Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not to be an ahole but I don't think he was the first DOC to send players to ID2, there were two players from the current U18 OSSA team that went the spring of their U12 year.
    I mean no disrespect, but I am not sure how that is even possible. ID2 has only been around for 4 years and my child attended ID2 the first year it was formed. Also, ID2 does not have a camp for "U12" They go by birth year, and the youngest age a girl can attend is 13. It is also on there website. I could be wrong, but personal experience tells me otherwise.

Comment

You are incorrect, the program has been around for longer than four years. Call US Club Soccer if you don't believe me. It might have been their U13 year and not U12, memory is failing me these days :)

Comment

per USClub Web page: "Established in 2004, US Club Soccer’s id2 National Identification and Development Program (the “id2 Program”) provides an opportunity for the country's elite youth soccer players to be identified and developed, while also being scouted for inclusion in U.S. Soccer’s National Team programs."

Linky Poo: http://www.usclubsoccer.org/Files/OV...%20Program.pdf

Comment

Yet a total of 8 DOC's from the largest clubs in OR all thought it was absolutely necessary and critical for the future of Oregon soccer and they still do, so how so?? Not everyone likes the OPL, yet it is far better than the alternative and absolutely nothing negative has come from it. Look how many clubs are now in the OPL and more join every season. Hmm??
          It was and is about control and not the betterment of OR soccer. You believe last year and this year have been better for the development of high end soccer in OR. I disagree.

Comment

Yet a total of 8 DOC's from the largest clubs in OR all thought it was absolutely necessary and critical for the future of Oregon soccer and they still do, so how so?? Not everyone likes the OPL, yet it is far better than the alternative and absolutely nothing negative has come from it. Look how many clubs are now in the OPL and more join every season. Hmm??
            Wow, interesting remanufacturing of the facts...I might edit your comment to say "8 DOCS from the largest clubs in Oregon thought it (OPL) was absolutely necessary and critical for the future of their clubs and they still do. The good that has come out of OPL is the lining of the pockets of these 8 clubs. Several seem to still struggle, but as far as good for the state...no not really. I don't think you would have to look far to find detractors both on the inside and outside of OPL. More teams joining OPL recently shouldn't be seen as an endorsement of OPL's actions, rather it is a result of teams on both sides of the split wanting to play in a real state league. The move isn't to OPL it is everyone gritting their teeth and saying let's force this thing back together.

If you want a sense of the vulnerability of OPL imagine any of the wizened 8 deciding it is time to retire, or losing interest. As quick as it went together it would fall apart, and then we would have a true mess.
            "Nothing negative has come from it?"
            You better go back and check the kool-aid stand

Comment

per USClub Web page: "Established in 2004, US Club Soccer’s id2 National Identification and Development Program (the “id2 Program”) provides an opportunity for the country's elite youth soccer players to be identified and developed, while also being scouted for inclusion in U.S. Soccer’s National Team programs."

Linky Poo: http://www.usclubsoccer.org/Files/OV...%20Program.pdf
              Thank you for the link! I know I stand corrected. Regardless, it is great to see more and more Oregon players being selected to attend this program every year. I kow both Frasier and Tom have both been very supportive of the ID2 program, as they realize the value and opportunity that it creates for Oregon soccer players.

Comment

Isn't this post about how to move forward? I don't care to revet the whole OPL-OYSA argument. Moving forward Oregon Soccer should be under one roof. I think we have seen plenty of evidence recently about why there should be a level of professional administrators that is over the coaches. Doing this then allows the coaches to focus on competitive issues and teams, without having to run the shop.

Comment

Wow, interesting remanufacturing of the facts...I might edit your comment to say "8 DOCS from the largest clubs in Oregon thought it (OPL) was absolutely necessary and critical for the future of their clubs and they still do. The good that has come out of OPL is the lining of the pockets of these 8 clubs. Several seem to still struggle, but as far as good for the state...no not really. I don't think you would have to look far to find detractors both on the inside and outside of OPL. More teams joining OPL recently shouldn't be seen as an endorsement of OPL's actions, rather it is a result of teams on both sides of the split wanting to play in a real state league. The move isn't to OPL it is everyone gritting their teeth and saying let's force this thing back together.

If you want a sense of the vulnerability of OPL imagine any of the wizened 8 deciding it is time to retire, or losing interest. As quick as it went together it would fall apart, and then we would have a true mess.

You better go back and check the kool-aid stand
                  And just exactly what is your stake in this? I have clearly stated mine. No Kool-Aid drinkin goin on here! I will only speak for myself, when I say the last 2 years of OPL have been by far the most enjoyable and rewarding years my children have had in Oregon. Better competition, better schedule, more lenient rules regarding rosters, better championship series, more at stake as far as acceptance into larger tournaments, NWCL, etc, etc. Again, as I stated earlier, I know not everyone has had the same expereince, but I am pretty confident that the large majority have. I encourage all to lend their 2 cents here, but your only allowed to post once :>)

Comment

Isn't this post about how to move forward? I don't care to revet the whole OPL-OYSA argument. Moving forward Oregon Soccer should be under one roof. I think we have seen plenty of evidence recently about why there should be a level of professional administrators that is over the coaches. Doing this then allows the coaches to focus on competitive issues and teams, without having to run the shop.
                    Unfortunately, you would have to revisit the OPL-OYSA argument. That is the big picture issue and the reason the 8 DOC's got together. OYSA had no vision and they were sending Oregon Soccer back into the stone ages. The professional administrators were not listening to the DOC's and were making decisions based on finances and not the betterment of the game. OPL was exactly what you speak of - "a move forward." Now onto the next step, ECNL.

Comment

Unfortunately, you would have to revisit the OPL-OYSA argument. That is the big picture issue and the reason the 8 DOC's got together. OYSA had no vision and they were sending Oregon Soccer back into the stone ages. The professional administrators were not listening to the DOC's and were making decisions based on finances and not the betterment of the game. OPL was exactly what you speak of - "a move forward." Now onto the next step, ECNL.
                      I suspect it was a different kind of vision. It was a vision that seems to be focused on safety, well-run clubs, child-protection, and other administrative issues. The DOC's vision seems to be focused on how to create a super club, and how to be the most competitive, and how to branch to other levels of competition. Both had vision, but directed in different places. It appears where the rub happened was the egos of the 8 DOC's couldn't stand being told what to do. The betterment of the game the admins focused on was making sure soccer spreads the state and everyone gets an avenue to play. The betterment of the game the coaches were focused on was consolidating clubs, and drawing all talent to the Portland area at the cost of the rest of the state.

Since ECNL applies to one sex, and more than likely one club, it doesn't even belong in this conversation.

Comment

And just exactly what is your stake in this? I have clearly stated mine. No Kool-Aid drinkin goin on here! I will only speak for myself, when I say the last 2 years of OPL have been by far the most enjoyable and rewarding years my children have had in Oregon. Better competition, better schedule, more lenient rules regarding rosters, better championship series, more at stake as far as acceptance into larger tournaments, NWCL, etc, etc. Again, as I stated earlier, I know not everyone has had the same expereince, but I am pretty confident that the large majority have. I encourage all to lend their 2 cents here, but your only allowed to post once :>)
                        So you should be done posting right? Or is this a sterling example of the OPL leadership where the rules need only apply if OPL sees fit.

You ask what is my stake in this...I have two kids who play soccer. They have multiple state championships, they have travelled regionally, they know what it means to play at the highest level. My concern is over the years i have seen folks from different clubs become increasingly nasty. Whether the split was a cause of this, or an outcome of this is hard to tell. The thing that is obvious however is it is not good for soccer as a whole. The level of competition has gone down since the split happened primarily, I think because of the recruitment between the top 8 clubs. As we talk about consolidation, it would only grow worse.

That is my stake, I will take my lashes for posting more than once, and as you will insist on being a fair administrator of the rules, I should hear no more form you.

Comment

So you should be done posting right? Or is this a sterling example of the OPL leadership where the rules need only apply if OPL sees fit.

You ask what is my stake in this...I have two kids who play soccer. They have multiple state championships, they have travelled regionally, they know what it means to play at the highest level. My concern is over the years i have seen folks from different clubs become increasingly nasty. Whether the split was a cause of this, or an outcome of this is hard to tell. The thing that is obvious however is it is not good for soccer as a whole. The level of competition has gone down since the split happened primarily, I think because of the recruitment between the top 8 clubs. As we talk about consolidation, it would only grow worse.

That is my stake, I will take my lashes for posting more than once, and as you will insist on being a fair administrator of the rules, I should hear no more form you.
                          No lashes coming from me. Not here to hate, just sincerely interested in knowing what others think about the issue. I know folks in the Valley and Central/Southern Oregon have had different experiences than those in PDX. As for the singular post remark, sorry, I have no connection to the OPL leadership, so this is only an example of a parent who's children have had a very positive experience with OPL. As for your stake, I was just trying to guage why you have such animosity towards OPL. You have given no clear examples. Is it geography? Why? I have given examples of why I think it is positive and I also stated that those were my experiences.

Comment

I am sorry, I can't leave this one alone. The OYSA / OPL split has got to be one of the worst moves in youth soccer. Better competition? Are we talking self proclaimed? As a member of the OPL we gave up our right to win the real state cup and go on to the real nationals. Personally, I think that sucks. I have zero problem traveling to Bend which by the way under OYSA we only did once a season and once to Eugene. Now we are traveling up to Seattle for the NWCL and I am not feeling the great competition. It is simply travel and before this year it was no real chance of winning anything except for a berth in Surf cup which we could get without it.

My restructuring of youth soccer in Oregon would have elite avenues for both boys and girls and would all be under one roof.

Comment

I am sorry, I can't leave this one alone. The OYSA / OPL split has got to be one of the worst moves in youth soccer. Better competition? Are we talking self proclaimed? As a member of the OPL we gave up our right to win the real state cup and go on to the real nationals. Personally, I think that sucks. I have zero problem traveling to Bend which by the way under OYSA we only did once a season and once to Eugene. Now we are traveling up to Seattle for the NWCL and I am not feeling the great competition. It is simply travel and before this year it was no real chance of winning anything except for a berth in Surf cup which we could get without it.

My restructuring of youth soccer in Oregon would have elite avenues for both boys and girls and would all be under one roof.
                              I am assuming you have an older boy or U18G because all the teams U11-14 faced hard competition and the girls this year U15-U17 have as well. Now if you have an older boy and you go to Regionals or Nationals you're still not facing the best competition. The best boys teams are in the DA. If you have an older girl the best teams for the most part are ECNL.

The OPL teams can compete OYSA this year so it looks like they got everything they wanted. Can't see any loss to it now.

I highly doubt you could get into Surf Cup every year and have just chosen not to. Seems like your post is filled with lies.

Comment

I am assuming you have an older boy or U18G because all the teams U11-14 faced hard competition and the girls this year U15-U17 have as well. Now if you have an older boy and you go to Regionals or Nationals you're still not facing the best competition. The best boys teams are in the DA. If you have an older girl the best teams for the most part are ECNL.

The OPL teams can compete OYSA this year so it looks like they got everything they wanted. Can't see any loss to it now.

I highly doubt you could get into Surf Cup every year and have just chosen not to. Seems like your post is filled with lies.
                                U16 G and we do Surf cup every year... should have said "which we can get into anyway". Oh, and ECNL goes back to an OYSA model... you must be a dumbass

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X