Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going back to graduation year from birth year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm surprised the USSF would even consider it, given that they are responsible for this mess. I thought the rumor was that the ECNL was voting on it this weekend. They don't need to follow the USSF...
    I did say "I assume it was USSF" because I know an ECNL rep was there as well as NPL and US youth soccer. it was not a meeting specifically to deal with the age issue … it was a broad , how to make us soccer better type of meeting. The person I know that was there was to discuss his feelings about Colleges bringing in International players is something that is detrimental to US players that are graduating HS at 18 having to compete with 24 year old semi pro players. and questioned that Schools that get state funding giving free rides to international players (private schools can do whatever they want). The birth year thing was something that was also brought up, talked about and the ECNL rep voted to keep things as is. yes they can have their own meeting in Vegas and go their own way... so can US youth soccer. but I would think it would be weird for their rep to vote it down if they supported changing it. I was not at this meeting, did not speak with the person that went to this meeting. I heard it from someone that spoke to the person at the meeting. My kid is one of the trap players and I was really hoping for the change so it's not news that I wanted to hear.

Comment

I did say "I assume it was USSF" because I know an ECNL rep was there as well as NPL and US youth soccer. it was not a meeting specifically to deal with the age issue … it was a broad , how to make us soccer better type of meeting. The person I know that was there was to discuss his feelings about Colleges bringing in International players is something that is detrimental to US players that are graduating HS at 18 having to compete with 24 year old semi pro players. and questioned that Schools that get state funding giving free rides to international players (private schools can do whatever they want). The birth year thing was something that was also brought up, talked about and the ECNL rep voted to keep things as is. yes they can have their own meeting in Vegas and go their own way... so can US youth soccer. but I would think it would be weird for their rep to vote it down if they supported changing it. I was not at this meeting, did not speak with the person that went to this meeting. I heard it from someone that spoke to the person at the meeting. My kid is one of the trap players and I was really hoping for the change so it's not news that I wanted to hear.
      Sounds legit

Comment

Most middle schools have soccer and most of these supposed "trapped" 8th graders play on those teams. Not seeing where there is a real issue...
        Uhmm, their club teams are off for HS soccer season

Comment

That is what i heard also - ECNL under US club soccer - they can do what they want. They have their meeting this coming weekend in Vegas. And if they want to capture even more market share they will vote to go back to school year. It would be sweet to see them give the big FU to USSF.

The birth year benefits the DA teams we bc they want their cutoff system in line with national teams. - since the DA claims to be the path to the national team. And they don’t allow high school ball - so no trapped player issue for them.

ECnl benefits from a school year cut off system since their goal is for kids to play college soccer and a school year system aligns better with recruiting and playing in college. There will be many many more kids that have a shot at playing in college than they do at the national team level. And going back to school year will eliminate the whole trapped player issue and the senior year issue. It should be a no brainer for ECNL.
          All true and I do agree with you. If ECNL does do it, others will certainly follow.

Rumors also of DA giving power back to the clubs, meaning EDP would take over. I think they are preparing for MLS clubs to leave. If that happens, I could see EDP running DA and they then would change to match ECNL. They could be a year behind and will lead to them losing membership and having their tournaments lose many teams. US Soccer would then focus more on regional camps an development of players, which makes sense.

ECNL controls everything right now with this issue and can set the market if the desire.

Comment

Uhmm, their club teams are off for HS soccer season
            and a lot of middle schools don't have school soccer teams. Plus, if people think HS soccer is bad? Oooofa. MS is truly unwatchable. At some clubs kids can train with younger teams, even play games if their league allows it, but that's not the same as training with your own team. Also, the parents of the "regular" 8th grade roster aren't super appreciative of the trapped kids taking playing time from their kids.

Comment

This is really amusing and completely wrong. A handful of middle schools have soccer teams across the state.
              In the fall NEP top 05 girls group which would be this year’s trapped 8th graders there were a ton of ECNL, ECNLR, and NPL players playing on teams so there were other opportunities to play other than just MS soccer.

Comment

and a lot of middle schools don't have school soccer teams. Plus, if people think HS soccer is bad? Oooofa. MS is truly unwatchable.
                You think MS is bad, you should watch kindergarten. Ouch!

Don't even get me started on the introductory stuff at U5. Cripes, half those kids shouldn't even be out there. Going to get someone hurt.

Comment

The person I know that was there was to discuss his feelings about Colleges bringing in International players is something that is detrimental to US players that are graduating HS at 18 having to compete with 24 year old semi pro players. and questioned that Schools that get state funding giving free rides to international players (private schools can do whatever they want).
                  The person you know really wasted their time then. USSF has zero influence on state universities.

Comment

All true and I do agree with you. If ECNL does do it, others will certainly follow.

Rumors also of DA giving power back to the clubs, meaning EDP would take over. I think they are preparing for MLS clubs to leave. If that happens, I could see EDP running DA and they then would change to match ECNL. They could be a year behind and will lead to them losing membership and having their tournaments lose many teams. US Soccer would then focus more on regional camps an development of players, which makes sense.

ECNL controls everything right now with this issue and can set the market if the desire.
                    If ECNL is smart they will lead the way and change back to school year cutoff, because If the DA ever decides to allow high school ball the ECNL will lose players. Ecnl should strike while the iron is hot and put another nail in the DA’s coffin.

Maybe at the so called MLK meeting with all the soccer ECNL voted no and played along to catch the others off guard. But at the ECNL meeting could change their mind. Not a bad strategy. ECNL should take the lead on this issue and make USSF look even worse

Comment

The person you know really wasted their time then. USSF has zero influence on state universities.
                      I here what you're saying but sometimes it's not direct influence with one group or not... I lived in a state that people complained that the state schools were letting in too many out of state and international students and that even though local kids could get in state tuition they couldn't get into the school because so many spots were being taken up by non residents. So they were forced to go to other states pay out of state tuition, it kind of became silly that the reason for having a state school to somewhat serve as an education to your own residents became money makers. So because they were suppose to be State colleges they made some type of rule (not exactly sure on the details just generalities) that they had to have a certain percentage of in state kids.
                      so they could technically raise the same type of issue when it comes to scholarships, if it's a big enough group of people that speak up there are two very powerful motivators, money and votes. Don't know it this makes sense or not

Comment

Or any universities and how they run their soccer programs. USSF probably dislikes college soccer as much as they do high school.

Comment

I here what you're saying but sometimes it's not direct influence with one group or not... I lived in a state that people complained that the state schools were letting in too many out of state and international students and that even though local kids could get in state tuition they couldn't get into the school because so many spots were being taken up by non residents. So they were forced to go to other states pay out of state tuition, it kind of became silly that the reason for having a state school to somewhat serve as an education to your own residents became money makers. So because they were suppose to be State colleges they made some type of rule (not exactly sure on the details just generalities) that they had to have a certain percentage of in state kids.
                          so they could technically raise the same type of issue when it comes to scholarships, if it's a big enough group of people that speak up there are two very powerful motivators, money and votes. Don't know it this makes sense or not
                          None of that has anything to do with US Soccer. States have to legislate how state schools use dollars for international players. Private schools can so whatever they want. The only restrictions for international players is their ability to get student visas.

Comment

None of that has anything to do with US Soccer. States have to legislate how state schools use dollars for international players. Private schools can so whatever they want. The only restrictions for international players is their ability to get student visas.
                            I wish I had a better answer that would solve everything , but I don't. They might not be able to go anywhere with it. I think it was more of something that was thrown out as to "why can we take a group of kids at very young ages, go through our DA programs, and still take a bench spot next to an international player that wasn't pro caliper that is getting all the playing time?" I assume there were a lot of things talked about that after decades of trying why can't the US put together a competitive NT and have a pro league from home grown talent. Sometimes identifying a problem is the first step in finding a solution.

Comment

USSF is experimenting with “bio-banding” in DA where players are grouped by physical maturity rather than chronological age. By putting players with similar heights, weights, etc. together regardless of age they are hoping to better identify players by skill rather than size. Here’s a video on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odcP9Grw6h0

Comment

USSF is experimenting with “bio-banding” in DA where players are grouped by physical maturity rather than chronological age. By putting players with similar heights, weights, etc. together regardless of age they are hoping to better identify players by skill rather than size. Here’s a video on it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odcP9Grw6h0
                                They also let younger/smaller players play down. In other words they're dictating what everyone else has to do but doing their own thing.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X