X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bring them in from another club? Wouldn't that be considered cheating just to get your team ahead? That doesn't seem right at all.

Imagine two teams in two different leagues or divisions within the same league. Imagine a cooperation between two clubs such that a player on one team is also rostered on the other. Although that player will play most games with the first team, if needed he/she can be brought over to the other team assuming that they are not in the same division of the same league or tournament. That is how Valeo does it.
    I still don't think it's right. If Team A "wins" the tournament using 2 fantastic strikers from another club entirely then in my opinion Team A didn't really win. They just used those 2 guest players as a means to get first place bragging rights. They should use their regular team with 2 other players (from lower level or younger age group) from their club. It skews the whole meaning of "Team A". Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I still don't think it's right. If Team A "wins" the tournament using 2 fantastic strikers from another club entirely then in my opinion Team A didn't really win. They just used those 2 guest players as a means to get first place bragging rights. They should use their regular team with 2 other players (from lower level or younger age group) from their club. It skews the whole meaning of "Team A". Just my 2 cents.
      Well we know clubs don't always do the "right" thing.

Comment

Well we know clubs don't always do the "right" thing.
        This is our second year at club, and I didn't know about this. Kind of surprised this is allowed. Learn something knew everyday.

Comment

This is our second year at club, and I didn't know about this. Kind of surprised this is allowed. Learn something knew everyday.
          It's not a big deal. In our case, would you rather play 3 games in one day with no subs, or grab a player from another team (up or down a skill or age level)? Or would you rather you have so many on a team that you play only half the game.

This model is not unusual in soccer clubs worldwide.

Comment

Well...you get it, you just don't like it.
            First, tournaments allow teams to use up to three guest players. This is in recognition that players and clubs might like to get a look at each other just in case they want to partner up next year. It is a chance to tryout.
            Second, you are correct that 'team A' doesn't really win.....but they do collect all the accolades and GS points for it.

Personally, I agree. Clubs should play and develop the players that they selected during the tryouts. If they want they should roster fewer than a full deck to allow changes as the year moves on. However, clubs like Valeo have actually not invited their rostered players to tournaments to allow guest players to play.

Comment

Well...you get it, you just don't like it.
              First, tournaments allow teams to use up to three guest players. This is in recognition that players and clubs might like to get a look at each other just in case they want to partner up next year. It is a chance to tryout.
              Second, you are correct that 'team A' doesn't really win.....but they do collect all the accolades and GS points for it.

Personally, I agree. Clubs should play and develop the players that they selected during the tryouts. If they want they should roster fewer than a full deck to allow changes as the year moves on. However, clubs like Valeo have actually not invited their rostered players to tournaments to allow guest players to play.
              Sure. then there's just the reality that because of injuries or other issues a team might be short a player or two, or simply want a few extra bodies to rest players. Tourneys especially can be exhausting. The best way to handle it is use the guests judiciously, just to rest your key players, and little else. Then the win really does belong to the team. Unfortunately plenty of clubs bring in a few ringers for the win. That is wrong

Comment

We've never brought a player in that wasn't on our roster. To go further, we've never had a player play a tournament game that hasn't played during the season.

I won't speak for any other club, but we pull players around and it's the way it should be. GS points and records be damned.

Comment

It's not a big deal. In our case, would you rather play 3 games in one day with no subs, or grab a player from another team (up or down a skill or age level)? Or would you rather you have so many on a team that you play only half the game.

This model is not unusual in soccer clubs worldwide.
                  Then they should use a player from their own club who can play up.

Comment

I think we are battling over semantics. In our case, every player that gets shuffled around all plays for the same organization.

Comment

I am totally against player passes and think it's the downfall of club soccer.
                      Today there are no seasonal teams they have become teams for a day.

Comment

Downfall?

Sheesh

Comment

What a ridiculous stretch. I have 2 kids in club soccer. Neither of their teams has used a guest player from outside the club at any point in the last 3 years. Several times over the past 2 years, injuries and scheduling conflicts have forced them to pull up members from the 2nd team through club pass. It's not nearly as fluid as you're implying.

Comment

OK, say your kid is on a very strong team in his/her bracket. You're going to travel an hour to play the weakest team in the bracket. Would you rather come home with a 12-0 win, having restrictions put on the kids in order to score in the second half, or would you rather have a few higher level kids (still on age, of course) from your opponent's club added to the weak team to make the competition decent. I would personally rather have the latter, preferring my kid plays a good competitive game and possibly losing against an altered roster, rather than winning in a blow out.

If parent's are so worried about the standings over playing good competitive soccer games, I say we get rid of posting scores publicly altogether. Coaches and clubs should have the information, as they need to make sure their teams are adjusted appropriately for the next season if placed incorrectly. No need for the parents to be worrying about it. They can see if their kids are developing if they are paying attention at practices and games.

Comment

Why do clubs use this.
                              #1 they registered a team not having enough players and did not want to see the cash flow decrease.
                              #2 lack of commitment from players.
                              #3 used to keep parents paying fees with the promise of playing up.
                              #4 do whatever it takes to get those got soccer points with a win.

Comment

OK, say your kid is on a very strong team in his/her bracket. You're going to travel an hour to play the weakest team in the bracket. Would you rather come home with a 12-0 win, having restrictions put on the kids in order to score in the second half, or would you rather have a few higher level kids (still on age, of course) from your opponent's club added to the weak team to make the competition decent. I would personally rather have the latter, preferring my kid plays a good competitive game and possibly losing against an altered roster, rather than winning in a blow out.

If parent's are so worried about the standings over playing good competitive soccer games, I say we get rid of posting scores publicly altogether. Coaches and clubs should have the information, as they need to make sure their teams are adjusted appropriately for the next season if placed incorrectly. No need for the parents to be worrying about it. They can see if their kids are developing if they are paying attention at practices and games.
                                This should be done with promotion or relegation but NEP does not believe in that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X