Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Decent numbers but the quality of player was lacking. My daughter went to tryouts & felt the pool was not as strong as they thought it might be. Not as many GPS girls showed as anticipated and she said there were some FCStars girls there. My daughter said last night that she wont play GDA since she wont be able to play for her HS team and the players at the tryouts were not as strong as she had hoped. Her HS team will have another opportunity to play for a title this year as a senior and she would love to stay and win one.

Two of her SU team mates also passed on tryouts because they want to still play for their HS teams.
    Are you stating this for ALL age groups or a specific one (U18)?

What was the breakdown for each?

Comment

I don't think anyone should consider coming into GDA for their Senior season. I understand the offering is for them, but too late for them.
      I agree - juniors or sophomores would be the ideal candidates.

Comment

I agree - juniors or sophomores would be the ideal candidates.
        I was thinking even younger 8th grade is too young for many, but Freshman-Sophomore would be the ideal years. Reason being...players can try it out and if they don't like it, then latch onto (insert what would be the highest level left) and high school from there with time left.

If it works, then they keep riding it.

But, honestly, I have no idea.....

Comment

I was thinking even younger 8th grade is too young for many, but Freshman-Sophomore would be the ideal years. Reason being...players can try it out and if they don't like it, then latch onto (insert what would be the highest level left) and high school from there with time left.

If it works, then they keep riding it.

But, honestly, I have no idea.....

Too many questions right now with the program... Clubs leaving, players leaving (other states). It won't magically be great (and stable) in NH when other states who had a trial run last year had VERY mixed results.

Comment

Too many questions right now with the program... Clubs leaving, players leaving (other states). It won't magically be great (and stable) in NH when other states who had a trial run last year had VERY mixed results.
            Of course, all this is new. It's been a year, so nobody should have expectations this is buttoned up so quickly. Those who jumped have a financial reason for doing so, so that should always be a consideration.

I just said, to me, I think the sweet spot should be Freshman/Sophomore years.

Comment

Are you stating this for ALL age groups or a specific one (U18)?

What was the breakdown for each?
              The U18 was very small but the U16 girls pool was not large by any stretch. One parent within earshot even commented afterwards that they "hope that's all because (player name) should make it because of the small turnout".

My daughter was sold yesterday on not doing GDA when she talked to a local DII college player who played NPL through a mutual friend. This player is on scholarship and they explained its a great opportunity but if you are already being recruited for DIII or DII (my daughter is both - mostly DIII - and a couple of DII) then playing GDA will not increase the likelihood of those schools changing.

Comment

The U18 was very small but the U16 girls pool was not large by any stretch. One parent within earshot even commented afterwards that they "hope that's all because (player name) should make it because of the small turnout".

My daughter was sold yesterday on not doing GDA when she talked to a local DII college player who played NPL through a mutual friend. This player is on scholarship and they explained its a great opportunity but if you are already being recruited for DIII or DII (my daughter is both - mostly DIII - and a couple of DII) then playing GDA will not increase the likelihood of those schools changing.
                The U16 and U14 group were the biggest group there. Not sure what you were watching.... FCStars players were also there in substantial numbers. The biggest issue that SU will have is that they will have to compete with the strength of the CT, MA, and NY programs which are at least two steps ahead of where NH soccer is. Even if you take the 2nd tier players from MA programs and mix them with NH kids, the fact of the matter is that the 2nd tier MA kids are still stronger than NH players.

Look at the college rosters of any DIII, DII, or DI program within 150 miles of NH, and you wont see a ton of NH girls. Even the in state schools like KSC, Plymouth, CSC, SNHU, St. A's, UNH and Dartmouth don't carry a majority of NH kids. They have more from NY and MA for a reason...

I think SU is over expanding its brand right now and given the watering down of the talent pool across GPS, SU and the mom and pop clubs - I can't see the GDA surviving more than 2-3 years for SU.

Comment

I think you're right. We should all just give up since historically we haven't been able to send many players to higher levels, we should just stop trying now.

Comment

As a NH parent with a young daughter playing at a high level down in MA at FC Stars, I’m the target for SU. I do wish for a concentrated and competitive club in NH but I’m not ready to move them. Stars has a better reputation for many reasons. I hope GDA succeeds - will take several years if its to work. Right now if someone has a talented player they should move them to MA. In the mean time parents will be spending a lot of money and time to have their daughters play on very weak teams with mediocre coaches teaching bump and run. That’s not for us but I wish people the best and they can do whatever they think is best for their family.

Comment

As a NH parent with a young daughter playing at a high level down in MA at FC Stars, I’m the target for SU. I do wish for a concentrated and competitive club in NH but I’m not ready to move them. Stars has a better reputation for many reasons. I hope GDA succeeds - will take several years if its to work. Right now if someone has a talented player they should move them to MA. In the mean time parents will be spending a lot of money and time to have their daughters play on very weak teams with mediocre coaches teaching bump and run. That’s not for us but I wish people the best and they can do whatever they think is best for their family.
                      I agree Stars MA is a better program. Deep. Very deep.

I know players, very good players, playing on the B team for them now in ECNL. One should consider playing on a second-team vs. a first-team more locally (taking out the HS argument as that's a deciding factor often).

Reality is if NH girls stayed here and joined Seacoast, they'd be on the same level team they are at now.

Comment

I think you're right. We should all just give up since historically we haven't been able to send many players to higher levels, we should just stop trying now.
                        It has nothing to do with stop trying...

First - any parent who says they are doing GDA just for the love of the game and so their daughter can play is nit being honest. You want your kid to get a college look and or scholarship. That's what every club with GDA and NPL level teams promotes and SELLS!

Second - the reality of spending the type of money that NPL and GDA require is that you are investing in your kid to hopefully get a return on that investment.

Third - Our NPL teams (girls U18, U16, & U14) are competitive but not at the top of the regional rankings by any examination. Our top NPL teams would not even be the top 10 in CT, MA, or NY.

Reality is right now that NH is not a hot bed of soccer talent - just like we don't produce top talent in basketball, football, or baseball / softball in any substantial numbers.

the mirror does not lie...

Comment

Call me a liar then. I've been called worse.

Anonymous people on an open vbulletin board can say what they want.

Accountant types think ROI is a pure cash value; $$ spent equates to $$ returned in some form later. We refuse to look at it that way; you are more than welcome to if that's how you operate.

(LOL Regional rankings.....)

Comment

The U16 and U14 group were the biggest group there. Not sure what you were watching.... FCStars players were also there in substantial numbers. The biggest issue that SU will have is that they will have to compete with the strength of the CT, MA, and NY programs which are at least two steps ahead of where NH soccer is. Even if you take the 2nd tier players from MA programs and mix them with NH kids, the fact of the matter is that the 2nd tier MA kids are still stronger than NH players.
                            In SU's favor is ECNL bottom dweller Albertson is all in for GDA! Wooo hooo! So you can beat up on them, LISC, Empire etc. Travel all over, pay a ton, give up high school soccer. Good times.

Comment

People think they will get money for college and reality is they won’t.

Comment

In SU's favor is ECNL bottom dweller Albertson is all in for GDA! Wooo hooo! So you can beat up on them, LISC, Empire etc. Travel all over, pay a ton, give up high school soccer. Good times.
                                I think the azzholes are in the MA thread.

You lost?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X