Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxy Blowing up Affiliate Program

Coming out of socal - Galaxy completely eliminating their affiliate program.

Not sure as to the precise reasons for the Gals decision, but I think the Timbers were the first MLS club to affiliate youth clubs.

Has this been successful for the big 3 - Eastside, Washington and Westside?
    How about for those outside metro area - Bend, Eugene, Salem, Rogue Valley, Idaho and now one in Alaska?
    Will the affiliation continue here?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Coming out of socal - Galaxy completely eliminating their affiliate program.

Not sure as to the precise reasons for the Gals decision, but I think the Timbers were the first MLS club to affiliate youth clubs.

Has this been successful for the big 3 - Eastside, Washington and Westside?
    How about for those outside metro area - Bend, Eugene, Salem, Rogue Valley, Idaho and now one in Alaska?
    Will the affiliation continue here?
    Link here:

https://www.lagalaxy.com/academy/alliance

As I'm not in socal, I don't know what is going on down there, or the politics of this. I do know that the branding of LA Galaxy affiliate clubs was "tighter" than the Timbers Alliance--while Westside, WashT, and such have "Timbers" in the name, none of them have "Portland Timbers" in the name. It was a bit difficult, if you weren't familiar, to distinguish the actual LAG academy from some of its affiliate clubs, that also called themselves e.g. "LA Galaxy Santa Barbara".

Comment

Been amazing - they should continue doing exactly what they are doing.

Comment

Seems Fine

The Timbers Alliance seems fine.

Comment

The Timbers Alliance seems fine.
          Zero benefits to being Timbers alliance so if it imploded all you need to do is peel the sticker off the jerseys.

Comment

I don't think it matters

Zero benefits to being Timbers alliance so if it imploded all you need to do is peel the sticker off the jerseys.
            I don't think it really matters to the clubs one way or another. There seems to be pretty good cooperation among the big clubs alliance or not

Comment

LOL, while some of the old Galaxy affiliates are going with independent identities, some are going to "Liverpool USA", with significant price increases in uniforms.

When it comes to skinning american families, EPL clubs may be even better at it than MLS clubs.

Comment

LA Galaxy is done with club affiliations. The biggest one for them was South Bay Galaxy but a couple of years ago a few coaches from SB Galaxy jumped ship and took their teams with them. They started their own club (Steel United) and poached all the players from SB Galaxy. After that move SB Galaxy was left with a very weak boys program and not very good coaching.

Affiliate club teams were using ''Pre Academy'' on their name to attract more people but in reality the LA Galaxy academy usually scouts from the top teams in each age bracket and they might only pick up 1 player from their affiliate clubs.

Comment

Don't the Timbers provide training plans and gear? I don't know just asking. Seems like it would make sense to and be easy.

Comment

Don't the Timbers provide training plans and gear? I don't know just asking. Seems like it would make sense to and be easy.
                    They provide that for a nominal profit. Timbers don’t do anything that doesn’t make them money (or aren’t required to do as an mls franchise).

Comment

What you get

A very costly uniform package. A Timbers Alliance patch. A uniform that looks just like several other clubs.

That is it.

Comment

I highly doubt the Timbers care about the TA, the thorns or any of the other local branded timbers alliance programs. They probably get some commissions on the uniforms but I doubt it moves the needle for a company that sells $14 draft beers as fast as they can pour them.

Comment

It’s brilliant really. Oregon youth soccer PAYS the Timbers for free Timbers and Thorns marketing. That, or it shows the inept stupidity of OYSA and TA clubs. Or both...

Comment

It’s brilliant really. Oregon youth soccer PAYS the Timbers for free Timbers and Thorns marketing. That, or it shows the inept stupidity of OYSA and TA clubs. Or both...
                            Truth...and the parents LOVE the TIMBERS banner their children play under. Isn't that insane?

Fun fact, Timbers business model isn't to develop players. It's to use the youth club funds to buy "experienced pros" from central and S. America to employ. Best part...Timbers admitted this..do a little research and you'll find the article.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X