Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not the OP but I interpreted it he was saying they did show up at 01 games. And that's accurate based on our 01 games. Great turnout at every game even the one that was at a more remote location. Best turnout at Harmony which isn't surprising.
    Good to hear. With all this talk of Oregon soccer is mediocre and so watered down, college coaches came out full force to recruit regular oysa players.

Comment

Good to hear. With all this talk of Oregon soccer is mediocre and so watered down, college coaches came out full force to recruit regular oysa players.
      I agree. To be fair, they were not "top" programs. I saw one D1, two D2, and the rest D3/NAIA/JC. The people who like to scream and argue about ECNL and academy being the only way to go will sneer at that. But I've been around long enough to know that many of those ECNL/academy "elite" commit kids end up barely playing in college, or not playing at all, or transferring from school to school. There's something to be said for being humble and self aware and finding a school that is a good fit academically AND soccer wise. For the vast majority of Oregon players - whether they have ENCL, academy, or OYSA on their resume, the coaches at the showcase were very appropriate for their level and ability.

Comment

I agree. To be fair, they were not "top" programs. I saw one D1, two D2, and the rest D3/NAIA/JC. The people who like to scream and argue about ECNL and academy being the only way to go will sneer at that. But I've been around long enough to know that many of those ECNL/academy "elite" commit kids end up barely playing in college, or not playing at all, or transferring from school to school. There's something to be said for being humble and self aware and finding a school that is a good fit academically AND soccer wise. For the vast majority of Oregon players - whether they have ENCL, academy, or OYSA on their resume, the coaches at the showcase were very appropriate for their level and ability.
        You are hitting on an important point. D1 coaches are out looking at freshman and soph's (They already have their older commits) and the majority of the players in OYSA can play college but its not going to be at a D1 level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player who loves soccer, playing at a D3 level or any other level. This event was very good for the majority of OSYA players.

Comment

To be fair, OYSA has many equal D1 commits to mid to low D1 programs just like gda and ecnl, though the “elite” pathways have more. The commits to schools like Stanford (GDA) and Baylor/Notre Dame (ecnl) are very rare for Oregon players and usually come from gda/ecnl or a rare travel team like FCSC 99. True that Oregon commits to D1 programs often don’t play much but some do. That said, same goes for Oregon commits to D2 and D3. Some play all game and more don’t play all that much. Some players would rather go to a mid level D1 and not play much at all rather than start and play all game at a D3 school. Many pick the opposite. Most kids pick the college for academics but some put soccer first. I’ve seen players pick a D1 or D2 state school for soccer even though the could’ve gone to a better academic D3 and played soccer or a better academic D1 and played on the club soccer team. I’ve also seen the opposite. Different for every player and where their priorities are. Nice to see that lots of college coaches at all levels were out recruiting at the Timbers Winter Showcase. That’s a win for everyone.

Comment

You are hitting on an important point. D1 coaches are out looking at freshman and soph's (They already have their older commits) and the majority of the players in OYSA can play college but its not going to be at a D1 level. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player who loves soccer, playing at a D3 level or any other level. This event was very good for the majority of OSYA players.
            This may be true for girls? But not for boys. D1 schools usually don’t sign boys until their senior year from my understanding.

Comment

This may be true for girls? But not for boys. D1 schools usually don’t sign boys until their senior year from my understanding.
              For NCAA DI and DII, only players that are seniors (boys and girls) in high school, or juniors graduating early, can't sign until their final year in high school. For 2019/2020 graduates, signing started November 13, 2019 and continues until August 1, 2020.

Comment

For NCAA DI and DII, only players that are seniors (boys and girls) in high school, or juniors graduating early, can't sign until their final year in high school. For 2019/2020 graduates, signing started November 13, 2019 and continues until August 1, 2020.
                There is a difference between signing for a school and being offered and accepting. Girls D1 and D2 do look at freshman and sophmores because Girls physically develop earlier so they get recruited earlier, boys grow later, so coaches want to see them later in their development.

Comment

There is a difference between signing for a school and being offered and accepting. Girls D1 and D2 do look at freshman and sophmores because Girls physically develop earlier so they get recruited earlier, boys grow later, so coaches want to see them later in their development.
                  The comment talked about "signings."

Read the newer rule for verbals. Better look up the word "recruit" while you're at it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X