Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why should the coach play the entire roster?

That is what the JV squad is for. Those who cannot perform at varsity, play JV.

High School coaches generally need to win to hold their jobs. That's what the varsity is about.

The discontent is generally because those that can't or won't do what they must to be better, would rather have it given to them than earned it themselves. A good coach sets the standards and holds players accountable to them.
    I'm responding to the line High school soccer is not premiere soccer so it's not supposed to be good. My point is, "if it's not supposed to be good" then play the kids like a travel team and sub everyone. Dont pretend its good and that half your bench isnt good enough to play. If that were true, no varsity roster should ever be more than 16. That gives you 5 spares when the ACL's start blowing out.

Comment

I'm responding to the line High school soccer is not premiere soccer so it's not supposed to be good. My point is, "if it's not supposed to be good" then play the kids like a travel team and sub everyone. Dont pretend its good and that half your bench isnt good enough to play. If that were true, no varsity roster should ever be more than 16. That gives you 5 spares when the ACL's start blowing out.
      So don't let your precious DD play.

No HS isn't premier in that you rarely will have a roster of more equal talent. Coaches have to work with what they have. But you still have players who very much want to win and coaches who want the same to help keep their jobs. Starting in middle school in (most) premier programs players don't get equal PT. in premier and HS that gets parents panties in a bunch. For both the best talent/hardest workers get the time. HS coaches also want to pull up the younger players to start developing them for the next year or year after that. Club coaches don't do that. To only take 16 at a time is foolish from that standpoint, as well as from a substitution and injury standpoint. Also, schools want students active and involved. They don't care about the nuances of managing a soccer team.

HS is what it is. Accept it as that and the season will go more smoothly. If your kid and their friends are having fun, working hard, winning now and then, it's all good.

Comment

Your premise is wrong.

Who says high school soccer is not supposed to be good? Just those who like to denigrate that game.

In our town, there is no pretending. Our high school program is damn good.

Comment

Your premise is wrong.

Who says high school soccer is not supposed to be good? Just those who like to denigrate that game.

In our town, there is no pretending. Our high school program is damn good.
          Ours is decent (good years and bad, boys and girls) but the players and coaches take it very seriously. They love playing for the school, they bond as a group, they learn and improve (some more than others). Decent conference an state runs get fans in the stands and it's a lot of fun. All good stuff and I don't expect more than that. Like Original Ginga dad, a little history and learned perspective helps a great deal. For more serious players, the many more months with their club teams can give them what they're looking for in terms of better training and more competitive games.

- 4 time HS parent

Comment

Ours is decent (good years and bad, boys and girls) but the players and coaches take it very seriously. They love playing for the school, they bond as a group, they learn and improve (some more than others). Decent conference an state runs get fans in the stands and it's a lot of fun. All good stuff and I don't expect more than that. Like Original Ginga dad, a little history and learned perspective helps a great deal. For more serious players, the many more months with their club teams can give them what they're looking for in terms of better training and more competitive games.

- 4 time HS parent
            this x 100

HS is a great respite for club players. You play for your school and get to hang with kids from your town. If you're lucky to be at a good school in a good conference, all the better. When it's over, you go back to your club team and start the grind all over. It's all good.

Comment

this x 100

HS is a great respite for club players. You play for your school and get to hang with kids from your town. If you're lucky to be at a good school in a good conference, all the better. When it's over, you go back to your club team and start the grind all over. It's all good.
              Op here - thanks. Also, my club kids often got to play different positions in HS than they did in club, which is good for them as well. Yes HS has its ups and downs, but none have regretted it or would change a thing. They're only kids once

Comment

Op here - thanks. Also, my club kids often got to play different positions in HS than they did in club, which is good for them as well. Yes HS has its ups and downs, but none have regretted it or would change a thing. They're only kids once
                Same with my D. HS position different from club. Gets her to see the game differently. Works some different skill. Requires a different mindset. Like I said, all good. I don't get the complaining.

Comment

Tolland, farmington, simsbury, Granby, and staples looking good. St joes not as good as past years. Glastonbury is a great team but I don’t think they’ll get past the semis this year . Watch out for northwest catholic in the S class.

Comment

Tolland, farmington, simsbury, Granby, and staples looking good. St joes not as good as past years. Glastonbury is a great team but I don’t think they’ll get past the semis this year . Watch out for northwest catholic in the S class.
                    So you’ve seen them all play this year? Or strictly going on results? Just curious.

Comment

So you’ve seen them all play this year? Or strictly going on results? Just curious.
                      I have an octopus

Comment

I have an octopus
                        Cool. More interesting than a Magic 8 ball, but probably the same results

Comment

Yes actually I have. I try to attend as many games as possible So I can give the girls I train meaningful feedback. I was impressed with the aforementioned teams.

Comment

Yes actually I have. I try to attend as many games as possible So I can give the girls I train meaningful feedback. I was impressed with the aforementioned teams.
                            so you watched the stjs warde game?

Comment

Ok.....so you watched granby and staples. Ok.....what league do your girls play in that they would play both of those teams....ever?

Not to say, how do you coach your team and have all that time in the first week to go watch all those teams around the state.

My bs meter is going off the chart. You are the hardest working coach for tha 10k they pay you

Comment

Tolland? They will be lucky if they don't lose by more than four this afternoon against Glastonbury.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X