Playing Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't speak to other leagues, but NEP rules regarding substitution and play time are clearly stated on their website and if clubs/teams aren't following those rules, it should be addressed with the coach, then the DoC, then the Board of the club and league.

I've posted what is on the NEP website below. Bottom line, ages U12 and below require a minimum 30 minutes of play time per game with the ideal being equal play time. At U13 and above, it is recommended, but not required. At U16 and above, there is no guaranteed play time.

NEP Substitution Rules

U9 - U12 Substitution Rules
    Players should have at least 15 minutes of playing time before substitution.
    This is to ensure equal playing time for all.
    Also so that players can have time to perform and develop.

U13 - U15 Substitution Rules
    It is strongly recommended ALL players get equal playing time to ensure development.
    The league Recommends that once a player is substituted they do not return to play that same half.

U16 - U18 Substitution Rules
    When a player is substituted from a half they are NOT allowed to return to play that same half.
    If a player is substituted in the first half, they are eligible to return to the second half.
    The only time it is recommended that a player return in the same half of play is if a team mate is injured and all other subs have been used.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      That's terrible, must have been a long 2 years. You might be apprehensive about indicating which club it was, but it would sure help us avoid them in the future.
      -Revolution

Comment

Is there an NEP rule about switching clubs, do they allow moving to a new club after the fall season?

Comment

There is no rule but you need to ask your current club to release you before you can get a player card from your new club that you join for the spring.

Also check your current contract, some clubs demand full payment of the entire year prior to them releasing your player.

If that is the case the new club will not be able to issue you a card until your former club releases your kid and if you do not satisfy your contract they most likely not release you.

Comment

There is no rule but you need to ask your current club to release you before you can get a player card from your new club that you join for the spring.

Also check your current contract, some clubs demand full payment of the entire year prior to them releasing your player.

If that is the case the new club will not be able to issue you a card until your former club releases your kid and if you do not satisfy your contract they most likely not release you.

But that is only if you are going from US Club to US Club teams, if you are coming from a US Youth Team (maple) and switching to a US Club team (NEP,NPL,ECNL) there is no issue

Comment

These ***hole coaches seem to forget that parents are paying a lot of money, and should get equal playing time! If they don't think your kid is good enough, they should not have offered them a spot on the team. F***ing money grubs. If I see my kid sitting, I will unleash the fury on that sorry son a bitch coach!

Comment

These ***hole coaches seem to forget that parents are paying a lot of money, and should get equal playing time! If they don't think your kid is good enough, they should not have offered them a spot on the team. F***ing money grubs. If I see my kid sitting, I will unleash the fury on that sorry son a bitch coach!
                Sure you will.

Comment

Suck it old man

Comment

What age group? The older you go and the higher the team, the more competition for starting spots and play time. From u14 on up, it can get tough if you're not in the top 11 on the roster. Below u14, it should be about development and equal play time.

Comment

Regarding playing time - most parents want meaningful minutes however many parents also want wins. It's really hard to win AND develop ALL players. So I think the play time issue stems from parents (and some coaches/clubs) looking for wins.

Regarding placement - I personally think it's better to be on a stronger, more fast paced team, and be in the bottom half. Than be in the top third on a weaker team.

My son went from one of the top players on a big clubs B team (Championship level NEP), to a bottom third player on a small clubs A team (Elite level Maple). The difference in experience is amazing. The speed of play is so much faster AND the players are much more hard working and dedicated. He loves the challenge, his coach, and his teammates.

Forget about A team/B team, big club/small club, league and club name.

If you really want development and playing time, find a club and coach that has that philosophy. It's out there. You just have to do your HW.

Also, consider your kids temperment. If she/he can't hack being at the bottom, don't put them in that situation. At the end of the day, fun should be the number one priority.

The best thing I did was ask around regarding clubs. Opposing teams parents, parents of my kids friends, etc. I've found that people are more than happy to share their experiences. Especially if they are unhappy.

Also, comb through club websites. Many clubs are actually somewhat honest. I've seen websites state that their goal is to win championships. If they put that out there, they are not a good fit for bottom third players on a team.

Comment

Regarding playing time - most parents want meaningful minutes however many parents also want wins. It's really hard to win AND develop ALL players. So I think the play time issue stems from parents (and some coaches/clubs) looking for wins.

Regarding placement - I personally think it's better to be on a stronger, more fast paced team, and be in the bottom half. Than be in the top third on a weaker team.

My son went from one of the top players on a big clubs B team (Championship level NEP), to a bottom third player on a small clubs A team (Elite level Maple). The difference in experience is amazing. The speed of play is so much faster AND the players are much more hard working and dedicated. He loves the challenge, his coach, and his teammates.

Forget about A team/B team, big club/small club, league and club name.

If you really want development and playing time, find a club and coach that has that philosophy. It's out there. You just have to do your HW.

Also, consider your kids temperment. If she/he can't hack being at the bottom, don't put them in that situation. At the end of the day, fun should be the number one priority.

The best thing I did was ask around regarding clubs. Opposing teams parents, parents of my kids friends, etc. I've found that people are more than happy to share their experiences. Especially if they are unhappy.

Also, comb through club websites. Many clubs are actually somewhat honest. I've seen websites state that their goal is to win championships. If they put that out there, they are not a good fit for bottom third players on a team.
                        There's a good deal of truth here. Finding the best fit for your player is key. Some will thrive in a more pressured environment and some will not. That said, even if the training is top notch it doesn't do anyone any good to sit all the time. Ask DA players who never see the field - great training and great competition, but if you rarely get to play against that competition? It can be soul crushing even for kids with sturdy temperaments

Comment

There's a good deal of truth here. Finding the best fit for your player is key. Some will thrive in a more pressured environment and some will not. That said, even if the training is top notch it doesn't do anyone any good to sit all the time. Ask DA players who never see the field - great training and great competition, but if you rarely get to play against that competition? It can be soul crushing even for kids with sturdy temperaments
                          This really isn't about fit. If we're talking about teams at U14 and below in NEP there are very specific rules regarding substitutions and play time. Every team in NEP under that age should be focussed on development and equal play time. Period. If coaches aren't adhering to that philosophy, then it should be addressed and you might want to rethink staying with that team/coach/club.

At U15+, it is murkier and the rules about play time and substitutions aren't as liberal. It is at this age that team placement and fit is most important, as if you're not in the starting 11 and top 15 on the roster, you won't necessarily be seeing many minutes.

Comment

This really isn't about fit. If we're talking about teams at U14 and below in NEP there are very specific rules regarding substitutions and play time. Every team in NEP under that age should be focussed on development and equal play time. Period. If coaches aren't adhering to that philosophy, then it should be addressed and you might want to rethink staying with that team/coach/club.

At U15+, it is murkier and the rules about play time and substitutions aren't as liberal. It is at this age that team placement and fit is most important, as if you're not in the starting 11 and top 15 on the roster, you won't necessarily be seeing many minutes.
                            Yeah ask DA players about PT rules. Cold hard reality is rules or not (and many leagues do not have any rules about PT) coaches and clubs push for wins. Parents think winning means their kids are developing. in a highly competitive club environment having a winning record brings in new talent. Development and winning doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, but in close games the bench players will sit even more. Doesn't make it right, but it is what happens.

Comment

If we stopped taking kids like yours, there would only be 2 teams per age group in the whole state.
                              And then the word "elite" might actually mean something.

Maybe you need to have a reality check regarding your kid's ability. You don't apply to Harvard if you don't have the goods. And even if Harvard offers a spot, you don't send the kid there if they can't hack it.

Do people watch tryouts? Do they honestly compare their kid with others?
                              We need a grading system so they can get a better understanding of ability.

But no matter what, blame the coaches.

Comment

Yeah ask DA players about PT rules. Cold hard reality is rules or not (and many leagues do not have any rules about PT) coaches and clubs push for wins. Parents think winning means their kids are developing. in a highly competitive club environment having a winning record brings in new talent. Development and winning doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, but in close games the bench players will sit even more. Doesn't make it right, but it is what happens.
                                Understood and honestly, it is a bit of the old "Buyer beware". Those that move to NPL/ECNL/DA, especially before U15 need to understand the realities of those leagues and the competitive nature of those teams. I was specifically talking about NEP, which has specific rules about play time and substitutions and whose clubs are supposed to adhere to a "development first" philosophy. Other leagues are different and it behooves any parent to understand the rules and philosophies of the clubs/teams they join.

If your'e going to spend $2-4k on club fees and additional money on uniforms, travel, extra tournaments, etc., you might want to do some research first. Go watch a few games and see how substitutions are done. See how the coach interacts with the players. Talk to the DoC and the coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X