Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2021 - Predictions for June 15?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And no one is checking a college coach's call log to see if club coaches call to discuss players.
    https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2019...ly-recruiting/

"Moving forward, college coaches will be allowed to discuss freshman or sophomore recruits with club and high school coaches, but those conversations are limited to whether the coach is interested in recruiting them. College coaches cannot make unofficial offers or discuss support in admissions or any other form of financial aid with a club or high school coach.
    “Hi coach, it’s coach Bob from Big state U. We really like Mia and intend to keep recruiting her. Are you sure she’s interested in us?”

“Yes, she loves your program and sees it as one of her top targets.”

“You know, the track she’s on would put her as one of our top recruits. In the past those types of players get 65% scholarships. Could you check with Mia to confirm her interest?”

“Sure, I’ll see if they’re changing their target list.”
    This is from in that article cited above

"W Soccer – Women’s Soccer recruiting starts very early, with 78% of student-athletes reporting their first recruiting contact sophomore year or earlier. While direct recruiting and early offers will stop, coaches will still be looking for ways to evaluate student-athletes and make their interest known"

The example above is precisely how the college coaches will "make their interest known" and contrary to what the resident anti D1 loon is spouting, there is nothing in that carefully worded exchange that anyone is going to raise an eyebrow over - certainly not the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This is from in that article cited above

"W Soccer – Women’s Soccer recruiting starts very early, with 78% of student-athletes reporting their first recruiting contact sophomore year or earlier. While direct recruiting and early offers will stop, coaches will still be looking for ways to evaluate student-athletes and make their interest known"

The example above is precisely how the college coaches will "make their interest known" and contrary to what the resident anti D1 loon is spouting, there is nothing in that carefully worded exchange that anyone is going to raise an eyebrow over - certainly not the NCAA.
      Thanks. That hypothetical conversation took me all of about 1 minute to type. It's not unreasonable to think that a college coaching staff will spend quite a bit more time than that to plan their conversations, carefully choose their words, and plot out who they need to be talking with. If a college coach has a pair of rising juniors as their top forwards, does anyone really think that they're not going to find some way to lock up their replacements - even though it involves skirting the regs a bit?

Comment

Skirting the intent of the rules sure but they will most definitely will be very deliberate in what they say so there will be no skirting of the actual written rule. Big difference.

Comment

Skirting the intent of the rules sure but they will most definitely will be very deliberate in what they say so there will be no skirting of the actual written rule. Big difference.
          Welcome to the conversation. Thats exactly what the dialogue does. Complies with rule as written while completely violating intent

Comment

The college coaches wanted the new rules. Now they can string a big group of players along but not give any verbals till after sophomore year. The college coaches are happy to get an extra couple years to make sure those early blooming studs pan out. Only one out of three does now. The new rules help the coaches and the later bloomers the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              The college coaches wanted the new rules. Now they can string a big group of players along but not give any verbals till after sophomore year. The college coaches are happy to get an extra couple years to make sure those early blooming studs pan out. Only one out of three does now. The new rules help the coaches and the later bloomers the most.
              Your 1/3 stat came from where? Every stud playing in college was recruited early. My DD isn't one of them - she is your late bloomer - and she will be fine, but, from my experience, your stat is simply untrue, at least at NEFC.

Comment

Your 1/3 stat came from where? Every stud playing in college was recruited early. My DD isn't one of them - she is your late bloomer - and she will be fine, but, from my experience, your stat is simply untrue, at least at NEFC.
                Not the poster and yes the 8th grade recruit was very uncommon. But plenty were getting recruited as freshmen. Of course college coaches want more time to see where they go, both for soccer and grades. They wanted these changes. Even if rules are skirted once in awhile, it's still better for most. However, if everyone starts using loopholes again then it's all pointless.

Comment

I will tell all of you that you are all wet thinking that these rules are a better thing. The only ones that actually benefit from them are the bottom of the roster type of kid. They get to kid themselves and be naïve to the fact no one is really interested for a couple of more years, doesn't change their outcome though. Doesn't really change anyone's for that matter, all the rules do is compress the timeline which makes each step even MORE critical. Now no one has time to learn or make mistakes. I feel sorry for all of you going through this now. You had better hope that your club does right by you. My dd is playing in college. Recruited under the old rules. Started getting recruited in the 8th grade. We pushed back and worked OUR process (not the college coaches, not the club DOC's) and took our time. We knew we were in the drivers seat. That's what targeting is all about. Know what your product is, know who wants it. She committed in her soph year which was on the late side for her ilk of player then. During it all she felt a ton of pressure born mostly out of envy from teammates and their parents and was just relieved to have the decision made so she could get on with doing what she loved .. training to become the best soccer player she could be. Dragging this process out means dragging out the pain associated with it that much longer. No matter what level your kid is at none of this is actually fun. Went through it with 2 kids came out the other side exhausted and just glad to be done with it all.

Comment

I will tell all of you that you are all wet thinking that these rules are a better thing. The only ones that actually benefit from them are the bottom of the roster type of kid. They get to kid themselves and be naïve to the fact no one is really interested for a couple of more years, doesn't change their outcome though. Doesn't really change anyone's for that matter, all the rules do is compress the timeline which makes each step even MORE critical. Now no one has time to learn or make mistakes. I feel sorry for all of you going through this now. You had better hope that your club does right by you. My dd is playing in college. Recruited under the old rules. Started getting recruited in the 8th grade. We pushed back and worked OUR process (not the college coaches, not the club DOC's) and took our time. We knew we were in the drivers seat. That's what targeting is all about. Know what your product is, know who wants it. She committed in her soph year which was on the late side for her ilk of player then. During it all she felt a ton of pressure born mostly out of envy from teammates and their parents and was just relieved to have the decision made so she could get on with doing what she loved .. training to become the best soccer player she could be. Dragging this process out means dragging out the pain associated with it that much longer. No matter what level your kid is at none of this is actually fun. Went through it with 2 kids came out the other side exhausted and just glad to be done with it all.
                    There are plenty of strong players that are not interested in college soccer period so these rules have no affect on them at all. If your player is looking to play college ball, I doubt these rules will change anything that much at all.

Comment

There are plenty of strong players that are not interested in college soccer period so these rules have no affect on them at all. If your player is looking to play college ball, I doubt these rules will change anything that much at all.
                      Maybe, but if that were the case, their parents wouldn't be on TS.
                      Go yell in the woods

Comment

Yours is a prime example of why the rules needed to be changed - she wasn't ready to make a decision. You just argued against your own point. Kids and coaches will always make mistakes, so do non athletes. But gaining a few years of wisdom and getting a better sense of where your fit as a student and player will only help increase the likelihood of getting it right.

Comment

Maybe, but if that were the case, their parents wouldn't be on TS.
                          Go yell in the woods
                          The next 1-2 years will be a transitional one. If coaches follow it the parental anxiety will be lessened. If coaches continue to skirt the rules it won't go away and parents will continue to push their kids to commit early through backdoor channels. They're paranoid their kid will miss out

Comment

Yeah, well the boys side have been managing ok with this timeline. You girls' parents will adjust and be fine. Really.

Comment

Yeah, well the boys side have been managing ok with this timeline. You girls' parents will adjust and be fine. Really.
                              Not a great comparison. There's very little $ in boys soccer. Plus, most of the "top" male players in this region are ending up at NESCACs, Ivies, etc. --- not necessarily the top 30 programs in the country.

For girls, the majority of the rosters for the top club teams are D1 recruits with scholarship $ to be pursued. We saw this with my D's roster; once the first couple of kids committed it became a race between the remaining parents to get their kids committed SOMEWHERE for some kind of $ so as not to be left out. It led to several families making choices they later regretted (e.g., aiming too high, taking the largest $ offer vs. the best fit, etc.). The pressure on the kids to make decisions was not just driven by the parents. My D often said that the players were constantly talking about it, asking eachother what was going on, questioning why certain players hadn't made decisions yet, etc. It ramped up the pressure on those that were not ready or trying to manage their AI, etc. to just get it over with.

I don't know whether the new rules will help this dynamic very much. If families simply wait longer to get started figuring out where their kid might have the best collegiate experience, they'll be forced into a highly-compressed, very stressful decision cycle that may make them feel like they have a gun to their heads. That will really suck for most of the players that are in the middle of the top teams in club soccer. The situation for the studs will be largely unchanged, IMO, and the kids going Ivy/D3 will probably not change much either. The kids going to AAC, Big East, PL, Metro Atlantic, etc. will be in a real scramble.

Comment

Yours is a prime example of why the rules needed to be changed - she wasn't ready to make a decision. You just argued against your own point. Kids and coaches will always make mistakes, so do non athletes. But gaining a few years of wisdom and getting a better sense of where your fit as a student and player will only help increase the likelihood of getting it right.
                                Changed for whose benefit? We were in control of the process and ended up with a fantastic outcome. We knew what we had for a student/player very early on and started preparing her for the process accordingly. If you didn't and your player ended up making a bad choice that's your fault, there are plenty of families that handled the situation accordingly and ended up with great outcomes. No need to change the rules for them. All changing the rules did was make it more difficult for those sorts to get their deal done. Governing bodies who issue rules and regulations aren't the answer for everything.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X