Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution Academy needs to make some changes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ESPN reported the median salary of an MLS player at 135,000 in 2017. Probably over 140K now.
    Stay in shape and play a game I love for a living? All at an age under 30. I would take that in a second. Working 9-5 can wait.
    Except you only play a limited number of years. Then what?

Look up Matt Turner's salary.

Comment

Except you only play a limited number of years. Then what?

Look up Matt Turner's salary.
      Like I said. Working 9-5 can wait.
      Can get a job just like everyone else after you are done.

Comment

Like I said. Working 9-5 can wait.
        Can get a job just like everyone else after you are done.
        Not if you don’t go to college

Comment

Life is long. To go to work in a tracksuit and play soccer sounds like a pretty good way to spend a few years.
          You want your kid to be an RDS coach? Why?

Comment

No, I want to support my kid’s dream of becoming a Revs player.

Comment

At least RDS coaches make more than the academy coaches

Comment

No, I want to support my kid’s dream of becoming a Revs player.
                Oh no, this guy again. If your kid wants to be a professional player get him off the Revs Academy.

You're a good dad but we all know how this will end.

Comment

ESPN reported the median salary of an MLS player at 135,000 in 2017. Probably over 140K now.
                  Stay in shape and play a game I love for a living? All at an age under 30. I would take that in a second. Working 9-5 can wait.
                  Totally agree but the Rev coaching and training ain't going to get anyone there.

Comment

Isaac Angking: $67,500.00, $72,500.00

Zachary Herivaux: $68,906.25, $83,906.25

Matt Turner: $67,500.00, $67,500.00

Comment

Isaac Angking: $67,500.00, $72,500.00

Zachary Herivaux: $68,906.25, $83,906.25

Matt Turner: $67,500.00, $67,500.00
                      You do know what median means correct?? $72,500 for an 18 yo isn’t so bad either.

Comment

You do know what median means correct?? $72,500 for an 18 yo isn’t so bad either.
                        You do know that NO ONE signing a Revs homegrown contract or "going pro" at 18 will sniff anywhere near the median, correct??

$72,500 for an 18 year old is short sighted vs. a college scholarship and education.

If stupidity is what people mean by "soccer culture" then you can keep your soccer culture.

Comment

You do know that NO ONE signing a Revs homegrown contract or "going pro" at 18 will sniff anywhere near the median, correct??

$72,500 for an 18 year old is short sighted vs. a college scholarship and education.

If stupidity is what people mean by "soccer culture" then you can keep your soccer culture.
                          Great, we’ll keep our soccer culture. Thanks!

Comment

Those kids above were more likely headed to Framingham St than Harvard or MIT. Kids should play the best cards in their hand. College is not the best answer for everyone.

Comment

It is bad if his max earning potential is only say $150,000 - IF he even reaches that level and that ends in a few years once he gets injured or cut (a very real possibility in pro sports). A college education lasts a lifetime. College education = an average of nearly $1M more total lifetime earnings. Grad school = $1.5M more. https://www.ssa.gov/retirementpolicy...-earnings.html
                              http://www.hamiltonproject.org/chart...by_degree_type

However, this is a very critical issue facing U.S. soccer. The risk/reward of forgoing a free or close to free education vs trying to go pro. The payoff right now generally isn't worth it for most typical middle income soccer families. Yet during those 18-22 years of age our players in college are not training with professional clubs like their international peers. Its a gap that becomes impossible to close as each year passes. Someone here once mentioned the idea of club setting aside the equivalent of the scholarship (or a portion of it) so that if the player gets cut in x time they get that money to go back to school. Something has to change so that more players are willing to take the leap.

Comment

It is bad if his max earning potential is only say $150,000 - IF he even reaches that level and that ends in a few years once he gets injured or cut (a very real possibility in pro sports). A college education lasts a lifetime. College education = an average of nearly $1M more total lifetime earnings. Grad school = $1.5M more. https://www.ssa.gov/retirementpolicy...-earnings.html
                                http://www.hamiltonproject.org/chart...by_degree_type

However, this is a very critical issue facing U.S. soccer. The risk/reward of forgoing a free or close to free education vs trying to go pro. The payoff right now generally isn't worth it for most typical middle income soccer families. Yet during those 18-22 years of age our players in college are not training with professional clubs like their international peers. Its a gap that becomes impossible to close as each year passes. Someone here once mentioned the idea of club setting aside the equivalent of the scholarship (or a portion of it) so that if the player gets cut in x time they get that money to go back to school. Something has to change so that more players are willing to take the leap.
                                Lies, damn lies, and statistics... quotes like the above are how the College Debt bubble was created, college costs allowed to grow out of control, and our entire school system from college on down to grade school dumbed down to the point that 50% of "College Students" (yes, I am using that term in quotes because they obviously don't belong there) need to take remedial classes in English and/or Math just as freshmen.

Not everyone has equal abilities. This is as true physically as it is mentally. Not everyone should go to college. In fact, the majority of our lower and middle income families (yes, school performance tends to follow income) should be looking at trades or Community Colleges at most.

As to kids going pro vs. college, the only reason you see most NBA/NFL players coming through college is because that is the current farm league. Most of those "student athletes" don't belong on a college campus, but those programs bring in money via TV rights so they recruit the athletes, not the scholars. Soccer doesn't have that problem... so yeah, a marginal student but soccer prodigy might want to go pro. That type of student wasn't going to earn the median college salary anyway.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X