Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Coach Answers All

I've been asked to help answer questions earnestly and honestly regarding the Florida club landscape and any questions that players and parents may have. I will do my best to answer them frankly and honestly but stay anonymous not to upset any particular clubs or coaches that I may comment on. Please feel free to post any questions that you may have. Please use this forum to ask legitimate questions to be answered honestly. Hopefully this will be helpful. You can elect to not believe that I'm a legitimate college coach if you want to, but I believe that my forthright answers will reveal that I am. Let's try to improve this site and make it a benefit rather than a soap opera.

Hope this works out.
    Great idea.

Comment

What's the graduation rate among your soccer kids? How many soccer kids that came in as freshman graduate and aged four seasons.

Comment

Are the girls that do not play ECNL out of luck when it comes to getting a scholarship to a decent school?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Hope this works out.
          Great idea.
          Thank you, I will answer all questions honestly. Please don't use this thread as a soap opera or to put down other clubs or staff. I will not respond to ignorant or ridiculous questions. For those of you who want honest answers please feel free to ask away.

Comment

What's the graduation rate among your soccer kids? How many soccer kids that came in as freshman graduate and aged four seasons.
            I don't want to be too specific regarding our program but the truth is that if a school keeps 4-5 players all the way through that pretty good. The dropout rate is alarmingly high among most schools.

Comment

I've been asked to help answer questions earnestly and honestly regarding the Florida club landscape and any questions that players and parents may have. I will do my best to answer them frankly and honestly but stay anonymous not to upset any particular clubs or coaches that I may comment on. Please feel free to post any questions that you may have. Please use this forum to ask legitimate questions to be answered honestly. Hopefully this will be helpful. You can elect to not believe that I'm a legitimate college coach if you want to, but I believe that my forthright answers will reveal that I am. Let's try to improve this site and make it a benefit rather than a soap opera.
              Are you a head coach or assistant coach of a men's or women's college Division I, Division II, Division III, NAIA of NJCAA team and are you to able to answer questions about boy's and girl's youth soccer leagues, programs and clubs in all areas of Florida?

Comment

Are the girls that do not play ECNL out of luck when it comes to getting a scholarship to a decent school?
                ECNL is an excellent league but scholarships are definitely not limited to ECNL players. There are several excellent clubs and players from those clubs who do not play ECNL and are recruited at all levels. In fact, my particular view of ECNL is that it has expanded way too quickly and has become a much lower level league than it was just a couple years ago. With that said, the ECNL league as a whole is a very organized league with most teams, but not all, at a very high level.

Comment

Are you a head coach or assistant coach of a men's or women's college Division I, Division II, Division III, NAIA of NJCAA team and are you to able to answer questions about boy's and girl's youth soccer leagues, programs and clubs in all areas of Florida?
                  I am a head Division 1 Women's coach, but I will not get more specific than that to not encourage anyone to try to figure out who I am. I want to answer honestly as you will see that I do, without getting any club or coach mad which in my position I'm sure that you can understand wouldn't be beneficial to my position. I have limited time to reply to your questions so please understand that I will try to check in on these posts thought the day when I can.

Comment

What would your advice be to a rising junior who has her heart set on a particular school? She has contacted the coaches and been to their summer ID camp and is going again this summer. There does seem to be interest on their part (they have kept in contact with her since last summer) but hard to tell yet as she is still a sophomore. How aggressive should she be in trying to secure a spot on their team?

Comment

Will you take my daughter? Please please please please.......

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

You may proceed and ignore my childishness.

Comment

That's difficult to answer without knowing the school. But I'm assuming it's a D3 school since you stated they have been in contact with her and at her age D2 and D1 couldn't do that other than communicating camp information. If she is at a club where they have a club DOC or coach that can be an advocate for her that's the best way to know how much the coach is really interested in her. The club Director of Coaching may have a good relationship with the school already so he/she can get a true reading on their interest. If you don't have a coach or club director who helps players with their recruitment then your daughter should be as aggressive as she can without being a nuisance. Keep in mind that if it is a D3 school they may have some stringent academic requirements so they may wait to make sure that she meets those requirements before they spend too much time evaluating her. My suggestion would be to not put all her eggs in one basket though. She should be looking at other schools as well, in case that coach is not interested. If she has already been to their ID camp that particular coach would surely let her know if they were interested in her.

Comment

That's difficult to answer without knowing the school. But I'm assuming it's a D3 school since you stated they have been in contact with her and at her age D2 and D1 couldn't do that other than communicating camp information. If she is at a club where they have a club DOC or coach that can be an advocate for her that's the best way to know how much the coach is really interested in her. The club Director of Coaching may have a good relationship with the school already so he/she can get a true reading on their interest. If you don't have a coach or club director who helps players with their recruitment then your daughter should be as aggressive as she can without being a nuisance. Keep in mind that if it is a D3 school they may have some stringent academic requirements so they may wait to make sure that she meets those requirements before they spend too much time evaluating her. My suggestion would be to not put all her eggs in one basket though. She should be looking at other schools as well, in case that coach is not interested. If she has already been to their ID camp that particular coach would surely let her know if they were interested in her.
                          Sorry that was meant to be an answer to the rising junior question. I'm still learning how these threads work

Comment

It is DII, they have not talked to her about recruiting at all at this point, which I understand that they can't yet. They just keep in general contact to see if she is still playing and how she is doing and what leagues and tournaments she is in, that sort of thing. They also asked her to come back this summer. Unfortunately, our club is in flux right now and will be having a new DOC so can't get any help there until they start up again next season.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

It is DII, they have not talked to her about recruiting at all at this point, which I understand that they can't yet. They just keep in general contact to see if she is still playing and how she is doing and what leagues and tournaments she is in, that sort of thing. They also asked her to come back this summer. Unfortunately, our club is in flux right now and will be having a new DOC so can't get any help there until they start up again next season.

Thank you for your reply.
                              Ok but I'm not sure what you mean by staying in general contact. They should not be contacting her at all at her age. If you don't have a club DOC who acts as an advocate then I would simply contact the coach yourself by telephone, keep calling untill they answer, and explain to them that you do not have a club director at this point in time but their school is your daughter's first choice but since she was at their ID camp you would like an honest assessment whether they are really interested in her or should she look to other programs. If they really want your daughter you will know it, if they beat around the bush the chances are they are not really interested. Or if the school is close enough go into the coaches office and have that conversation directly.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X