Ivy League announces proposals curbing early recruitment aof athletes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for trying to change the system. It's gotten out of hand in all sports, not just soccer. However, I do think limiting it to the beginning of Jr year is too short of a window to do camps, visits, etc. Even for a non athlete trying to fit in college tours, standardized test taking takes some planning. Add the extra athletic piece to it and you need more time. Coaches need time for tourney attendance as well. Then if a player were inured during the very short window it could be disastrous.

Allowing transparent contact starting the beginning of sophomore year seems a good solution. The players have a full year of HS under their belt. That means a better read on their physical development, maturity and academics - coaches and players benefit. Every year helps reduce the likelihood of regrets, transfers, players getting cut because they didn't develop as hoped. I know this is what happens with many players now (for girls sophomore year is a big year). But the real and perceived pressures of players and coaches to "lock up" deals is constant. And it seems the dial keeps getting turned back bit by bit each year. How long until freshman year becomes the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I imagine that if after spending $60-70K on club soccer and then another $200K on a fancy Ivy League or NESCAC diploma only to have my kid wind up with that same $42K job only without the $5K side coaching gig I'd be a little pissed too.
      Except that those are exactly the people who AREN'T pissed. You just want them to be. There's zero evidence that anyone is complaining on this site and expressing unhappiness with Ivy or high D3 choices. None.

Comment

Except that those are exactly the people who AREN'T pissed. You just want them to be. There's zero evidence that anyone is complaining on this site and expressing unhappiness with Ivy or high D3 choices. None.
        If you truly believe that someone going to an Ivy League school while playing soccer will end up coaching you are pointing to an improbable event. I would be more than happy to pay that for their experience and learning, while pursuing a worthwhile degree. I can't imagine any of the men on the Tufts team that won nationals, for example, doing that. I can see them ending up as lawyers, doctors, dentists, businessmen, entrepreneurs. I guess what I am trying to say is that your logic makes some fanciful leaps and doesn't quite land straight.

Comment

If you truly believe that someone going to an Ivy League school while playing soccer will end up coaching you are pointing to an improbable event. I would be more than happy to pay that for their experience and learning, while pursuing a worthwhile degree. I can't imagine any of the men on the Tufts team that won nationals, for example, doing that. I can see them ending up as lawyers, doctors, dentists, businessmen, entrepreneurs. I guess what I am trying to say is that your logic makes some fanciful leaps and doesn't quite land straight.
          Oh, it was about coaching. OK. Thought it was just a slam against kids who go Ivy or high D3 and how they are always so unhappy with their choices. I agree with you.

Comment

I imagine that if after spending $60-70K on club soccer and then another $200K on a fancy Ivy League or NESCAC diploma only to have my kid wind up with that same $42K job only without the $5K side coaching gig I'd be a little pissed too.

As a parent you should never expect to get your money back. If you were, then don't spend it.

Comment

Funny ... your wife always gives me my money back, there goes that logic.

Comment

Funny ... your wife always gives me my money back, there goes that logic.
                A real genius in our midst.

Comment

No, just hung like a donkey

Comment

No, just hung like a donkey
                    with a mind to match.

Comment

I wonder if BC was laughing after Princeton tore them apart in the NCAA tourny last year. I would take a Harvard, Princeton or Yale degree over ANY other school around. MIT and Stanford are the only ones close. Don't hate on these young ladies for making such a great decision to attend these wonderful schools

Comment

I'm all for trying to change the system. It's gotten out of hand in all sports, not just soccer. However, I do think limiting it to the beginning of Jr year is too short of a window to do camps, visits, etc. Even for a non athlete trying to fit in college tours, standardized test taking takes some planning. Add the extra athletic piece to it and you need more time. Coaches need time for tourney attendance as well. Then if a player were inured during the very short window it could be disastrous.

Allowing transparent contact starting the beginning of sophomore year seems a good solution. The players have a full year of HS under their belt. That means a better read on their physical development, maturity and academics - coaches and players benefit. Every year helps reduce the likelihood of regrets, transfers, players getting cut because they didn't develop as hoped. I know this is what happens with many players now (for girls sophomore year is a big year). But the real and perceived pressures of players and coaches to "lock up" deals is constant. And it seems the dial keeps getting turned back bit by bit each year. How long until freshman year becomes the norm?

I don't know that I care one way or the other as to when recruiting is allowed. That said, since none of it is really binding until the paper is inked, what is the harm of early recruiting. My son received interest after his sophomore year and quite a bit more after his Junior year. We visited a number of schools. He decided where he was going during summer between Junior and Senior years. This might not be considered 'early' recruiting, but it was quite nice having him decided on a school early.

What are the limitations to players and coaches if a player verbally commits to a school? Does that mean that the player cannot look at other schools or that other coaches cannot approach him/her? if these limitations do not exist then I see no harm in early recruiting. When I speak of 'harm' I only refer to anything that limits the player from options.

Comment

There's no need to disparage the noble profession of coaching. A certain Patriots coach attended Wesleyan and ML of the Bills was a Rhodes Scholar.

Comment

There's no need to disparage the noble profession of coaching. A certain Patriots coach attended Wesleyan and ML of the Bills was a Rhodes Scholar.
                            I wasn't disparaging coaching professionally as a profession, just that it is a small, even infinitesimal number that would pursue an Ivy league degree to pursue coaching. And you point to two examples neither of which are related to the Ivies. Cite an example of an NCAA Ivy undergrad athlete that then went on to coach for more than the median salary. Then compare that to every other profession from that same demographic. Totally different I would bet.

Comment

Such a small mind. Some here only respect a medical or legal degree. I know several very wealthy people who parlayed their college athletic careers into very substantial incomes without playing pro. A number of them can literally buy and sell your average doctor or lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Such a small mind. Some here only respect a medical or legal degree. I know several very wealthy people who parlayed their college athletic careers into very substantial incomes without playing pro. A number of them can literally buy and sell your average doctor or lawyer.
                                And if they're smart, I'd hire them any day over the kid born with a silver spoon. The work ethic is reflected in the work, and the teamwork is essential.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X