Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coaching style

Have seen a fair share of coaching styles on the sidelines with my U9 boys - but stumbled upon a team a week or two ago where the coach can be found screaming at his team, singling out particular players, and questioning every move (or mistake) they make. I felt bad for the opponents as with every scream from the sidelines was met by young kids second guessing their every decision which is exactly the opposite what an effective coach should be doing. No coaching support on the bench- just flailing arms and shrugs from the sidelines.

Would love to hear the opinion of other coaches out here regarding what is appropriate for a U9 player. No one expects sunshine and rainbows or participation trophies - just balanced coaching that can be firm, disciplined and fair while also recognizing the importance of positive encouragement as support.

That’s what our kids get - but not the team that we saw the other week.

Yelling at young children is not only inappropriate but completely ineffective. All it teaches is fear.

Comment

Were they yelling AT the kids, or yelling to be heard? If there are loud parents on both sides, and multiple games going on, sometimes coaches have to be louder than the din. If the coach was belittling players, though, that's a different story.

Comment

If my son performs bad, I wait until he gets in the car, roll up the windows and give him one heck of a tongue lashing then make him skip supper

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Were they yelling AT the kids, or yelling to be heard? If there are loud parents on both sides, and multiple games going on, sometimes coaches have to be louder than the din. If the coach was belittling players, though, that's a different story.
          Unfortunately for the boys, it was yelling AT and seemed completely unnecessary in my book in relation to their play on the field. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish - but the kids looked afraid to make a mistake and by doing so - really were playing scared instead of confident. Parents from both teams looked appalled.

I could see that tone with HS age players (just not the belittling part) but these were younger players working hard at a developmental stage.

Comment

I saw this in the spring at a tournament. It was a boys u-13 team. Coach was yelling and belittling the players while swearing at them. Referee intervention did little to improve the situation. Team was up 2-0. They allowed a set piece goal and coach really came unglued. Pulled player he blamed and reamed him out very loudly in front of bench. Needless to say, team then fell apart and lost the game 4-2. It was the most shameful thing I ever saw out of a coach. How can parents sit back and allow someone to treat their child like this.

Comment

I saw this in the spring at a tournament. It was a boys u-13 team. Coach was yelling and belittling the players while swearing at them. Referee intervention did little to improve the situation. Team was up 2-0. They allowed a set piece goal and coach really came unglued. Pulled player he blamed and reamed him out very loudly in front of bench. Needless to say, team then fell apart and lost the game 4-2. It was the most shameful thing I ever saw out of a coach. How can parents sit back and allow someone to treat their child like this.
              Encouraging player discipline around maintaining position and spacing on field with a stern voice is one thing, but this (above) is shameful and violates every core value and belief about coaching youth sports. It’s perfectly fine to be tough without be demeaning.

Can’t believe parents are paying for that level of abuse.

Comment

That's exactly how MO from FSA treats his players...in addition to the inappropriate nicknames.

Comment

Have seen a fair share of coaching styles on the sidelines with my U9 boys - but stumbled upon a team a week or two ago where the coach can be found screaming at his team, singling out particular players, and questioning every move (or mistake) they make. I felt bad for the opponents as with every scream from the sidelines was met by young kids second guessing their every decision which is exactly the opposite what an effective coach should be doing. No coaching support on the bench- just flailing arms and shrugs from the sidelines.

Would love to hear the opinion of other coaches out here regarding what is appropriate for a U9 player. No one expects sunshine and rainbows or participation trophies - just balanced coaching that can be firm, disciplined and fair while also recognizing the importance of positive encouragement as support.

That’s what our kids get - but not the team that we saw the other week.
                  you must of been watching CM coaching the 05 GDA team at OW.

Comment

And here is the problem with our future, parents are turning kids into little wimps who actually tell the parents what to do. Teach them the difference between winning and losing, no need for participation awards. Raise your kids to be winners and not losers, make America great again. The old days of raising kids to be tough are over and now you can see what you get when you constantly kiss their butts. Be the parent, not a friend. In the end, as they get older, they will understand tough love and will be better off because of it

Comment

And here is the problem with our future, parents are turning kids into little wimps who actually tell the parents what to do. Teach them the difference between winning and losing, no need for participation awards. Raise your kids to be winners and not losers, make America great again. The old days of raising kids to be tough are over and now you can see what you get when you constantly kiss their butts. Be the parent, not a friend. In the end, as they get older, they will understand tough love and will be better off because of it
                      You can do all of that without screaming. In fact screaming is ineffective in the long run; sort term kids become fearful but eventually they learn to tune it out like white noise. That includes whatever the message was, drowned out by the noise

Comment

Likely a divorced, White, middle aged, out of shape, balding, poor excuse for a man, who lacks any type of athletic ability, who lives selfishly and vicariously through the achievements of his child. Probably did not earn his own money and has skated by on white privilege pretending that he has worked a hard day in his life. Oh holier than thou judger of others, please save your nonsense as it does not come from a place that is credible nor informed about youth developmental coaching.

Comment

You can do all of that without screaming. In fact screaming is ineffective in the long run; sort term kids become fearful but eventually they learn to tune it out like white noise. That includes whatever the message was, drowned out by the noise
                          Once the tuning out starts, then a swift kick to the butt works

Comment

Likely a divorced, White, middle aged, out of shape, balding, poor excuse for a man, who lacks any type of athletic ability, who lives selfishly and vicariously through the achievements of his child. Probably did not earn his own money and has skated by on white privilege pretending that he has worked a hard day in his life. Oh holier than thou judger of others, please save your nonsense as it does not come from a place that is credible nor informed about youth developmental coaching.
                            You hit it on the head. Get back to me when your kid gets stuffed in a locker or head shoved in the toilet all because you raised a pansy

Comment

That's exactly how MO from FSA treats his players...in addition to the inappropriate nicknames.
                              Decent coach but not for everybody.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X