Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GU13 Weekend Preview (10/8-10/9) - "Cranky Columbus Day Version"

Its Columbus Day Weekend, which means no league games at all on the schedule for our List teams. This also means that not a lot for the 04 List to muse about this weekend, other than some tournament games which may or may not affect the list too much unless there are some wacky, unexpected results. It's really hard to get into these Columbus Day tournaments at all anyway. Usually any club tournament trying to reign on the parade of what is traditionally a Travel Team weekend, is really just trying to gratify themselves. It usually ends up being a bunch of its own teams playing each other every game, with the random outside team thrown in there like the proverbial third wheel on a date. The big shocker is that GPS doesn't host one (Soccerween in NY not withstanding).

Sigh, but we do have some games on the docket to be played, so lets review them as quickly as possible...

SSS AP - CFC COLUMBUS DAY CLASSIC
    SSS is the third wheel in CFC's tournament this weekend. And, although they are in the top bracket, Saturday has them playing two games against CFC lesser teams. And by lesser, I mean not their Pre-ECNL team. I can barely keep up with the team structure of our MA clubs, let alone CFC's teams. NO clue if CFC Real and North Sky are B or F teams, but since they put them in the top bracket of their own tourney, I'm guessing they are probably strong regional teams for that club. Regardless, SSS should be favored to win those games easily. Then SSS gets a rematch with Oakwood on Sunday, but I'm guessing they won't be able to play their phenom since their U14 team is also at the tournament (no dual rostering people!!!). This could be one of the more interesting games all weekend, and the defacto "GOAT". We are going to see how SSS does against a team they already beat 4-2 just a few weeks ago, but this time, without their "help". In the end, I still fully expect a SSS vs CFC Pre-ECNL match-up in the finals. That could be another good match-up, and if SSS wins that, then they could get a bump up the list this week. If they fail to make finals however, The 04 List will also make note (cue dramatic music).

FC Boston Pre-ECNL - FC BOSTON COLUMBUS CUP
    FCB takes on all its lower teams in what will basically be their version of an inter-club scrimmage tournament. They play their NPL, Metro West, and North 0teams, with Valeo playing the role of the third wheel in the last game of the weekend. This should be 4 wins for FCB, but if somehow FCB loses these, it could spell some List movement down for sure. As Roz says, "I'm watching ... always watching."

FC Stars, NEFC/Breakers, GPS - All off this weekend. I realize there might be scrimmages, and or intra-club events going on, yada yada, but The 04 List does not care. The 04 List is really just a heartless SOB ... and very cranky today. Happy Columbus Day (or Happy Indigenous Peoples' Day if you're one of those annoying PC'er folk).

Results, however few of them there may be, (might) move the List.

Comment

List guy was right! CFC ecnl v SSS in finals. Field was awful so straight to pk's. SSS won.

Comment

they didn't play any of the game, just straight to PKs? That's crazy

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          they didn't play any of the game, just straight to PKs? That's crazy
          Yes. Tough call. Finals later in the day cancelled all together. Weird that they didn't have a plan.

Comment

List guy was right! CFC ecnl v SSS in finals. Field was awful so straight to pk's. SSS won.
            "Won"
            *won

Comment

The 04 List
              Week ending 10/9/16

1. FC Stars Pre-ECNL
              2a. GPS NPL
              2b. FC Boston Pre-ECNL
              4a. NEFC NPL
              4b. SSS AP
              6. {OPEN}

Logic and Notes
              That is right, no real change in the list this week. The only bump was SSS moving from 5th up into a tie for 4th with NEFC by virtue of them making it to the finals of the CFC Columbus Day tournament (as was expected). The final game was not even played because of terrible field conditions, but they went straight to PK's to decide a "winner." Maybe GS will give them points for that, but I can't. They could have just as easily decided the winner by having 5 girls arm wrestle each other, or perhaps, a nice game of rock, paper, scissors would suffice. Its one thing to have a full hard-fought match draw decided in the end by PK's, but to skip the actual game and go straight to PK's is about as lame and arbitrary as it comes. The tournament organizers obviously realized the err of their ways (especially when it had one of their ECNL teams lose in such a dopey way), that they canceled the later final games altogether. Nope, no legit SSS win over CFC ENCL here in my book... I bump them up solely on their 1 goal win vs Oakwood in group play and that is it.

FCB gets no bump at all for beating their own club's NEP teams, that they should beat 10 out of 10 times anyway. Now if they had lost, they may have been in jeopardy of dropping, but winning these games does nothing to move them up. Its kinda like the Patriots winning the AFC East every year. Its expected, ho-hum and pretty much means very little ... unless the time comes when they don't win it. Then its YUUUUUUGE!

After this uninspired week, The 04 List is very excited to get back to real games and results this coming weekend. 4 out 5 of our List teams will be in action so there could be lots of shake ups in what has become a very tightly packed group of teams. Tight race for GOTW honors too ... Top 2 teams in both Northeast and NE NPL battle it out for top dog statu, and all 4 teams are undefeated going in to the match-ups to boot. Exciting times ahead 04 List followers! Until then ...

Game results (sometimes barely) move The List!

Comment

Did the 2004 SSS girl play for the 04 or the 03's or both?

Comment

Did the 2004 SSS girl play for the 04 or the 03's or both?
                  She didn't play in the 04 game I saw. Not sure about the rest. Was actually hoping to see her play.

Comment

She didn't play in the 04 game I saw. Not sure about the rest. Was actually hoping to see her play.
                    She is a good player and my daughter really likes to play against her because she is the type of player that if you make the slightest mistake she will capitalize. Bet you can guess my daughter's position. I do hope for her sake her coach monitors how many games she is playing. It would be a shame to see an overuse injury this early on in her career.

Comment

GU13 Weekend Preview (10/15-10/16) - The "Wise Guy" Edition

Now this is what I'm talking about. A real weekend of strong league match-ups on tap. We have the two undefeated leaders of both the New England NPL AND the Northeast NPL going mano a mano in big clashes this weekend. Even Scorsese couldn't have scripted this any better. Here we have two prominent, powerful NPL "families", each trying to find their top boss in their hierarchy. We are just about halfway through the fall NPL seasons and each league is still searching for their 'Paulie' or 'Frank Costello'. This to ultimately find out who will lead their respective league into the post season tournaments (aka Mob Wars!)

Onto the action....

"THE BOSS" (aka the GOAT. We're still going with the Mob theme here people)
                      GPS NPL vs NEFC/Breakers - (Sunday at 11am at NEFC Park)

This match-up gets top billing due to the fact this it includes 2 of our undefeated List teams. We have 3-0 GPS against 2-1-0 NEFC in what should be a real good battle. GPS supporters should feel confident that they put the bigger beat-down on Bayside, or were able to take-down SSS, where NEFC only tied them. But NEFC could go all Tommy DeVito on GPS too. "Are you laughing at me GPS? Do we amuse you?" NEFC supporters could point out that their win against Oakwood was much more impressive than taking out Aztec, and that they they tied SSS playing with their 04 enforcer, whereas GPS barely beat them without her. Which way this one goes, no one knows. But I'll give NEFC the home turf advantage and say that they come out on top in a squeaker (Willie Whistle pun totally intended).

"THE UNDERBOSS"
                      FC Stars vs East Meadow (Saturday at 8am at Field of Dreams Turf)

I could not in good conscience lump this game in with the other undercard games. The only reason it did not get GOAT status, is because its only has one List team involved. But undefeated and current Northeast NPL top dog, FC Stars takes on "Beast" Meadow bright and early tomorrow (no hotel pool and crazy hallway antics for you kiddos!). East Meadow is also undefeated, and this game should be a true dog fight. You've got the team with 0 GA (Stars) up against the team with 20 GF (EM) ... a true offensive vs defensive match up. I fully expect there to be some pistol whipping and brass knuckle punches being thrown. I could see this coming up a draw, with both sides a bit bloodied. But travel, hotels, and 8am games, are usually not helpful in a tough match-up. I give the slight edge to East Meadow here.

"THE CAPOS"

FC Stars vs Albertson Fury (Sunday at 10am at Roslyn HS)

Undercards start here, and although this still could be a good match-up, it definitely lacks the intrigue of the other two games up top. So my thinking is that Stars wins this game no matter what, but more easily if they lose to East Meadow (your typical frustration beating on a lesser opponent). If they do beat East Meadow, however, it could conversely be the classic let-down game, and make it a tighter match-up than expected. However, it would be some crazy irony if Stars beats East Meadow to stay undefeated, and then goes and loses this one. Albertson did beat FCB last month, so they may still have the taste of MA teams on their lips. I don't think that they will beat Stars on Sunday, but the List has seen far weirder things happen (The Presidential election and clowns on the loose!)

SSS vs Yankee United (Saturday at 12:15pm at Archbishop Williams HS)
                      This is simple. SSS are heading south to bump off Yankee, so that they can be made in the New England NPL. No word on whether they are bringing their enforcer, but me thinks that a bunch of lowly associates could take care of this contract. Yankee ... D.O.A.

FC Boston - One the lam, and enjoying their BYE week.

Results ... and snitches ... moves the List.

Comment

GOAT or GOTW?

Comment

GOAT or GOTW?
                          The 04 List freely admits that I might have had Tom Brady on my mind a little after his return this week ...

but for the purposes of the List, I totally meant GOTW not GOAT. Good catch. At least now I know you're reading.

Comment

GU13 Weekend Preview (10/15-10/16) - The "Wise Guy" Edition

Now this is what I'm talking about. A real weekend of strong league match-ups on tap. We have the two undefeated leaders of both the New England NPL AND the Northeast NPL going mano a mano in big clashes this weekend. Even Scorsese couldn't have scripted this any better. Here we have two prominent, powerful NPL "families", each trying to find their top boss in their hierarchy. We are just about halfway through the fall NPL seasons and each league is still searching for their 'Paulie' or 'Frank Costello'. This to ultimately find out who will lead their respective league into the post season tournaments (aka Mob Wars!)

Onto the action....

"THE BOSS" (aka the GOAT. We're still going with the Mob theme here people)
                            GPS NPL vs NEFC/Breakers - (Sunday at 11am at NEFC Park)

This match-up gets top billing due to the fact this it includes 2 of our undefeated List teams. We have 3-0 GPS against 2-1-0 NEFC in what should be a real good battle. GPS supporters should feel confident that they put the bigger beat-down on Bayside, or were able to take-down SSS, where NEFC only tied them. But NEFC could go all Tommy DeVito on GPS too. "Are you laughing at me GPS? Do we amuse you?" NEFC supporters could point out that their win against Oakwood was much more impressive than taking out Aztec, and that they they tied SSS playing with their 04 enforcer, whereas GPS barely beat them without her. Which way this one goes, no one knows. But I'll give NEFC the home turf advantage and say that they come out on top in a squeaker (Willie Whistle pun totally intended).

"THE UNDERBOSS"
                            FC Stars vs East Meadow (Saturday at 8am at Field of Dreams Turf)

I could not in good conscience lump this game in with the other undercard games. The only reason it did not get GOAT status, is because its only has one List team involved. But undefeated and current Northeast NPL top dog, FC Stars takes on "Beast" Meadow bright and early tomorrow (no hotel pool and crazy hallway antics for you kiddos!). East Meadow is also undefeated, and this game should be a true dog fight. You've got the team with 0 GA (Stars) up against the team with 20 GF (EM) ... a true offensive vs defensive match up. I fully expect there to be some pistol whipping and brass knuckle punches being thrown. I could see this coming up a draw, with both sides a bit bloodied. But travel, hotels, and 8am games, are usually not helpful in a tough match-up. I give the slight edge to East Meadow here.

"THE CAPOS"

FC Stars vs Albertson Fury (Sunday at 10am at Roslyn HS)

Undercards start here, and although this still could be a good match-up, it definitely lacks the intrigue of the other two games up top. So my thinking is that Stars wins this game no matter what, but more easily if they lose to East Meadow (your typical frustration beating on a lesser opponent). If they do beat East Meadow, however, it could conversely be the classic let-down game, and make it a tighter match-up than expected. However, it would be some crazy irony if Stars beats East Meadow to stay undefeated, and then goes and loses this one. Albertson did beat FCB last month, so they may still have the taste of MA teams on their lips. I don't think that they will beat Stars on Sunday, but the List has seen far weirder things happen (The Presidential election and clowns on the loose!)

SSS vs Yankee United (Saturday at 12:15pm at Archbishop Williams HS)
                            This is simple. SSS are heading south to bump off Yankee, so that they can be made in the New England NPL. No word on whether they are bringing their enforcer, but me thinks that a bunch of lowly associates could take care of this contract. Yankee ... D.O.A.

FC Boston - One the lam, and enjoying their BYE week.

Results ... and snitches ... moves the List.
                            "Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family"

Bring on the games!

Comment

Leave the soccer ball take the cannoli

Comment

"Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family"

Bring on the games!
                                Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in MC

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X