Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP . . . why all midfielders? Why stigma on Defense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Put a fork in it - ODP is dead in CT. Maybe other parts of the country where there are less competitive programs/clubs - ODP still has relevance. In CT we focus on 2nd rate academy battles - OW v BS, 2nd rate ECNL battles - FSA v CFC, 2nd (or if pro-ECNL boys 3rd rate) NPL battles - FSA v CFC or EDP v NPL, and the spat of pop up clubs and has been club premier, town travels in premier and dying former regional clubs (names removed to protect the guilty and innocent.)

Best or worst thing I ever heard from a D1 coach at an ID camp my kid went to (full disclosure kid wants to go D3 for academics) - 4 worst states to do club soccer on the east coast - 1. CT, 2. VT, 3. ME. I guess NH and RI get a pass because they can be pulled in with easier commutes to MA.
    Yeah, MA and NYC are definitely too far for CT residents. Has your D1 coach friend been fired yet? He doesn't think any talent can come from any given state. Perhaps he should be fired if he excludes entire states worth of kids rather than take a chance and evaluate individual players. $5 he isn't a successful D1 coach if he still has his job.

Comment

Yeah, MA and NYC are definitely too far for CT residents. Has your D1 coach friend been fired yet? He doesn't think any talent can come from any given state. Perhaps he should be fired if he excludes entire states worth of kids rather than take a chance and evaluate individual players. $5 he isn't a successful D1 coach if he still has his job.
      Boy your reading comprehension is zero LMAO

Comment

Put a fork in it - ODP is dead in CT. Maybe other parts of the country where there are less competitive programs/clubs - ODP still has relevance. In CT we focus on 2nd rate academy battles - OW v BS, 2nd rate ECNL battles - FSA v CFC, 2nd (or if pro-ECNL boys 3rd rate) NPL battles - FSA v CFC or EDP v NPL, and the spat of pop up clubs and has been club premier, town travels in premier and dying former regional clubs (names removed to protect the guilty and innocent.)

Best or worst thing I ever heard from a D1 coach at an ID camp my kid went to (full disclosure kid wants to go D3 for academics) - 4 worst states to do club soccer on the east coast - 1. CT, 2. VT, 3. ME. I guess NH and RI get a pass because they can be pulled in with easier commutes to MA.
        You are correct about that. ODP is dead because they chose to do battle with the clubs instead of working with them.

By the way, that D1 coach likely doesn’t have a job or you misunderstood him. The top states for club soccer on the east coast are in order: 1. NJ. 2 MA. 3 CT. 4 VA. 5 EPA. 6 ENY. 7 MD

It’s been that way for a long time. Going back to when ODP was king and continues to be the case today. The weakest? 1 ME. 2 WV. 3 VT. 4 RI. 5 NH. 6 PAW. 7 WNY

Think about it logically and look at the various college programs in those states. Rutgers, BC, BU, UCONN (before recently) all very good programs. Hofstra and Stony Brook good. URI was winless this year. UNH and UVM not great. ME not awful when they draw from Canada. MD improving but weak. Obviously there are other factors such as where do those schools draw from? But generally speaking the colleges follow the youth trend.

Comment

You are correct about that. ODP is dead because they chose to do battle with the clubs instead of working with them.

By the way, that D1 coach likely doesn’t have a job or you misunderstood him. The top states for club soccer on the east coast are in order: 1. NJ. 2 MA. 3 CT. 4 VA. 5 EPA. 6 ENY. 7 MD

It’s been that way for a long time. Going back to when ODP was king and continues to be the case today. The weakest? 1 ME. 2 WV. 3 VT. 4 RI. 5 NH. 6 PAW. 7 WNY

Think about it logically and look at the various college programs in those states. Rutgers, BC, BU, UCONN (before recently) all very good programs. Hofstra and Stony Brook good. URI was winless this year. UNH and UVM not great. ME not awful when they draw from Canada. MD improving but weak. Obviously there are other factors such as where do those schools draw from? But generally speaking the colleges follow the youth trend.
          In the NE there aren't many "top" soccer programs but plenty of top academic schools. Most students will go to school 2-5 hours drive from home. Most middle to upper income soccer families care more about the academics than the soccer. It's a match made in soccer mediocrity heaven.

Comment

West Virginia University?

Comment

(full disclosure kid wants to go D3 for academics)

uh huh

Comment

New to CT and to CT soccer landscape and my kids are still in elementary school - but a question to the poster (or others): What did the poster mean when ODP was dead because they were battling clubs? Should I completely rule out ODP in CT as a development avenue for my kids?

Comment

New to CT and to CT soccer landscape and my kids are still in elementary school - but a question to the poster (or others): What did the poster mean when ODP was dead because they were battling clubs? Should I completely rule out ODP in CT as a development avenue for my kids?
                  Unless you want to light your cash on fire.

CT ODP is awful. They hardly ever practice and no longer have any decent coaches. At one point coaches weren't even getting paid promptly. In other states where there's still money and effort put into ODP is ok. When your kids are age appropriate make sure they're with a good club that is either ECNL, DA or has access to PDP ID2.

Comment

At earlier age groups they are regionalized. It maybe worth it to try it.

Comment

^ This person is from CJSA or a current coach. Believe, they all suck... specially the ones doing the trainings in trumbull. My daughter had to go there instead of farmington and I asked for the money back and guess what I didn't get it. Stay away from it

Comment

^ This person is from CJSA or a current coach. Believe, they all suck... specially the ones doing the trainings in trumbull. My daughter had to go there instead of farmington and I asked for the money back and guess what I didn't get it. Stay away from it
                        Not a coach or CJSA weeny. The point was that because it’s regional at least you don’t have to get up at butt crack early to travel to Farmington. It’s a fairly painless introduction to ODP

Comment

Not a coach or CJSA weeny. The point was that because it’s regional at least you don’t have to get up at butt crack early to travel to Farmington. It’s a fairly painless introduction to ODP
                          And you know what that does? It just waters down what little player or coaching talent there is. It's just a way for CJSA to collect more checks, taking in whoever is foolish enough to do it.

Comment

And you know what that does? It just waters down what little player or coaching talent there is. It's just a way for CJSA to collect more checks, taking in whoever is foolish enough to do it.
                            No doubt.

Comment

If ODP stinks and is not relevant than why is CFC’s JO the Girls Director and why are there so many CFC ECNL players involved?

The reality is ODP is relevant, CFC leverages the program in state to build a girls program and position players for unique opportunities. Back in the day players in ODP needed to play in an active CJSA League. You need to look no further than States ODP program to understand what -pay for play- is all about, players not playing in state have access to this program.

Time for massive changes at CJSA and a more neutral organization!

Comment

If ODP stinks and is not relevant than why is CFC’s JO the Girls Director and why are there so many CFC ECNL players involved?

The reality is ODP is relevant, CFC leverages the program in state to build a girls program and position players for unique opportunities. Back in the day players in ODP needed to play in an active CJSA League. You need to look no further than States ODP program to understand what -pay for play- is all about, players not playing in state have access to this program.

Time for massive changes at CJSA and a more neutral organization!
                                The older players really aren't involved and obviously there's no DA level talent either. Ever since BDA came along and ECNL became a national behemoth for college exposure ODP started losing its importance. There's also other ID programs out there. The quality of players you're training with has plummeted. Couple that with CJSA stripping it down - fewer practices, weaker coaches, more $ - and you have the mess that is CT ODP today. As for CFC involvement - a bit of a resume filler as well as a way to pick up some talent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X