherwise provide services to the soccer community, which are often patronized by the clubs they work for.

I suspect we all know what's really going on, and it's not protecting gullible soccer families from fraudsters.

Comment

If you are familiar with the legal structure of ADF, please enlighten us:

Again looking at the Oregon sec of state's office, here is the corporate registration information for ADF Portland, a "public benefit corporation with members" (nonprofit): http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE

Note that the "registered agent", "president", and "secretary" are all Joaquim Capuia.

Now here is the record for "Futeboltraining LLC", a limited liability corporation (for-profit business): http://egov.sos.state.or.us/br/pkg_w...&p_print=FALSE

Note that the registered agent for this is also one Joaquim Capuia.

No, the organization of ADF is pretty much as I described it--a shell nonprofit that registers with OYSA and collects fees from families, and which contracts with a vendor which is a for-profit entity, that just happens to be owned by the non-profit corporation's president, for all services. ADF is non-profit, certainly--all the money that comes in goes out to Futeboltraining LLC, and little or no earnings are retained; and I'm certain Jo takes no salary whatsoever in his role as president and secretary of ADF. But he's making a killing running Futeboltraining LLC/Finezza sports.

It's an obvious sham. Now, I don't really care that much about how the F-Bombs do business, but to turn around and block SCA for not being a nonprofit when ADF has been in business for about 3-4 years now operating more or less as described, is a bit hypocritical. If it's simply because JS and company haven't dotted all the necessary i's and crossed all the necessary t's to enable OYSA to claim proverbial shock at the gambling going on at Rick's, and all they need to do is copy ADF's structure and Bob will be their uncle, that's one thing.

But don't come and tell us that ADF isn't a for-profit business. We're not stupid. We know exactly what it is. If OYSA is really opposed to profiteering in youth soccer, they should either crack down on this--a simple rule such as "no member organization shall subcontract with any for-profit entity that is owned in whole or part by any officer or principal employee of the member; all dealings with for-profit entities must be arms-length transactions". Of course, such a rule would, as others have pointed out, ensnare many other clubs as well--many coaches out there offer private training, operate futsal/indoor soccer gyms, or otherwise provide services to the soccer community, which are often patronized by the clubs they work for.

I suspect we all know what's really going on, and it's not protecting gullible soccer families from fraudsters.
                            Why don't they just dot the i's and cross the T's then. Or is there another reason?

OYSA and the dozens of clubs that are just fine with how things are going aren't going to change for SCA.

Comment

again, incorrect. you know nothing about the situation or timeline of events, correspondence between the two entities, etc. you just like to complain and whine and post anonymous bs on message boards. go away.
                              I don’t think the OP is posting false info.

It’s pretty clear. In fact crystal clear. You can’t be a for profit club and have teams playing in non profit OYSA Leagues. How does that sound like B.S.?

Please explain the timeline that you’re talking about. From my vantage point all I see is probably a bunch of potheads that came up with this idea and failed to follow directions. More than likely multiple times like they did in middle
                              School and high school

Comment

False. D&J knew it was a no-go when they were part of GPS and that was affirmed to them when they met with oysa right after the notification went out to members in April. They were told very clearly the players could be coached by SCA if coaches were hired through a member club. That would mean the players belonged to another oysa member club, wore that club’s kit, etc. D&J wanted payment for fees to go direct to SCA, didn’t not want board oversight, and wanted players to be seen in purple kits. They tried fudging the teams through FC Huracan by lying and saying Huracan hired the SCA coaches but it blew up when purple kits showed up at the PCU tournament. Huracan took down the post about the SCA coaches directly after and removed everything relating to them off their website completely. End of story.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X