Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Way to quiet on sporting front. I thought some moron said major news to come out
    They lost a ton of players

Comment

To who?

Comment

To who?
        Have to believe some families just don't want the EDP travel, especially from their location. EDP or NYSCL is only ok from Fairfield County. A few Sporting teams did ok in EDP (especially if they're in the 2nd division; 1sst division teams struggled more). Younger teams in CCSL generally did well, older teams struggled more (eg U14G not one win). Virtually no one played in State Cup - not that that's a good indication of quality but I recall in a thread about them last year not one team won the cup. If you can't dominate your state should you be going into regional teams with so much travel?

Comment

Have to believe some families just don't want the EDP travel, especially from their location. EDP or NYSCL is only ok from Fairfield County. A few Sporting teams did ok in EDP (especially if they're in the 2nd division; 1sst division teams struggled more). Younger teams in CCSL generally did well, older teams struggled more (eg U14G not one win). Virtually no one played in State Cup - not that that's a good indication of quality but I recall in a thread about them last year not one team won the cup. If you can't dominate your state should you be going into regional teams with so much travel?
          My kid was at Sporting last year, I didn't hear many people complain about the EDP travel. People have tons of other gripes about the club, but the travel did not appear to be one. People just accept it at that age. They did scale back next year and the U12 boys and girls are staying local.

Comment

What about the coach from FSA coming to the club ? I don't see him on the website ? He still on FSA site...I heard good things about him.

Comment

I've had four kids play for a total of four clubs combined (Sporting, Oakwood, CFCU and FSA- and travel). I've never been involved with a club where some parents didn't complain about something. I think Sporting generally does a good job when it comes to value for your money. It's not Academy or ECNL, but it's also significantly cheaper.

If you're looking for your son/daughter to play in high school, then Sporting does a good job with that. Good competition, good coaching and small rosters, so lots of playing time.

If, however, your son/daughter wants to play in college, then Academy or ECNL is the way to go. Sporting won't get you there.

Based on my experience, CFCU NPL or FSA NPL will not get the job done for college either (a few exceptions, I know). Your kids needs to be at a higher level.

That's the central/northern CT soccer scene in a nutshell. The other clubs aren't worth mentioning.

Comment

I agree, Sporting is probably the top club to have emerged from all the start-ups in the past few years. Their problem is top leagues are full. I also agree about NPL. It's no-man's land. Most clubs' B teams. Very expensive and not much college exposure. In that case, I would send my kid to Sporting, or Everton or Ginga. Cheaper and just as good. Mid-level club A team is often better than big club B teams.

Comment

My kid was at Sporting last year, I didn't hear many people complain about the EDP travel. People have tons of other gripes about the club, but the travel did not appear to be one. People just accept it at that age. They did scale back next year and the U12 boys and girls are staying local.
                  At "that"age? A lot of their teams are Ulittle. They shouldn't be traveling. 13+ is fine but from thr middle of the state EDP is a hike. Too bad they didn't get NEP

Comment

I've had four kids play for a total of four clubs combined (Sporting, Oakwood, CFCU and FSA- and travel). I've never been involved with a club where some parents didn't complain about something. I think Sporting generally does a good job when it comes to value for your money. It's not Academy or ECNL, but it's also significantly cheaper.

If you're looking for your son/daughter to play in high school, then Sporting does a good job with that. Good competition, good coaching and small rosters, so lots of playing time.

If, however, your son/daughter wants to play in college, then Academy or ECNL is the way to go. Sporting won't get you there.

Based on my experience, CFCU NPL or FSA NPL will not get the job done for college either (a few exceptions, I know). Your kids needs to be at a higher level.

That's the central/northern CT soccer scene in a nutshell. The other clubs aren't worth mentioning.
                    So you admit your a club hopppng whore

Comment

Sporting built itself up by playing in low-tier tournaments and winning them (low flights too). Their customers aren't well informed so this perceived "success" preyed on their delusions.

Sporting should've kept going to weak tournaments and focused on consolidating CT "State Cup" first especially since the major players (OW, CFC, and FSA) had gone and left it should've been easy to pick up at least a couple of those to market on their website. Instead they extended themselves far too soon. The end result is weakening of their foundation.

Comment

Sporting made a huge error when they felt they could be one of the big boys. If people want Regional play and/or Academy they will go to those clubs. Sporting should have kept being the best in state club. Now they are in trouble.

Comment

So you admit your a club hopppng whore
                          Not the poster - but if he had four players as he said then four clubs wouldn't at all be unusual. I've only got two kids and we've been at four clubs + travel - two lower level to start then moved up to higher level. Each player needs something different and especially if you have different genders it would be unusual to have everyone at the same club

Comment

Sporting made a huge error when they felt they could be one of the big boys. If people want Regional play and/or Academy they will go to those clubs. Sporting should have kept being the best in state club. Now they are in trouble.
                            They didn't even master that - I think one team won state cup last year.

Comment

When are they posting tryout results? My kid is driving me nuts

Comment

When are they posting tryout results? My kid is driving me nuts
                                Crazy idea...why don't you ask them instead of posting on here.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X