Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know if WUE aid Can be Stacked?

I have a 2021 1th grade player hoping to play college soccer. He has started to research schools. He and I share a google doc where he lists the schools and relevant info about the school and soccer program and I research the cost of attending using the net price calculator. There are D2 schools in Washington, Idaho, and Montana on his list (casting a wide net) that are WUE schools. His GPA is 3.2 and his SAT is 900 (likely to not improve). We are not ruling out JUCO but definitely want to explore D2. D3 is out of reach because he would not qualify for merit aid and we cannot pay D3 costs. Open to NAIA too.

Does anyone know how WUE works with stackable athletic aid?

You should contact individual school's financial aid department. Several WUE schools require higher than normal GPA and test scores to earn the award. Your son should look into WUE Jucos. He can always transfer after and Juco coaches work hard to get their players recruited. Best of luck to him.

Comment

As a male player there won't be a lot of athletic money available. There's fewer scholarships out there for men and more international players taking a hefty portion of the $. Make sure he looks closely at the rosters of schools he's targeting - if it's mostly international players, move on. What are the resumes of the starters? If a coach doesn't see him as an impact player he won't get much $. Targeting both the school and soccer programs right can result in better $. Be a better than average student for the school and a better than average player for the program. If you barely get on a roster or past the admissions office there won't be much for him. You may qualify for decent financial aid depending on your income, but a lot of soccer families make too much to qualify for that yet not enough to afford college (like a lot of American families these days. Nothing wrong with starting
      off lower and at a lower price to get your core classes done then transfer to a better school later. Where you get the final degree from matters more than who you got there.

Sorry I can't help you with the stacking question. There are rules about stacking but I don't don't know about WUE specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        As a male player there won't be a lot of athletic money available. There's fewer scholarships out there for men and more international players taking a hefty portion of the $. Make sure he looks closely at the rosters of schools he's targeting - if it's mostly international players, move on. What are the resumes of the starters? If a coach doesn't see him as an impact player he won't get much $. Targeting both the school and soccer programs right can result in better $. Be a better than average student for the school and a better than average player for the program. If you barely get on a roster or past the admissions office there won't be much for him. You may qualify for decent financial aid depending on your income, but a lot of soccer families make too much to qualify for that yet not enough to afford college (like a lot of American families these days. Nothing wrong with starting
        off lower and at a lower price to get your core classes done then transfer to a better school later. Where you get the final degree from matters more than how you got there.

Sorry I can't help you with the stacking question. There are rules about stacking but I don't don't know about WUE specifically.
        sorry typo

Comment

off lower and at a lower price to get your core classes done then transfer to a better school later. Where you get the final degree from matters more than who you got there.

You described my family to a T as far as the income goes! My son received an offer
          To a local NAIA school but it was next to nothing. Does anyone know what the average scholarship is for a freshman at an NAIA school?

Comment

You described my family to a T as far as the income goes! My son received an offer
            To a local NAIA school but it was next to nothing. Does anyone know what the average scholarship is for a freshman at an NAIA school?
            Keep in mind they only have 12 full scholarships to divide amongst the entire team. If you have a couple kids with full then that leaves 10 to be divided amongst 26-28 kids

Comment

Keep in mind they only have 12 full scholarships to divide amongst the entire team. If you have a couple kids with full then that leaves 10 to be divided amongst 26-28 kids
              Regular D1 only have 9.9 scholarships for men, women have 14. Do the math. Give some good money to a few studs and internationals and there isn't much left for players 5-28

Comment

I have a 2021 1th grade player hoping to play college soccer. He has started to research schools. He and I share a google doc where he lists the schools and relevant info about the school and soccer program and I research the cost of attending using the net price calculator. There are D2 schools in Washington, Idaho, and Montana on his list (casting a wide net) that are WUE schools. His GPA is 3.2 and his SAT is 900 (likely to not improve). We are not ruling out JUCO but definitely want to explore D2. D3 is out of reach because he would not qualify for merit aid and we cannot pay D3 costs. Open to NAIA too.

Does anyone know how WUE works with stackable athletic aid?
                Honestly?- with that gpa and test score he should not even be playing soccer and instead should be focused on his education. He obviously is not that talented or big schools would have already found a way to get your slacker into school...

Comment

Honestly?- with that gpa and test score he should not even be playing soccer and instead should be focused on his education. He obviously is not that talented or big schools would have already found a way to get your slacker into school...
                  A bit harsh but you are correct that grades and scores are going to be a big issue regardless of soccer skills. coaches won't fight for weaker students unless the kids is a real stud. Kids with strong academic records have more options and are more likely to get merit money. Not for nothing but a year or two of local community college/or local branch U to bring up his grades may be a better path. Then he can transfer to a better school. All that matters is where the final paper comes from, not how it was obtained.

Comment

It’s only 9.9 scholarships I thought?

Comment

It’s only 9.9 scholarships I thought?
                      Read above - 9.9 for men, 14 for women, assuming it's fully funded. Not every school is - it's all driven by the presence of a football team and how fully funded that is. I think football can have up to 85 scholarships but some smaller schools don't have that many.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X