X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message to Mr. Sperry

Dear Mr. Sperry,

You are obviously new to club soccer so I am going to sincerely try to help you navigate what can be a frustrating and challenging road. I hope you take the time to read and consider this.

If you look back to the beginning of this thread, it started out in a very general and typical way - "looks like Eugene, Vancouver, and Westside will be competing to win league." The very second post was from a Eugene parent and was what I would call a "look at us!" type of post. That post really started this whole thread down the path it has taken.

It is obvious you are frustrated with the posts in the thread, but given the source, you might consider directing your self-righteous lecture (that IS how you came off) to the people on your own sidelines and not the whole of Talking Soccer. You have a better chance of getting your point across that way.

Second, it is obvious by the content of these threads that something odd is going on with this team. I have been around club soccer for a while. My 02 daughter is #3 in our family. I have never seen such a vehement outcry of "dirty play" and "dirty coaching" about a team after just two games. Where there's smoke, there is usually fire. And if the team is being coached to play dirty, this type of negativity and outcry will continue. And you have two choices - either have your kid leave the team, or develop a thicker skin. What you should not do is come on TS and get all huffy defending your team - because you are throwing gasoline on that fire. My middle daughter's team played your coach's older team a few years back. He was a screamer then and probably still is. It doesn't surprise me one bit to read the complaints about him and the team in general, even though I haven't seen the team play - simply because I have seen HIM in action. If you genuinely don't know if the team is playing dirty, and you genuinely want to know, I suggest you video a game and attempt to watch it with an unbiased eye. Better yet, ask a friend who you trust to be honest with you for his/her opinion. You might be surprised by what you see and hear.

I have to address some of the actual content of your post. People on this chat board often say "we played" or "we beat." We all know and understand that the kids aren't posting and the parents don't play. But it's easier than saying "my daughter's team played" or my son's team beat" - kind of like how you will see DD or DS on here - it's shorthand.

I also take exception to your comment that most of the girls won't play soccer after high school. I don't know what the Eugene club's college prep/recruiting assistance is like. If your daughter is an 02 that means she's likely an 8th or 9th grader so you may not know either. But Eugene has a good reputation (for a small town) of getting girls to college including D1 schools (current players on Oregon and Oregon State rosters). There are many, many opportunities for girls to play beyond high school - D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JuCo. While you may not have intended it, your derision of girls who have dreams and aspirations of playing at the next level was pretty lame. I have a girl playing in college, a girl verbally committed to play in college, and an 02 with dreams of her own. I would never, ever tell her she can't do it. She may not get to play at the level she wants to play at. She may "settle" for D2 or D3 instead of playing for UW, which is her current dream. But there's a place in college for girls who are willing to work hard and be great leaders and teammates. Your dismissive attitude towards young women's aspirations shows a lack of understanding of the purpose of club soccer and the high school club soccer process as a whole. Hopefully your coach and DOC can educate you on this. But if you truly think your kid has no chance to play at the next level, why are you doing club? It's expensive and requires a lot of travel and commitment from families. Why don't you just do rec - don't they have a rec program for high school players in Eugene?

Last, and I cannot emphasize this enough, I strongly encourage you to think more carefully before you post, and not to post from a place of anger. The smartest thing you could have done last night was write out your big long angry reply...and leave it alone and go to bed. Then get up this morning after a good night's sleep, read it again, and ask yourself if you really wanted those words, attached to YOUR name, attached to your DAUGHTER'S name, on the internet forever for all to see. You do understand that not only do we all know your name, but we now know who your daughter is, correct? And you do understand that you have no idea who is reading this - whether they are pedophiles, criminals, college coaches, her DOC, her teammates, her opponents - anyone can see this? You may feel like signing your name to your post was an act of courage. I see it as an act of recklessness. And your DOC, who is very highly respected in Oregon youth soccer, would likely tell you the same thing.

Last point - please. All caps is rude. It is widely understood to be shouting. If you meant to shout your entire post, that demonstrates how angry you were when you wrote it. If you did not mean to shout your entire post, that fundamental error makes people take your words, no matter how well intended, less seriously. Lose the all caps. And maybe consider stepping away from the computer as a whole for a while.

Comment

As a Westside parent just getting wind of this blog I will say I didn't think the guy sounded deranged, angy or shouty but factual and to the point. I can't help but feel as though we have a couple of transplant parents making us all look a little trashy. You took the bait, exposed yourself and just like the guy said, you ended up looking like an idiot. He appeared to talking to everyone not just the North or the South.

Come on Westside we are better than this, stop all ridiculousness!

Comment

Wowser, this guy really provoked someone to write that long of a reply when all he was saying was SHUT UP? I wonder if the parents that keep replying after his post are the parents I hear saying how awesome their kid is while watching the game? Please also write your name on your next post so we know who you are "Mr./Mrs. Unregistered User" who just gave us all a life lesson on club soccer and what not to do.

On your next post please put your name so we can get you the hell off the team! You really are an idiot to take have taken the bait! At least he put his name, might you do the same please? :-)

Comment

Best post ever

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Dear Mr. Sperry,

You are obviously new to club soccer so I am going to sincerely try to help you navigate what can be a frustrating and challenging road. I hope you take the time to read and consider this.

If you look back to the beginning of this thread, it started out in a very general and typical way - "looks like Eugene, Vancouver, and Westside will be competing to win league." The very second post was from a Eugene parent and was what I would call a "look at us!" type of post. That post really started this whole thread down the path it has taken.

It is obvious you are frustrated with the posts in the thread, but given the source, you might consider directing your self-righteous lecture (that IS how you came off) to the people on your own sidelines and not the whole of Talking Soccer. You have a better chance of getting your point across that way.

Second, it is obvious by the content of these threads that something odd is going on with this team. I have been around club soccer for a while. My 02 daughter is #3 in our family. I have never seen such a vehement outcry of "dirty play" and "dirty coaching" about a team after just two games. Where there's smoke, there is usually fire. And if the team is being coached to play dirty, this type of negativity and outcry will continue. And you have two choices - either have your kid leave the team, or develop a thicker skin. What you should not do is come on TS and get all huffy defending your team - because you are throwing gasoline on that fire. My middle daughter's team played your coach's older team a few years back. He was a screamer then and probably still is. It doesn't surprise me one bit to read the complaints about him and the team in general, even though I haven't seen the team play - simply because I have seen HIM in action. If you genuinely don't know if the team is playing dirty, and you genuinely want to know, I suggest you video a game and attempt to watch it with an unbiased eye. Better yet, ask a friend who you trust to be honest with you for his/her opinion. You might be surprised by what you see and hear.

I have to address some of the actual content of your post. People on this chat board often say "we played" or "we beat." We all know and understand that the kids aren't posting and the parents don't play. But it's easier than saying "my daughter's team played" or my son's team beat" - kind of like how you will see DD or DS on here - it's shorthand.

I also take exception to your comment that most of the girls won't play soccer after high school. I don't know what the Eugene club's college prep/recruiting assistance is like. If your daughter is an 02 that means she's likely an 8th or 9th grader so you may not know either. But Eugene has a good reputation (for a small town) of getting girls to college including D1 schools (current players on Oregon and Oregon State rosters). There are many, many opportunities for girls to play beyond high school - D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JuCo. While you may not have intended it, your derision of girls who have dreams and aspirations of playing at the next level was pretty lame. I have a girl playing in college, a girl verbally committed to play in college, and an 02 with dreams of her own. I would never, ever tell her she can't do it. She may not get to play at the level she wants to play at. She may "settle" for D2 or D3 instead of playing for UW, which is her current dream. But there's a place in college for girls who are willing to work hard and be great leaders and teammates. Your dismissive attitude towards young women's aspirations shows a lack of understanding of the purpose of club soccer and the high school club soccer process as a whole. Hopefully your coach and DOC can educate you on this. But if you truly think your kid has no chance to play at the next level, why are you doing club? It's expensive and requires a lot of travel and commitment from families. Why don't you just do rec - don't they have a rec program for high school players in Eugene?

Last, and I cannot emphasize this enough, I strongly encourage you to think more carefully before you post, and not to post from a place of anger. The smartest thing you could have done last night was write out your big long angry reply...and leave it alone and go to bed. Then get up this morning after a good night's sleep, read it again, and ask yourself if you really wanted those words, attached to YOUR name, attached to your DAUGHTER'S name, on the internet forever for all to see. You do understand that not only do we all know your name, but we now know who your daughter is, correct? And you do understand that you have no idea who is reading this - whether they are pedophiles, criminals, college coaches, her DOC, her teammates, her opponents - anyone can see this? You may feel like signing your name to your post was an act of courage. I see it as an act of recklessness. And your DOC, who is very highly respected in Oregon youth soccer, would likely tell you the same thing.

Last point - please. All caps is rude. It is widely understood to be shouting. If you meant to shout your entire post, that demonstrates how angry you were when you wrote it. If you did not mean to shout your entire post, that fundamental error makes people take your words, no matter how well intended, less seriously. Lose the all caps. And maybe consider stepping away from the computer as a whole for a while.

This is the best post I've read on TS. Thank you. I am amazed at your sanity and reasonable perspective after 3 girls in competitive soccer. Oregon girls' soccer is chock full of crazy. Your post was a breath of fresh air.

Comment

hooray for drunk midnight all-caps personally stamped posts

Comment

Well said Shane, whomever you are! It appears someone took offense to your short but straight forward line of thinking. What we can all take away from his thread:

- Stop the nonsense
              - Stop living vicariously through your children
              - It's not about us the parents but them the children
              - We all need to simply support our kids and their efforts
              - We need to act as adults and not school children ourselves
              - We the parents do need to just shut up

Is that really such a bad thing? We can all do better, I'm sure of it!

Comment

This is the best post I've read on TS. Thank you. I am amazed at your sanity and reasonable perspective after 3 girls in competitive soccer. Oregon girls' soccer is chock full of crazy. Your post was a breath of fresh air.
                Thank you - in typical TS fashion, one post thinks my OP was great and another thinks I'm a cowardly lunatic. I will add:

You will never ever see me attach my name to anything I've posted here. It is not courageous to do so - it is reckless. I've been through the recruiting process and the last thing I would want to do is jeopardize my DD's chances to play at the next level because I came on TS or any chat board and spouted off. I don't post here very often and when I do, it will anonymously and with no apologies.

Second, I never said that Mr. Sperry didn't have a few good points in his original post. However, his delivery came across very poorly and he shined an unwanted spotlight on himself, his kid, his coach, his team, his DOC, and his club. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing. Especially when what you want to say is coming from a place of anger, which it clearly was in his case.

Comment

Ok Mr. Shouty. Thank you for proving how absolutely insane the 02 parent group is. Good luck to Eugene's 02 coach and DOC. You're gonna need it.
                  How much do you want to bet that this guy has the Eugene kid who has issues trying to hurt other players intentionally. People are saying it's the coach, BD that promotes targeting and cheap shots.

Comment

How much do you want to bet that this guy has the Eugene kid who has issues trying to hurt other players intentionally. People are saying it's the coach, BD that promotes targeting and cheap shots.
                    No, Sperry's kid isn't the Enforcer. But he coached the Enforcer from uLittles on a rec team so I'm guessing that's why he is having a tantrum.

Comment

No, Sperry's kid isn't the Enforcer. But he coached the Enforcer from uLittles on a rec team so I'm guessing that's why he is having a tantrum.
                      More like the Terminator than the Enforcer. Coach needs to step up and stop that kind of play. In the meantime, video video video. They'll dial it back if they know someone is recording. Safety of the players should come first.

Comment

9.1% of high school soccer players from the 2015-2016 school year went on to play college soccer at some level:

1.4% NCAA I
                        1.4% NCAA II
                        2.8% NCAA III
                        1.3% NAIA
                        1.2% NJCAA
                        1.0% Other

Facts are facts all, even if they are alternative facts

Comment

I just love how personal this has gotten! Such class! Someone writes something that get's you all butt hurt and now you throw his kid in front of the bus and or someone else's player, super classy!

You are really representing my daughter, your daughters and their team super well. Great job team, great job!

I'm on board with Mr. Sperry! We all need to shut up

Comment

9.1% of high school soccer players from the 2015-2016 school year went on to play college soccer at some level:

1.4% NCAA I
                            1.4% NCAA II
                            2.8% NCAA III
                            1.3% NAIA
                            1.2% NJCAA
                            1.0% Other

Facts are facts all, even if they are alternative facts
                            Correct. Also from USYS - there are 24,811 youth soccer players registered in Oregon. 9% of that number is a little more that 2,200. That many kids who are currently playing all levels of youth soccer in Oregon will go on to college. 99.99% of those players will come from club teams in our state. So no, it is not at all unreasonable for a club player on a premier team to expect to play in college. Thank you for proving my point.

Comment

I just love how personal this has gotten! Such class! Someone writes something that get's you all butt hurt and now you throw his kid in front of the bus and or someone else's player, super classy!

You are really representing my daughter, your daughters and their team super well. Great job team, great job!

I'm on board with Mr. Sperry! We all need to shut up
                              He threw his own kid under the bus by responding to the silliness on here with anger. On a different note, the Eugene/FCP game this weekend should be entertaining.

Comment

More like the Terminator than the Enforcer. Coach needs to step up and stop that kind of play. In the meantime, video video video. They'll dial it back if they know someone is recording. Safety of the players should come first.
                                Ahead 6-0 & head butting a girl half your size to the ground after the play is over & the ball long gone so the ref doesn't see isn't "big girl soccer", it's "assault". Eugene, you are better than this. Please.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X