Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Contemplating a move this summer where I send my u12 down to Brazil to play unstructured, pickup soccer on the beaches and in the streets of Rio for three months.

Any thoughts on exposing them to that environment? Rather than three months of drills, drills, drills with silly coaches in the U.S. that strangle the fun out of the game, perhaps it is better to just give them exposure to the joy of the game in a real futbol country, with real players.

We put our toes in the water with this model when we went to Spain to see El Clasico for a few days and my son played in the parks in Madrid all day with other kids. Happiest I've ever seen him- and he learned a lot.
    Thanks so much for sharing this strategy that you could have selfishly kept to yourself. I'm going to send my 11 year old to Brazil now. Living in a favela for the summer will be icing on the cake. Elitist tourism to poor countries with hungry kids is so underappreciated. Will help with your application to Wheaton, though.

Comment

Thanks so much for sharing this strategy that you could have selfishly kept to yourself. I'm going to send my 11 year old to Brazil now. Living in a favela for the summer will be icing on the cake. Elitist tourism to poor countries with hungry kids is so underappreciated. Will help with your application to Wheaton, though.
      Will you bring me back some blow, please?
      Thanks!

Comment

The OP is correct. Kids are happiest when there are no adults or coaches barking at them...i see it during breaks at ODP or club soccer. the 5 minutes or so they get to just play, just be kids seems so natural...

Why don't we do more of that? Why not tell them at club practice that it is all theirs to do what they wish - 1 hr of free play. You know how much fun they would have?
        One of my kid's favorite days of practice was when the coach had an emergency and canceled practice last minute. The team (U11) took it upon themselves to run their own session and basically set up some warm up drills and then ran scrimmages with zero adult input. We all just stayed out of the way and remarked that it was nice to see the kids do it themselves and not worry about "proving their worth" to the coach.

Comment

One of my kid's favorite days of practice was when the coach had an emergency and canceled practice last minute. The team (U11) took it upon themselves to run their own session and basically set up some warm up drills and then ran scrimmages with zero adult input. We all just stayed out of the way and remarked that it was nice to see the kids do it themselves and not worry about "proving their worth" to the coach.
          Unfortunately most parents wouldn't put up with long term free play. they feel like they're spending good money for their kid to "learn" something. To a certain extent they are justified in feeling that way. But to them learning is demonstrated by coaches barking out orders and drills.

Free play in general is an issue in this country, not just as it relates to soccer. Parents are paranoid Jimmy will be kidnapped from the park so won't let him walk down there on his own. Jimmy often doesn't have time to play anyway because his life is so scheduled. It's to the point Jimmy wouldn't know what to do with his free time even when he has it, so he turns to electronics.

Comment

Free play in general is an issue in this country, not just as it relates to soccer. Parents are paranoid Jimmy will be kidnapped from the park so won't let him walk down there on his own. Jimmy often doesn't have time to play anyway because his life is so scheduled. It's to the point Jimmy wouldn't know what to do with his free time even when he has it, so he turns to electronics.
            This is why when my kid is banging a soccer ball off the front door or around the house I don't mind. At least it is time she isn't looking at slime videos on an ipad.

Comment

This is why when my kid is banging a soccer ball off the front door or around the house I don't mind. At least it is time she isn't looking at slime videos on an ipad.
              It truly is an addiction and an increasing issue, especially among teens.

Comment

Has to be better for his development than hanging out with the freak-show parents and their kids in U.S. Club Soccer camps.

I would imagine spending time with other Brazilian kids in the streets of Rio (assuming you know people and its safe) would do worlds for his soccer and personal development.

Or he could just stay in the U.S. and whine and complain like every other rich, white club soccer kid who is beyond spoiled.

Wow this got racist real fast.

Comment

Ah, yes. The ignorant American fool who has never set foot in Brazil makes sweeping judgment about a country. Yes, there is crime. But if you have extended family in Brazil and speak Portuguese - you should be fine.

God forbid your precious iPhone gets stolen - how will you waste your life away reading countless sports articles and not focusing on developing yourself? You can't spend hours on your iPhone wasting away only to realize you have no ability to think in linear fashion? If you don't have an iPhone, you might actually have to think about the real world
                  Aaah, extended family and speak the language.

Start with that as a caveat. You just eliminated 90% of the population.

Comment

What's most sad is it sounds like unless there's a practice, some kids don't touch a ball.

Nobody stopping anyone from "free play" every afternoon they don't have club practice. No reason to go on a sewage-sipping tour of Brazil unless you want to.

Comment

I was in Spain last year and noticed how every kid (and many adults) in the parks had soccer balls with them. It was like taking football, frisbee, baseball and any other park activity and converting all of them to soccer.

Moms would be kicking it around with kids, even young adults would be juggling casually. A lot of unstructured mini games with kids.

I never see that in the U.S. it's always a structured practice...

Comment

On the topic of structured practice vs free play, it is fair to blame one of the great characteristics of the U.S. (capitalism) on sucking the fun out of youth soccer.

Vicious cycle = parents want kid on "elite" team no matter the cost + demand elite coaching for their substantial investment --> results in more practices, games, tournaments to make parents feel like they are getting a 'return' on their investments = overscheduled, overcoached kids who get burned out and lose the joy for the game

Why isn't USSF focused on putting the fun back into the game - that is key

Comment

I was in Spain last year and noticed how every kid (and many adults) in the parks had soccer balls with them. It was like taking football, frisbee, baseball and any other park activity and converting all of them to soccer.

Moms would be kicking it around with kids, even young adults would be juggling casually. A lot of unstructured mini games with kids.

I never see that in the U.S. it's always a structured practice...
                          It's there...slowly. My parents didn't play the game, so they weren't kicking a ball around. I did, and there's always a ball in my trunk. My kid never goes anywhere without it.

We are still a generation or two away from catching up.

We always have to be aware it's pretty difficult to always have a ball at your feet in a New England winter. Last, there are many other sports tying up kid's time here.

Comment

Vicious cycle = parents want kid on "elite" team no matter the cost + demand elite coaching for their substantial investment --> results in more practices, games, tournaments to make parents feel like they are getting a 'return' on their investments = overscheduled, overcoached kids who get burned out and lose the joy for the game
                            I think kids also get tired of the constant adult evaluations that are a part of soccer or just sports in general. It is one thing that there are yearly tryouts (which honestly I believe that under 12 or 13 years old teams should try to make 2 year commitments to players but whatever) but then during the year it is the constant pressure from adults that sucks the joy out of playing. I've seen it with my 10 year old who loves to play but I can tell every time the club decides to go to a tournament and have to decide who goes, who is on team 1 or team 2, its like a black cloud. Doesn't matter that so far she's done very well and hasn't had any reason to worry. The near constant thought of whether the coach (who is basically a 25 year old 2 years out of college) is happy with the kids just strikes me as so unhealthy but i guess it is what it is for kids nowadays.

Comment

I agree. Same goes for schooling.

All these tests my kid has to take just stresses 'em out.

Comment

I agree. Same goes for schooling.

All these tests my kid has to take just stresses 'em out.
                                Don't have to worry about pesky academics in places like Brazil or Portugal.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X