Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The only bending that goes on is the bending to avoid a class of perfect sat scores and nothing else. If you think that should be the measure, then get rid of sports, art, theater, the newspaper....

So incorrect. But you keep on thinking you know what you think.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

...well...let me qualify that. Yes, Harvard likes to boast about the number of valedictorians that turn away. And, yes they certainly turn away perfect students, otherwise they might not get any American students in and Harvard would appear as little Asia.
    American students are falling in comparison to other sovereign countries and are now ranked 30-40th in the major categories.
    Finally...there are significant accommodations made for top athletes who are 'deemed' to have 'academic potential'......

Comment

The only bending that goes on is the bending to avoid a class of perfect sat scores and nothing else. If you think that should be the measure, then get rid of sports, art, theater, the newspaper....

...well...let me qualify that. Yes, Harvard likes to boast about the number of valedictorians that turn away. And, yes they certainly turn away perfect students, otherwise they might not get any American students in and Harvard would appear as little Asia.
      American students are falling in comparison to other sovereign countries and are now ranked 30-40th in the major categories.
      Finally...there are significant accommodations made for top athletes who are 'deemed' to have 'academic potential'......
      What is annoying is that someone on an anonymous soccer website has the audacity to trash a great kid and contributor to the soccer team and assert that the only reason he got in is because someone of a different ethnicity didn't. Why not make the same observation about the others white kids on the soccer team?

Comment

What is annoying is that someone on an anonymous soccer website has the audacity to trash a great kid and contributor to the soccer team and assert that the only reason he got in is because someone of a different ethnicity didn't. Why not make the same observation about the others white kids on the soccer team?
        I don't know any of the white kids who violently broke the law

Comment

...but if it is all the same....i don't like how the white boys who seem to have been given minimal legal penalties for sexual assault/rape in just the same way.

Comment

Yes he was a KID. It was yeas ago. He has spoken about his mistakes and by all indications has turned his life around and has been successful. He wouldn't be at Dartmouth if he rocked an 1050 SAT score.

Sorry your kid didn't get what he wanted. Maybe he should have studied harder. Maybe he wasn't blessed with genetic intelligence. Sometimes life isn't fair that way. But keep hiding behind the keyboard if it makes yourself feel better. Your teaching your kid some great life lessons.

Comment

There is no such thing as a "free" education for athletes at an Ivy League school. They give zero dollars to athletes and for that matter there is no merit money at Ivies either. All Ivies give need based aid and he likely would have got this with or without soccer. Playing soccer did allow him to get recruited and accepted at this school but he still would need to be smart enough to meet their standards. These vary for each sport but the coach cannot get a kid into an Ivy if he does not meet the minimum standard. He seems to be doing fine at the school and you cannot take that away from him.
              You're clueless, from an ivy athlete. That said, I wish the best for the youngish man.

Comment

You're clueless, from an ivy athlete. That said, I wish the best for the youngish man.
                Further, you're stupid. Every school in the country that cares about research and academics gives merit scholarships. Only absurd local prep schools don't, b/c they don't have to. It's too young an age to actually gauge outcomes. Full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Yes he was a KID. It was yeas ago. He has spoken about his mistakes and by all indications has turned his life around and has been successful. He wouldn't be at Dartmouth if he rocked an 1050 SAT score.

Sorry your kid didn't get what he wanted. Maybe he should have studied harder. Maybe he wasn't blessed with genetic intelligence. Sometimes life isn't fair that way. But keep hiding behind the keyboard if it makes yourself feel better. Your teaching your kid some great life lessons.
                  Thank you for this. I honestly don't understand how people can come on a board like this and spew when it is so painfully obvious they are plagued by jealousy. Embrace what your kid has.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    And you know nothing about this kid. Sorry it didn't work out for your kid. Karma can be tough.

Comment

Further, you're stupid. Every school in the country that cares about research and academics gives merit scholarships. Only absurd local prep schools don't, b/c they don't have to. It's too young an age to actually gauge outcomes. Full stop.
                      No merit money at Ivy League schools:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/perso...dmissions5.htm

Comment

from above link. I don't know his family situation but Ivies are very generous with need based aid. Besides - who cares if the kid is there for free or simply a reduced tuition? He's there, doing well, getting a great education.

In the case of Yale and Harvard, if a student's family earns less than $60,000 a year, they will pay nothing for their education. At both schools, the percentage the student pays goes up incrementally (from zero to 10 percent of annual income) with family earnings of $60,000 to $120,000 a year [source: Fitzsimmons and Yale Public Affairs]. In 2008, Dartmouth eliminated tuition for students from families with incomes under $75,000 and extended its need-blind admissions policy to international students [source: Dartmouth Public Affairs].

The only bad news about financial aid and scholarships at Ivy League schools is that they are entirely need-based. Ivy League schools are prohibited from offering athletic scholarships and none of the schools offer merit-based or talent-based awards. That said, Ivy League students are free to win merit-based scholarships from outside institutions and organizations, including state, federal and private scholarships.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X