Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents Have Never Been Worse

Whatever the topic, you can count on parents making the situation worse, not better.

http://highschoolsports.syracuse.com...er-been-worse/

The attacking parent said in court documents that he told the coach, "he could have cost my daughter a scholarship."
    The perfect excerpt for TS.

Comment

Because, you know, it is all about the money.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Because, you know, it is all about the money.
        Seems odd that all of these coaches are getting fired due to problem parents. So the administration is taking the word of "insane" parents vs. longtime coaches who have won state titles?

I don't buy it. My guess is that these coaches have had some questionable stuff go on and they administration could no longer defend. You don't fire great coaches with great history unless there is an underlying issue.

Comment

You have no kids in high school yet, do you.

Comment

Seems odd that all of these coaches are getting fired due to problem parents. So the administration is taking the word of "insane" parents vs. longtime coaches who have won state titles?

I don't buy it. My guess is that these coaches have had some questionable stuff go on and they administration could no longer defend. You don't fire great coaches with great history unless there is an underlying issue.
            Have you followed the Wilton HS thread on the CT board? good lord what a soap opera but intriguing. At one point evidently the parents stated it was a "safety" issue (when the school found none). But all it takes is to threaten that kind of stuff and schools will pull the trigger out of fears of lawsuits.

I believe it because 1) I have a cousin who is HS AD in another state. omg the stories this guy has, and even for what you'd think would be less pressured/less visible sports. His office is a revolving door of bit**ing parents. and 2) I've seen it at our HS. A few years ago a few "high level" club parents were pushing very hard to get a long standing coach ousted because they felt he should have been winning more state titles with the talent he had (a few ECNL and NPL players, the rest low level premier and travel). Basically they wanted their club kids to be winning more state accolades for their resumes, ignoring eh fact that while their kids played ECNL they weren't all that great. Good, not great. The other parents got word and rallied around the coach nothing ever happened. We all breathed a sigh of relief when one family in particular graduated out of the school. It doesn't take many people to make a situation miserable for all.

Comment

You have no kids in high school yet, do you.
              I do. Varsity athletes. Not buying it.

Comment

Have you followed the Wilton HS thread on the CT board? good lord what a soap opera but intriguing. At one point evidently the parents stated it was a "safety" issue (when the school found none). But all it takes is to threaten that kind of stuff and schools will pull the trigger out of fears of lawsuits.

I believe it because 1) I have a cousin who is HS AD in another state. omg the stories this guy has, and even for what you'd think would be less pressured/less visible sports. His office is a revolving door of bit**ing parents. and 2) I've seen it at our HS. A few years ago a few "high level" club parents were pushing very hard to get a long standing coach ousted because they felt he should have been winning more state titles with the talent he had (a few ECNL and NPL players, the rest low level premier and travel). Basically they wanted their club kids to be winning more state accolades for their resumes, ignoring eh fact that while their kids played ECNL they weren't all that great. Good, not great. The other parents got word and rallied around the coach nothing ever happened. We all breathed a sigh of relief when one family in particular graduated out of the school. It doesn't take many people to make a situation miserable for all.
                Kind of making my point . Parents can bitch, moan, etc. In your example, the coach kept his job.

Comment

Just because you personally haven't seen it (or participated) doesn't mean it isn't out there. It very well may be happening at your school in a different sport. It's definitely out there. That article actually had data, not just stories

Comment

Kind of making my point . Parents can bitch, moan, etc. In your example, the coach kept his job.
                    But the Wilton CT coach did not.

Comment

Just looked at the Wilton thread. Sounds like a bad program that perennially loses and they have had a bunch of coaches in the last five years. Losing tends to cause frustration. Is this news?

Comment

Then you're not really paying attention.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X