2016 Girls D1 Fall High School Season

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just checked OA was the 6 seed in D1 South out of 17 teams. They finished their season 14-2-2 in a really good league and lost to an incredible North Attleboro team that shocked Franklin and almost beat W-H. I was just trying to make the case that OA has a great program that almost always makes the tournament, not many schools can say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Perhaps there will be left over building materials, from that wall that's going up on our southern border. If so, you can use the surplus to build a wall around Hanson and keep the interlopers out.
      What a dumb comparison. Do you even know from how far away some of these players are coming to WH? It's disingenuous to argue that this has anything to do with the spirit of school choice (which I support). If WH doesn't get you a D1 scholarship, and only playing at NEFC does, as someone said earlier, why would any of them bother, especially those with a nightmare commute.

Comment

Sorry my comment about W-H got this off track. There are many public schools (regional) that draw from other towns. While I do feel bad about kids not getting for their town team, this is the world we live in. That is why I really enjoy seeing these "town" teams (Needham, Peabody, Franklin, Weymouth, Oliver Ames) traditionally playing very well in the state tournament. .... This year I hear that Norwell, Framingham, Natick, and Braintree should have good seasons.
        2 out of the last 3 state champs have come out of the Bay State Conference

Comment

Comes down to coaching in High school soccer. There are probably 10 teams that have enough talent to win the state championship but if you have a school teacher posing as a coach and knows nothing about soccer or his/her players , you have no shot.
          Can you name a school, even two or three, that has enough talent to win a state championship but with a "teacher coach" who knows "nothing" about soccer? No, really, I'm curious.

You've got to have an idiot out of touch athletic director that would sign off on a moderately competitive program, a large portion of which today have club players making up a majority of the varsity rosters, hiring and keeping an unqualified coach in place.

Comment

While there are many teams in Eastern Mass that could win the state championship, we should not over look Algonquin Reg., 13 seniors back from a team who lost to Needham 3-1 in the state Championship game. Central Mass also has Westborough, Wachusett, and Tantasqua. D1 WEST is always strong with Ludlow, Minnechaug, Chicopee, and West Springfield. It is going to be a great year for High School girls soccer in Massachusetts!!

Comment

2 out of the last 3 state champs have come out of the Bay State Conference
              I'll pick Natick to knock out WH.

Comment

WH
                AB
                Algonquin
                Minnechaug

Comment

Natick vs. W-H would be a great game. BUT it a long season before that could happen. W-H has games against Marshfield, Silver Lake, and Hingham. Natick has games against Brookline, Needham, Braintree, and Framingham that any girl soccer fan would enjoy.

Comment

Wow, I forgot about Acton-Boxboro. Along with Lincoln-Sudbury They are good in every sport. You beat a A-B or L-S team, you are good.

Comment

What a dumb comparison. Do you even know from how far away some of these players are coming to WH? It's disingenuous to argue that this has anything to do with the spirit of school choice (which I support). If WH doesn't get you a D1 scholarship, and only playing at NEFC does, as someone said earlier, why would any of them bother, especially those with a nightmare commute.
                      That girl got her scholarship from being on NEFC's best team. Not from high school. She would have received that scholarship no matter what high school she was at because she is a good player. Anybody who thinks high school has anything to do with college soccer now is woefully behind the times. Whatever the parents reasons were to send her daughter to WH is their own but I can assure you it wasn't to get a D1 scholarship. That was gonna happen no matter what.

Comment

My team to watch is Walpole, they are always a tough game.

Comment

That girl got her scholarship from being on NEFC's best team. Not from high school. She would have received that scholarship no matter what high school she was at because she is a good player. Anybody who thinks high school has anything to do with college soccer now is woefully behind the times. Whatever the parents reasons were to send her daughter to WH is their own but I can assure you it wasn't to get a D1 scholarship. That was gonna happen no matter what.
                          Quite true. None of the coaches recruiting my kid have ever cared about HS, other than how it affected her ability to do visits, see college games, etc. None have ever asked for a HS playing schedule (but always want a club playing schedule), or when her team was playing a rival or a good team. It doesn't matter to them, as long as she stays healthy. They only ask how her HS team is doing in order to make conversation, and to possibly evaluate her answer for hints about her personality, program fit, etc.

Playing for a good HS coach on a team that has good players and maybe some club teammates as well is a terrific draw for a kid, especially if the player is more about the soccer than academics. Let's face it: school choice also means that those same student-athletes could travel a fair distance to attend the best academic high schools in the area, but they don't do that. Because soccer matters more than books at this stage.

Comment

I'll pick Natick to knock out WH.
                            This is Natick's year

Comment

If some one wants their child to play at a higher level than their local school provided, it is motivation enough. How many college coaches are making the trek to WH to see them play, not many. If your child is not good enough to bump one of the kids on the bubble, then playing for WH is not going to help get that scholarship. If a scholarship is what you are after, playing for a top club is a better bet. Or check out some of the prep schools that are looking for studs. If your child wants something and the local school cannot provide it, you sometimes have to vote with your feet. If you want to preclude having school choice kids from playing on the team, muster support from others who feel the same way and get the rules changed.

On some level I do empathize but much of life is unfair. What about the kid that is a real talent but her parents live in a town where there is no team, or the team is so bad that her talent will never be realized. Should she be held back because she lives in the wrong zip code?

If you would not prevent a school choice kid from being the schools valedictorian why would you treat sports any different?

Comment

Winning a State High School Championship is a big thing for any kid. It is exciting for the school, the town, all their family and friends. They get their name in the paper, maybe get on the local news, they get a trophy at their high school that is there forever. This is all done with your best friends that you have known all your life. This is priceless! So, you want to play college soccer play club, you can win a "National Championship" that no one in your town knows or cares about. Enjoy being a kid! It will be over before you know it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X