X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The argument against the new heading rule, especially closest to U12, is:

- Statistics do not show that heading a soccer ball causes concussion symptoms
    - Players will not learn how to properly settle a ball in the air.
    - Players are not learning heading techniques, which may serve as a disadvantage at U13 and above
    - Not using head has encouraged more high kicks (possibly even more players getting hurt)
    But the last the reasons are driven by poor coaching. All those things can be taught if a coach wants to do so

Comment

The argument against the new heading rule, especially closest to U12, is:

- Statistics do not show that heading a soccer ball causes concussion symptoms
      - Players will not learn how to properly settle a ball in the air.
      - Players are not learning heading techniques, which may serve as a disadvantage at U13 and above
      - Not using head has encouraged more high kicks (possibly even more players getting hurt)
      The issue with heading is not the ball hitting the head. That's a tiny part of the risk. The bigger risk is two players going up to joust for the ball with their heads. If one jumps earlier than the other, a shoulder or elbow can hit the opponent's head and do more damage than a ball. If one player jumps and the other ducks under her, the jumper can somersault and land on her head. If they both go up together, their heads can hit. After all, they are essentially aiming for the same point in space with their heads; it shouldn't surprise anyone when they make contact. When there's a cross into the box and the keeper comes out to punch the ball away, she's punching right in the area where someone is trying to head the ball. These are the most dangerous plays where heading is concerned, and I've seen them all many many times.

Other head injuries, such as falling and hitting hard turf or having a deflected clearance pop and hit an unprepared player nearby (this happened to my D once) are less avoidable.

Comment

My B as a ULittle never wanted to trap the ball with his chest because he was afraid of being hurt. It took me working with him, starting with easy lobs and throws, to learn to use his chest and not be afraid of getting hit. Now, as a U11, he is much more inclined to try and trap high balls with his chest. He is still learning to judge high balls and often has to take it after the first bounce, but it is a big improvement. I will say that tech training at mega club also focused on drills to improve chest trapping to the feet and back to the kicker, which also helped.

As to the jumping spider routine, I've seen many kids do this and I can't for the life of me understand why or how that developed. I understand a fear of being hurt in regards to using the chest, but jumping up when receiving a ball at the feet?
        Find the replay of Luis Suarez' first goal vs Celtic yesterday, and play it for your son. I promise you he'll be impressed.

Comment

Good points, so why not have a rule of no jumping while heading a ball? It's foolish to eliminate it completely. These players will not have good technique at age 13 and will be even more prone to injury.

I have seen more high kicks than ever, where players are taking cleats to the face and eyes. That happened to my kid.

Heading is part of soccer. That's the reality.

The issue with heading is not the ball hitting the head. That's a tiny part of the risk. The bigger risk is two players going up to joust for the ball with their heads. If one jumps earlier than the other, a shoulder or elbow can hit the opponent's head and do more damage than a ball. If one player jumps and the other ducks under her, the jumper can somersault and land on her head. If they both go up together, their heads can hit. After all, they are essentially aiming for the same point in space with their heads; it shouldn't surprise anyone when they make contact. When there's a cross into the box and the keeper comes out to punch the ball away, she's punching right in the area where someone is trying to head the ball. These are the most dangerous plays where heading is concerned, and I've seen them all many many times.

Other head injuries, such as falling and hitting hard turf or having a deflected clearance pop and hit an unprepared player nearby (this happened to my D once) are less avoidable.

Comment

Good points, so why not have a rule of no jumping while heading a ball? It's foolish to eliminate it completely. These players will not have good technique at age 13 and will be even more prone to injury.

I have seen more high kicks than ever, where players are taking cleats to the face and eyes. That happened to my kid.

Heading is part of soccer. That's the reality.
            I agree. High kicks are very dangerous, and they are rarely called in some leagues.

Comment

Just watch a U13 and up game, watch corner kicks in front of the net and half the players jump out of the way.
              The rule was made to change the game to how it is now played (afraid of the ball).

Comment

Normal reaction to a high ball is to either let it go, or do something to bring it down. Without being able to use the head, it's natural for players to try to use another method. Chest is not always an option, and high kicks are often being substituted. A cleat to an eye is also a serious injury.

Forcing a rule out and now all of a sudden saying coaches can teach how to handle high balls is not the answer. How did they do with teaching jumping headers? If safety is the concern, then safety should be the concern now as well.

But the last the reasons are driven by poor coaching. All those things can be taught if a coach wants to do so

Comment

Just watch a U13 and up game, watch corner kicks in front of the net and half the players jump out of the way.
                  The rule was made to change the game to how it is now played (afraid of the ball).
                  And the other half of the players are attacking the ball with their heads. Unfortunately, my kid is one of those going after the ball, and has had 2 concussions. I'd prefer no heading as long as possible, realizing that it might take a few years to "catch up" and develop the skill properly. I'm okay with that tradeoff.

Comment

Did your kid go to the air for the ball, or was he grounded when the concussions occurred?

And the other half of the players are attacking the ball with their heads. Unfortunately, my kid is one of those going after the ball, and has had 2 concussions. I'd prefer no heading as long as possible, realizing that it might take a few years to "catch up" and develop the skill properly. I'm okay with that tradeoff.

Comment

you want to find out if your kid is afraid try using a size 4 ball under inflated.
                      Just be ready for the truth that if they are afraid at 10 and they will never get over there fear when they are 13.

Comment

You can tell a kid that's scared they only try to head the balls 3 feet over there reach.

Comment

Did your kid go to the air for the ball, or was he grounded when the concussions occurred?
                          Air. First time got undercut and landed on her back and head hit the turf. Second time went up and got the ball but caught an elbow on the way down. Neither was ruled a foul, probably due to congestion or ref not wanting to award a pk.

Comment

I'd suspect that most head injuries involve jumping into the air. A better rule would be to allow heading if both feet are planted. That way, players can still learn how to head the ball and the changes won't increase high kick injuries.

Air. First time got undercut and landed on her back and head hit the turf. Second time went up and got the ball but caught an elbow on the way down. Neither was ruled a foul, probably due to congestion or ref not wanting to award a pk.

Comment

I'd suspect that most head injuries involve jumping into the air. A better rule would be to allow heading if both feet are planted. That way, players can still learn how to head the ball and the changes won't increase high kick injuries.
                              Two of my players have had concussions - both when going to head the ball and simply smacked into the head of the opposing player trying to do the same thing. The other players were fine, mine practically crawled off the field. In talking with others that seems to be a very common cause. The other common type I've seen is hitting the ground extremely hard or into the goal post (saw one kid knocked out with that one. Scary).

Comment

My my, aren't we a bit thin skinned today.
                                Keep making excuses and soccer in the US will continue to suck. 15 minutes a theme goes a long way...
                                Congrats to your D1 commits, though. You have more than one in the family?
                                Thin skinned? No, just detest stupid.

Keep spouting off with that "US soccer sucks" non-sequitur, it makes you seem erudite.

Not my kids genius, my players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X