The Product of the Big Club Machine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the reason why cfc kids got turf toe was because of turf but it was because of toeing the ball really far. thats a serious injury.

Comment

With my own kids and their friends/teammates, late middle school is when the injury issues really ramped up. Kids who were always hard core, intense were watching their bodies breakdown as they started puberty and the competition got more intense and physical. Emotional burnout also got worse. Some kids won't admit they're having issues. You have to keep a close eye on your kid's physical and emotional well being. Consult your pediatrician, meet with a really good trainer who specializes in young athletes. Maybe even a good therapist (kids now are under insane amounts of pressure and it's good to have a therapist on speed dial for all kinds of reasons). Put them on the right path, not the injury path. Sometimes all it takes is one good injury plus a bit of burnout for kids to just drop out altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Older D specialized in soccer at u14 at the highest level, and dropped playing hoops. She now plays in college and has had some injuries that I feel can be traced back to specialization and overuse. She should have played hoops in HS and took winter off from soccer. Youngest daughter plays Varsity soccer, hoops, and lax in HS and is almost never injured.....Would never recommend any specializations until college, don't buy into the hype and money machine.
        Proper strength training for girls can help to prevent injuries. My kid played multiple sports through about 6th grade and then focused on soccer. She loves soccer and didn't like the other sports so we weren't going to force her to play them. We found a good strength trainer and she hasn't had a problem and is playing in college now.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          With my own kids and their friends/teammates, late middle school is when the injury issues really ramped up. Kids who were always hard core, intense were watching their bodies breakdown as they started puberty and the competition got more intense and physical. Emotional burnout also got worse. Some kids won't admit they're having issues. You have to keep a close eye on your kid's physical and emotional well being. Consult your pediatrician, meet with a really good trainer who specializes in young athletes. Maybe even a good therapist (kids now are under insane amounts of pressure and it's good to have a therapist on speed dial for all kinds of reasons). Put them on the right path, not the injury path. Sometimes all it takes is one good injury plus a bit of burnout for kids to just drop out altogether.
          100%. there's a lack of bone density during growth phases, which contributes to injuries during the puberty transition. you will always have the (usually) obvious impact injuries, but it's the repetitive use ones that kids don't want to acknowledge that can be devastating. all rest are great comments.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X