Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is ecnl worth the cost

We are thinking of trying out for ecnl on the girls side.Is it truly worth the cost and travel ,as I heard the travel isn't cheap and is mandatory.Please I really am looking for answers from people that are doing or have done recently.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are thinking of trying out for ecnl on the girls side.Is it truly worth the cost and travel ,as I heard the travel isn't cheap and is mandatory.Please I really am looking for answers from people that are doing or have done recently.
    Fit youth sports into your budget, not your budget into youth sports. You will spends thousands on leagues like ECNL and gda so if you do not have thousands, play in a cheaper league.

Comment

All club soccer is a waste. Play rec and do ID events to get recruited.

Signed - He who shall not be named

Comment

If your daughter is a stud and is the top half of the roster, it could be worth it. But if she is at the bottom of the roster, definitely do not do it. My older daughter played ECNL and was an impact player. Went on to play D3 at an academic school. Was recruited by multiple D1 schools but decided she did not want to commit her life to soccer in college. Younger daughter played ECNL from U15-U16. Did not enjoy her experience as much because she came off the bench and was averaging 30 min a game. Switched to s non-ECNL team her junior year and was much happier playing more minutes and still was recruited to an Academic D3 with her new team. No regrets but looking back ECNL was not the right path for my younger daughter.

Comment

It was worth it for our family. 2 daughters both top tier players and both played on top 25 D1 teams in College. Both full rides. Again ECNL is not for everyone, but the best place for exposure. So many college coaches attend, you maybe lucky to get recruited by a school that wasn't even on your radar.

Comment

It was worth it for our family. 2 daughters both top tier players and both played on top 25 D1 teams in College. Both full rides. Again ECNL is not for everyone, but the best place for exposure. So many college coaches attend, you maybe lucky to get recruited by a school that wasn't even on your radar.

Sure - since they both 'played' why are you still posting here? And both full rides no less :)

Comment

The league your kid plays in really means nothing because at the end of the day it all comes down to the level of talent a kid has and their desire to be the best player they can be. I have a daughter in the YNT system and playing at one of the top programs in the country. We weren’t in the ECNL, in fact if we relied on being there I feel strongly that she wouldn’t be where she is at today because playing at her age would have retarded her development. She was training with and playing against college and pro level players when she was a freshman in high school. Ultimately the end landing spot comes down to the individual’s work rate, not the league they play their games in.

Comment

The league your kid plays in really means nothing because at the end of the day it all comes down to the level of talent a kid has and their desire to be the best player they can be. I have a daughter in the YNT system and playing at one of the top programs in the country. We weren’t in the ECNL, in fact if we relied on being there I feel strongly that she wouldn’t be where she is at today because playing at her age would have retarded her development. She was training with and playing against college and pro level players when she was a freshman in high school. Ultimately the end landing spot comes down to the individual’s work rate, not the league they play their games in.
                That is all very nice. The question was about the cost.

Comment

Gee that's so relevant to most players. Thanks for sharing how awesome your kid is.

Comment

Thread OP: What are her long term goals (high level college soccer or just playing "somewhere" in college)? Is this something she really wants (because it will require a good deal of time)? Start there first. Carefully consider the impact on your budget and family time. Don't forget this will be a multi-year venture, not just one year.

Quality of coaching and fit is key. Don't get caught up in the patch on the sleeve. Some ECNL clubs have quality coaching, some do not. Where your kid might fit into the roster is also vital. During this time of year get her to some practices at clubs you may consider - not just ECNL but other good club options in your area. It will help you assess the clubs and where she fits best.

Comment

If your daughter is a stud and is the top half of the roster, it could be worth it. But if she is at the bottom of the roster, definitely do not do it. My older daughter played ECNL and was an impact player. Went on to play D3 at an academic school. Was recruited by multiple D1 schools but decided she did not want to commit her life to soccer in college. Younger daughter played ECNL from U15-U16. Did not enjoy her experience as much because she came off the bench and was averaging 30 min a game. Switched to s non-ECNL team her junior year and was much happier playing more minutes and still was recruited to an Academic D3 with her new team. No regrets but looking back ECNL was not the right path for my younger daughter.
                      What's an "academic" school? Aren't they all?

Comment

I've found when the term is used here, it's to mean "couldn't really play D1, so went for the 'academics' and D3"

Comment

I've found when the term is used here, it's to mean "couldn't really play D1, so went for the 'academics' and D3"
                          Or, just maybe it means

- some D1 programs have cra* soccer
                          - some D1 schools have cra* academics
                          - many D3 schools have good soccer that is better than or equal to lover level D1
                          - player doesn't want a D1 commitment

Comment

I have always wondered why people always talk about DI and DIII...never DII?

Comment

That is all very nice. The question was about the cost.
                              Stands to reason if the poster didn’t feel the ECNL was going to help a NT level player then the answer is probably no that the cost isn’t warranted. The question then who exactly does the ECNL help?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X