Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP - do they ever cut anyone?

Does ODP ever cut players if a new player comes along who is better? Or do they just go with the players who have been going to Alabama for years?

Curious about whether it is worth it for my daughter to try it next year or are rosters set no matter who is better?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does ODP ever cut players if a new player comes along who is better? Or do they just go with the players who have been going to Alabama for years?

Curious about whether it is worth it for my daughter to try it next year or are rosters set no matter who is better?
    sometimes you might think that is hte case, especially when you see groups of kids from the same clubs at the tryouts, and then make the initial cuts, and you know there were others that were better. It would be nice if they actually insisted on generic clothing for tryouts, and not allow club jerseys etc. but they do. you want to see the talent, not the influence of the club behind it. for us, at finals cuts for state pool, we saw several girls on the bubble who apparently were there the year before, not make the last cut. lots of tears. but i can tell you that being cut was what needed to happen. we expected that because it was my kids first year trying out, that would be the same for her, but she made the cut and ended up on the state team, and sent to alabama. that same year a younger kid of ours went through it to, and did not make it through the initial cuts. we saw no one we knew go through; seemed very strange to us and what i said earlier about teams getting through, seemed to more the situation for younger ages. you were not seeing individules, but large groups from teh same clubs. We still went through it the next year where she was stopped by a coach that knew her. They were calling the girls out by number until he called her out by name. asked her to come forward... she did and he told her to go to the back of the group and stand there. She was eventually dismissed as the entire back side of teh group did not go through. Why was she essentially put on display? Not just Because he could do it, which they basically can do whatever they want, but he knew her. It was personal. A few months before her older brother was cut from the boys varsity soccer team... from a 15 boy roster... he had no clue why, and we told him it was a good time to start asking questions. He asked to speak with the coach after school and had a conversation with him. Obviously there was room on the roster, what was going on? Coach told him he needed to keep any room open on the roster for other kids that "needed" the opportunity to be seen (yes, this is one of those coaches that believes high school soccer is the be all to end all for recruiting). He was told because he was academically gifted he would not need a soccer scholarship like other kids. That getting a soccer scholarship might be the only way some boys could go on to college. My kid told him if half those kids gave a crap about their grades they would not have to count on sports to get them in college. And more importantly, it was wrong of the coach to pick and chose kids based on their race... yes, he said it. It did not end in my kids favor, other than he was glad he spoke with the coach. Back to my girl standing in front of this same coach at ODP tryouts: he did what he could to her, tried to embarass her, and then had the say in wehther she moved on; she was a victim of a terrible coach. Is it a fair process? I would have said yes, one year, and the following year, no. I think we exposed a problem with our tryouts in the central florida area. Does it mean the system has problems, probably many. I can only hope that this obviously very biased coach is not in the system still. He was fired at the end of the school year, not just from coaching, but as a teacher. He is still coaching at a local club, I would not want to even know he is still in the ODP system. He is what is wrong with coaching. Good luck to you and your kid. If she is a jr. age, i'd give it a go. It did help my first girl through the system and eventually to a DI school. Kid has really got to be good and stand out.

Comment

That is a great question. It does seem like the rosters stay the same year after year. We know that some kids improve and others do not. I would hate to think that it is so political when they want a good team. Is it always this way?

Comment

Run from ODP. Trust me.

Comment

sometimes you might think that is hte case, especially when you see groups of kids from the same clubs at the tryouts, and then make the initial cuts, and you know there were others that were better. It would be nice if they actually insisted on generic clothing for tryouts, and not allow club jerseys etc. but they do. you want to see the talent, not the influence of the club behind it. for us, at finals cuts for state pool, we saw several girls on the bubble who apparently were there the year before, not make the last cut. lots of tears. but i can tell you that being cut was what needed to happen. we expected that because it was my kids first year trying out, that would be the same for her, but she made the cut and ended up on the state team, and sent to alabama. that same year a younger kid of ours went through it to, and did not make it through the initial cuts. we saw no one we knew go through; seemed very strange to us and what i said earlier about teams getting through, seemed to more the situation for younger ages. you were not seeing individules, but large groups from teh same clubs. We still went through it the next year where she was stopped by a coach that knew her. They were calling the girls out by number until he called her out by name. asked her to come forward... she did and he told her to go to the back of the group and stand there. She was eventually dismissed as the entire back side of teh group did not go through. Why was she essentially put on display? Not just Because he could do it, which they basically can do whatever they want, but he knew her. It was personal. A few months before her older brother was cut from the boys varsity soccer team... from a 15 boy roster... he had no clue why, and we told him it was a good time to start asking questions. He asked to speak with the coach after school and had a conversation with him. Obviously there was room on the roster, what was going on? Coach told him he needed to keep any room open on the roster for other kids that "needed" the opportunity to be seen (yes, this is one of those coaches that believes high school soccer is the be all to end all for recruiting). He was told because he was academically gifted he would not need a soccer scholarship like other kids. That getting a soccer scholarship might be the only way some boys could go on to college. My kid told him if half those kids gave a crap about their grades they would not have to count on sports to get them in college. And more importantly, it was wrong of the coach to pick and chose kids based on their race... yes, he said it. It did not end in my kids favor, other than he was glad he spoke with the coach. Back to my girl standing in front of this same coach at ODP tryouts: he did what he could to her, tried to embarass her, and then had the say in wehther she moved on; she was a victim of a terrible coach. Is it a fair process? I would have said yes, one year, and the following year, no. I think we exposed a problem with our tryouts in the central florida area. Does it mean the system has problems, probably many. I can only hope that this obviously very biased coach is not in the system still. He was fired at the end of the school year, not just from coaching, but as a teacher. He is still coaching at a local club, I would not want to even know he is still in the ODP system. He is what is wrong with coaching. Good luck to you and your kid. If she is a jr. age, i'd give it a go. It did help my first girl through the system and eventually to a DI school. Kid has really got to be good and stand out.
          Typical. The biggest problem in youth soccer is parents like you. Your kids are not only better soccer players, but smarter too. It's just the coaches who have it in for them. Your "academically gifted" son didn't make the high school team? I have news for you, he sucks. Your kids need to learn some lessons about taking responsibility, it's not always someone else's fault. Believe me, the kids who can play are not being cast aside by cruel and vindictive coaches. That is unless the coach just can't handle one more conversation with the parent.

Comment

Typical. The biggest problem in youth soccer is parents like you. Your kids are not only better soccer players, but smarter too. It's just the coaches who have it in for them. Your "academically gifted" son didn't make the high school team? I have news for you, he sucks. Your kids need to learn some lessons about taking responsibility, it's not always someone else's fault. Believe me, the kids who can play are not being cast aside by cruel and vindictive coaches. That is unless the coach just can't handle one more conversation with the parent.
            This is however a thread about ODP. It seems like rosters remain the same year after year. Do the coach's form a bond with some of the players and even though they may no longer be the best do they keep them on the team? Does any new players have a chance if they are indeed better players?

Comment

This is however a thread about ODP. It seems like rosters remain the same year after year. Do the coach's form a bond with some of the players and even though they may no longer be the best do they keep them on the team? Does any new players have a chance if they are indeed better players?
              If you want to get into ODP you need to start young. Once a player is selected he/she will rarely get cut because in so doing a coach would be admitting he made a mistake or more importantly, couldn't properly develop a formerly great player.

Comment

For the boys - ODP is a joke especially when DA is going to be at under 12 next year. This program is pretty much dead and a waste of time

Comment

Run from ODP. Trust me.
                  Says the parent whose Mia got cut during the initial tryout weekend.....

Comment

Yes, whether it's because players get cut or drop out, there are definitely new kids picked up every year. That is until the older ages when they're only taking one or two teams instead of three, then it gets tougher to break in. My kid was selected first year, cut the next, worked his ass off and made Region Team the third year. That cut was definitely a wake-up call, he knew he wanted to be on that team and it hurt. The one thing that I see getting called out on the field at every training is poor work rate. If kids are slacking off, not hustling back, not going 100% on 50-50's, the coaches will call them on it and I've seen those kids cut.

Comment

I've seen your daughter play and she would definitely get cut.

Comment

Your post is very difficult to read. I'm not the grammar police by any means but try using caps, sentences, and paragraphs.

Comment

I think it is like a previous poster posted. They will most likely go with most of the players from the previous year. There definitely seem to be a bond with the coach and previous players. You could see on occasions where the coach would give those players extra coaching during the selection process, and you could see those same players probably you are not the best selection. Either way I believe the pool process has a valuable experience and some good training. So for that reason even if my child does not make Alabama I would return the following year.

Comment

Thanks. The usual trash back was not unexpected. Sorry but having an ESE student is a little different to be sure... especially when that exception is being academically gifted - there are few resources in the public schools... but one thing it shouldn't be used for is by teachers (who also coach) to use as a barometer to pick and chose kids for sports. Never said the man was cruel and vindictive... he was a racist and biased against my kid who never studied for anything and just was able to do all the things he wanted to do in school... without spending his time studying. The year prior this same kid was second leading goal scorer on that team, he also played DI w/local club. Was he greatest, no, but he easily held his own. We have many kids so knowing the difference in many facets of "abilities" athletically and academically is not too challenging for us mortal parents. Also, did you skip over the part about how this coach was fired following this? Point being in the end we've had one very good experience with ODP, and one not good at all. Try to know who the coaches are that you are going to be in front of. I would not pass up the opportunity to get into this program if you can.

Comment

My son went through the program a few years ago and enjoyed Alabama. Great opportunity to forge friendships with kids across the state; many of which have been maintained. Question though:

Why do they announce cuts in the larger group? Why send a bunch of 12 year olds crying to the parking lot? Send an email that night and let the kids be at home where they have a little privacy.

I don't consider this part of the wussification of America, which I agree is happening, just common sense. I don't think any kid 'learns a lesson' by breaking down in front of their peers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X