Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter was told she would be helped during the recruiting process if she “Committed early”. To all the idiots out there that are going to tell me she didn’t commit because she was not d1, my response is she committed to going to the school and playing for the coach and in return the coach committed to her she had a spot on the team and her support with admissions.. Agree no Athletic scholarship, but admission guarantee was the reward. She ended up with a 1380 sat score. She ended up not needing the help per the coach, but it allowed her to only apply to one college and allowed her to know where she was going to college real early in the process.
    if your kid is happy with her choice and as a family you got the help you needed to make it happen, who the F cares what anyone else thinks?

recruiting has nothing to do with team it has everything to do with a specific kid

im glad it worked out so well for your kid and your family

Comment

if your kid is happy with her choice and as a family you got the help you needed to make it happen, who the F cares what anyone else thinks?

recruiting has nothing to do with team it has everything to do with a specific kid

im glad it worked out so well for your kid and your family
      agree. find your own path. All these people pounding their chest all the time to send their ecnl kid of to a lower tier D1 school paying full freight to ride pine for 4 years. I don't get it. We have an ecnl Mom in our neighborhood who doesn't shut up... blabbering on and on about her daughter's team for years. Her kid's paying 100% tuition so she can sit on a crappy D1 bench. Kid on my daughter's high school team played at a club no one talks about here in CT and she's got max merit going to a top academic school in Midwest. It's 20 k cheaper for her to actually play and get a degree

lots of flavors out there

Jimmies

Comment

We would be very interested to hear insight as well. My dd is currently being recruited by a couple of NESCACS. She really loves the schools but I’m not sure we’ll be able to afford it since we won’t qualify for much aid but certainly can’t afford 50k plus a year out of pocket. Some loans might be worth it if the school seemed perfect and a good enough investment.
        The cost benefit analysis isnt worth it for you. You might be better off looking at a Gettysburg, Bucknell, or Loyola. Those schools offer merit $, athletic $, and will get your kid to the same place on graduation. No one is getting a job because they played soccer in college. (Except maybe at Enterprise Rent A Car where they like to hire former athletes...)

Comment

We attended a women’s soccer info session at Williams a year ago. The message was the SAT had to be at least 1400 and that most kids needed to be well over 1400. The average SAT at the school is 1480, so perhaps a recruited soccer player can be somewhat under 1480 was the takeaway. I think NESCAC schools use an AI, so that is likely a balancing factor.

Comment

The cost benefit analysis isnt worth it for you. You might be better off looking at a Gettysburg, Bucknell, or Loyola. Those schools offer merit $, athletic $, and will get your kid to the same place on graduation. No one is getting a job because they played soccer in college. (Except maybe at Enterprise Rent A Car where they like to hire former athletes...)
            I will add to this that consideration should be made for

- planned career path. Some won't be high paying so avoid a lot of debt if that's the case

- thoughts about grad school in the future. If it's in the cards then try to get your undergrad paper with as little debt as possible.

Comment

agree on Gettysburg if you get aid, but Bucknell is a different animal. You arent getting on the D1 roster and getting minutes and money unless you are a quality player.

Bucknell and gettysburg arent cheap compared to NESCAC. Both are 72-73K a year. If you dont get academic or athletic money and a good amount at that, you are better off at a NESCAC for your money

Comment

I don't believe the NESCAC ises an AI. My son was recruited by 3, and did have prereads, but there never was a mention of an AI.

Comment

We attended a women’s soccer info session at Williams a year ago. The message was the SAT had to be at least 1400 and that most kids needed to be well over 1400. The average SAT at the school is 1480, so perhaps a recruited soccer player can be somewhat under 1480 was the takeaway. I think NESCAC schools use an AI, so that is likely a balancing factor.
                  They dont use an AI like the Ivies. Most dont even require SATs. NESCAC schools work by bands. In general, they are as I list below. Obviously the lower your band, the less probability of admittance because there are only so many admitted in each band across all sports at the college each year and the lower the band, the smaller the probability and the better your kid better be at soccer. If you understand where your player slots in, it helps to understand the leverage you have and if you will need the coaches assistance. The bands are not universal, A Colby A Band could be an Amherst B Band. Great schools and a great athletic league....good luck to your player

A Band:
                  SAT Scores 700+ average all above 680
                  SAT II 720
                  GPA: Mostly As/Top 5%
                  B Band:
                  SAT scores 650+ average, all above 610
                  SAT II 640
                  GPA: Mix of A/B/Top 15%
                  C Band:
                  SAT scores 630+ average, all above 580
                  SAT II 600
                  GPA: B Record/Top 20%
                  D Band:
                  SAT scores below 1800-1880 (depending on school) all greater than 530
                  SAT II < 560
                  GPA: Below a B average/Top 25-35%

Comment

agree on Gettysburg if you get aid, but Bucknell is a different animal. You arent getting on the D1 roster and getting minutes and money unless you are a quality player.

Bucknell and gettysburg arent cheap compared to NESCAC. Both are 72-73K a year. If you dont get academic or athletic money and a good amount at that, you are better off at a NESCAC for your money
                    Gettysburg is D3, hence no athletic $$.

Comment

Gettysburg is D3, hence no athletic $$.
                      D not at Gettysburg but you don't know what your are talking about, the find money for athletes they just call it something different. I speak from experience.

Comment

D not at Gettysburg but you don't know what your are talking about, the find money for athletes they just call it something different. I speak from experience.
                        Not sure why the attitude? Simply stating a fact, as you and another were talking about Gettysburg and athletic $$. They don’t give it. I also have experience with the process and am very aware that $$ can be had, just don’t call it athletic $$, the discussion was about two other D1 schools (Bucknell and Loyola) and then Gettysburg. Comment was made about combining athletic and merit at the 3. Don’t be a dîck, it’s not necessary.

Comment

Not sure why the attitude? Simply stating a fact, as you and another were talking about Gettysburg and athletic $$. They don’t give it. I also have experience with the process and am very aware that $$ can be had, just don’t call it athletic $$, the discussion was about two other D1 schools (Bucknell and Loyola) and then Gettysburg. Comment was made about combining athletic and merit at the 3. Don’t be a dîck, it’s not necessary.
                          What is Pelosi's excuse?

Comment

Yes some D3 schools will, but some won't and merit money is based solely on academic merit. Schools are still monitored by the NCAA and can't be granting large "merit" packages on a regular basis

Comment

I agree, I just think it's easier to get ***some*** money from Gburg or Bucknell. Loyola def offers merit money. That NESCAC price tag plus no $ aid makes them a rich man's choice but not for most others.

Comment

I agree, I just think it's easier to get ***some*** money from Gburg or Bucknell. Loyola def offers merit money. That NESCAC price tag plus no $ aid makes them a rich man's choice but not for most others.
                                If you can get a scholarship, Bucknell first. Gettysburg isnt in the same class. 45% of the applicants get in. Tells you all you need to know.

Rather than spending even 30K a year on Gettysburg, I would rather seed my the 120K dollars I would spend on 4 years and tell her to round up a bunch of hispanics and start a housekeeping business in Westport. With some high school spanish and a night class at Norwalk Community College, she would get a better ROI

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X