•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    St. John's Prep 1
    Silver Lake 0

North is flat out dominant over the South.
    St. John's is better than Silver Lake.

Not sure what happened in the Lexington vs Needham game. Maybe Needham "resting some players" to get out of that #5 seed?

Comment

Completely consistent with the North being far stronger this year
      To get a sense of this, let's list all north vs south games between D1 tourney teams.

Comment

Middlesex League now has wins this year against Bay State, DCL, & GBL
        Did they beat Somerville Everett or Medford? Malden stinks a win vs Malden means nothing.

Comment

Did they beat Somerville Everett or Medford? Malden stinks a win vs Malden means nothing.
          Malden beat Medford

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFilides View Post
            St. John's is better than Silver Lake.

Not sure what happened in the Lexington vs Needham game. Maybe Needham "resting some players" to get out of that #5 seed?
            Sorry Alex, I was there and it could have gone either way. SL had more shots on goal and missed a PK. Unless you were there and have other notes.

Comment

Are games seriously on youtube?

Do you have a link or info what games are on and how to access?

Thanks.
              Idk but if they are can someone send me a link of a revere game? Heard they were good. I'd like to see them play.

Comment

Sorry Alex, I was there and it could have gone either way. SL had more shots on goal and missed a PK. Unless you were there and have other notes.
                I'll take your word for it.

You said it could've gone either way, but I would disagree with that. Maybe SL had more shots on goal, but shooting like other parts of soccer is a skill, one that should be practiced every day. Shots on goal is only good if the ball is going into the net, otherwise, all you're doing is giving possession back to the other team.

Comment

You said it could've gone either way, but I would disagree with that. Maybe SL had more shots on goal, but shooting like other parts of soccer is a skill, one that should be practiced every day. Shots on goal is only good if the ball is going into the net, otherwise, all you're doing is giving possession back to the other team.
                  Not true at all, rebound goals are a big part of the game if the keeper doesn't field it cleanly but saves it then it can absolutely still be a good thing for the other team

Comment

Not true at all, rebound goals are a big part of the game if the keeper doesn't field it cleanly but saves it then it can absolutely still be a good thing for the other team
                    I don't disagree, rebound goals can be important, but it still requires good shooting. But it's also something you have to train your players to look for in practice. I've seen plenty of Needham games, they seem to have a knack for shooting the ball well and being on the look out for rebound opportunities, probably better than any other team that I've seen. Too many instances where a shot is taken and it's taken for granted that it will either end up resulting in a goal, a save or a miss.
                    Last edited by AlexFilides; 10-30-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

I don't disagree, rebound goals can be important, but it still requires good shooting. But it's also something you have to train your players to look for in practice. I've seen plenty of Needham games, they seem to have a knack for shooting the ball well and being on the look out for rebound opportunities, probably better than any other team that I've seen. Too many instances where a shot is taken and it's taken for granted that it will either end up resulting in a goal, a save or a miss.
                      will you acknowledge that Braintree have this won - why anyone doubt

Comment

You're not wrong. However the context I was referring to was as derived metric from other things that generally come into play in order for shots on goal opportunities to exist, which is why it is often used. Not to nit pick as this is a boring topic for most people who don't enjoy statistics.

Comment

Top 5 Teams on the Tournament Choke List
                          1. Nauset
                          2. East Boston
                          3. Framingham
                          4. Holliston
                          5. Natick
                          Good calls Alex. Nauset and East Boston suffer from playing weaker schedules year round. I am sure Nauset is a strong team so I would be surprised if we see another first round exit like last year. Not sure what to say about Framingham and Holliston as they play in tough leagues and chronically under-perform. Likely a coaching issue as both towns have strong youth programs, typically good seasons and then struggle. One pattern you can see with Holliston is they typically start the season strong and end on a weak note. Teams should be getting better throughout the year and if that isn't happening you have to start asking questions.

Comment

Good calls Alex. Nauset and East Boston suffer from playing weaker schedules year round. I am sure Nauset is a strong team so I would be surprised if we see another first round exit like last year. Not sure what to say about Framingham and Holliston as they play in tough leagues and chronically under-perform. Likely a coaching issue as both towns have strong youth programs, typically good seasons and then struggle. One pattern you can see with Holliston is they typically start the season strong and end on a weak note. Teams should be getting better throughout the year and if that isn't happening you have to start asking questions.
                            Well talk of Framingham choking is kind of short sighted. I believe they were in the state title game 6 or so years ago and that was after an EMASS final. They haven't gone too far recently but they've been a player at times too.

Comment

I had Framingham in there:

2010 Won 2 tourney games despite being #23 seed.
                              2011 2nd round loss to Chelsea
                              2012 1st round loss to St. John's Prep, a bit more acceptable.
                              2013 1st round OT loss to Acton Boxboro, despite higher seed.
                              2014 2nd round loss to Malden 1-0.
                              2015 1st round loss to Lincoln-Sudbury in PKs

It's not losing to bad teams. It's also not getting the job done in close games against similar competition. That's why they are in the Top 5.

It's debatable whether they should be on there, because of their run from 2006-2009.

Natick

2006 2nd round loss to Falmouth after beating Durfee.
                              2007 1st round loss to Catholic Memorial
                              2008 Won a game vs Boston English before losing to Sandwich 3-0.
                              2009 1st round loss to Wellesley
                              2010 1st round loss to Mansfield in PKs
                              2012 1st round loss to Barnstable
                              2013 1st round loss to Mansfield 3-1, despite higher seed.
                              2014 1st round loss to Wellesley.

Natick has 1 tournament win against Boston English since 2007. No question they belong in the Top 5.
                              Last edited by AlexFilides; 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Nauset will not choke. They will win the D2 South convincingly. Only teams that can threaten them are:
                                1) bishop Feehan
                                2) Walpole
                                3) Dartmouth *But we will have a comparable after todays game vs. Sandwich.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X