Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argentina and Messi at 3:00. Nothing else on.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, finally Argentina beat a team that mattered in the COPA, but even at that what was Venezuela’s record in this COPA?

Meanwhile the USWNT continued their winning streak beating France in Paris in front of a mostly French crown in a WC quarterfinal. Sorry you couldn’t figure out what would be the better rivalry to watch.
    French women dominated possession and the game but once in the box couldn’t put a shot on goal all night.

Comment

French women dominated possession and the game but once in the box couldn’t put a shot on goal all night.
      Yep and they lost too. US defense was very good and their shooting accuracy and goals were great. While Rapinoe got the goals, Crystal Dunn was incredible.

Comment

Yep and they lost too. US defense was very good and their shooting accuracy and goals were great. While Rapinoe got the goals, Crystal Dunn was incredible.
        Crystal Dunn is exceptional in the forward 2/3 of the field. LB is not her position though. She struggled at times there early against the French starter.

Comment

Crystal Dunn is exceptional in the forward 2/3 of the field. LB is not her position though. She struggled at times there early against the French starter.
          https://apple.news/AWmk-tNnnTY-VrDrA171ddw

French strategy was to attack Dunn. She did well at times, as the article states. Other times she was blown aside. The US defense didn’t stop the French as much as they were terrible shooters. They many times got a ball on their head with a clean shot at goal. They just missed. US defense more lucky than good. We’ll see how England does.

Comment

Honestly, what game were you watching? Dunn was terrific at LB the whole game AND was one of the few that could get by their defense on the attack. She has transitioned into this defense role extremely well, but still has her attack instincts/skills from her days as a forward.

Comment

Honestly, what game were you watching? Dunn was terrific at LB the whole game AND was one of the few that could get by their defense on the attack. She has transitioned into this defense role extremely well, but still has her attack instincts/skills from her days as a forward.
              The same game as the folks who wrote the article. Great offensive player playing defense. Defense is about consistency. If you stop someone 5 times and then they blow by you 5 times that doesn’t work. That’s why France’s game plan was to pick on her. I suspect the English will too. Great player in the wrong position.

Comment

https://apple.news/AWmk-tNnnTY-VrDrA171ddw

French strategy was to attack Dunn. She did well at times, as the article states. Other times she was blown aside. The US defense didn’t stop the French as much as they were terrible shooters. They many times got a ball on their head with a clean shot at goal. They just missed. US defense more lucky than good. We’ll see how England does.
                French realized pretty early that Dunn wasn’t going to be easy to get by. She forced them out or won the ball about 80% of the time. Instead, they started to play to the right side of the US defense by booting it into O’Hara’s corner, but this wasn’t successful either. Most of their shots were well wide of the goal or weak rollers. The French looked terrible in the center and most of their set pieces just fell apart. They were not the formidable team I expected to see. Stats aside, the USWNT looked pretty strong against them. I’d say the weakest part of the US game was the midfield and Heath. Midfield has been a strong point until this game, but their timing was off against the French. Heath has not looked good against the Spanish or the French; she does not look herself.

Comment

Another poster. The French took 20 shots. That is a lot for a losing side. Nearly all those came down the French right side through CD. Service was made into the box. That fact that nearly all shots missed is no credit to CD. Great offensive player though.

Comment

Even Rapinoe said in her interview after the game that the French outplayed them. Here’s the thing, the French tried to rely on their speed on the outside and it didn’t work as service wasn’t great and successful 1on1 opportunities were few. Dunn and O’hara are both very fast and attackers in their previous roles. They know how to go forward, but more importantly they know what their opponents will try and do and can anticipate, or lacking that, use pace to recover from a mistake.

Last, no one is talking about the US playing 5:4:1 out of possession. It frustrated the heck out of France’s ability to find clean shooting/passing lanes in the final 1/3. The only goal was from a set piece where a 6’1” french player won a header against a 5’9” us player. How many corner kicks did france get? More than the US for sure...

Oh, and the pundits should be talking about Morgan’s very unselfish work as a target striker in setting up Rapinoe. Both of Rapinoe’s goals were started by Morgan, one on a foul and one on a pass to Heath who got the assist.

Comment

Even Rapinoe said in her interview after the game that the French outplayed them. Here’s the thing, the French tried to rely on their speed on the outside and it didn’t work as service wasn’t great and successful 1on1 opportunities were few. Dunn and O’hara are both very fast and attackers in their previous roles. They know how to go forward, but more importantly they know what their opponents will try and do and can anticipate, or lacking that, use pace to recover from a mistake.

Last, no one is talking about the US playing 5:4:1 out of possession. It frustrated the heck out of France’s ability to find clean shooting/passing lanes in the final 1/3. The only goal was from a set piece where a 6’1” french player won a header against a 5’9” us player. How many corner kicks did france get? More than the US for sure...

Oh, and the pundits should be talking about Morgan’s very unselfish work as a target striker in setting up Rapinoe. Both of Rapinoe’s goals were started by Morgan, one on a foul and one on a pass to Heath who got the assist.
                      Another mistake by the French was not closely marking and mugging Morgan like Spain did. They let her roam and as target forward she set up a lot of plays. Not the usual way you think of her, but a very common playing style in the men’s game.

Comment

Messi with a red card today.

Comment

Messi with a red card today.
                          Yes. I saw it and being a big Messi fan I was predisposed to think that Gary Medel (who also got one for the same incident) was the instigator. But alas , after watching several replays I put the blame on Messi who is not quite the angel I thought he was. As Medel was trying to block Messi, Messi reaches with his foot which seemed innocent enough as an attempt to get to the ball. But after watching a couple of times, I noticed that Messi also gave Medel a shove high on his shoulder seemingly in an attempt to trip him. I don't like watching Chile play Argentina because Chile seems to always go on a hackfest. But this time I blame Messi. I still love him though and could watch him 24/7.

Comment

Yes. I saw it and being a big Messi fan I was predisposed to think that Gary Medel (who also got one for the same incident) was the instigator. But alas , after watching several replays I put the blame on Messi who is not quite the angel I thought he was. As Medel was trying to block Messi, Messi reaches with his foot which seemed innocent enough as an attempt to get to the ball. But after watching a couple of times, I noticed that Messi also gave Medel a shove high on his shoulder seemingly in an attempt to trip him. I don't like watching Chile play Argentina because Chile seems to always go on a hackfest. But this time I blame Messi. I still love him though and could watch him 24/7.
                            I take that back and apologize to Messi. Upon further review I see that Medel gave Messi a whack with his shoulder which Messi was reacting to. However I do think Messi is hurting his legacy with his complaining about the refs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X