Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the different NCAA Divisions ACTUALLY stack up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do the different NCAA Divisions ACTUALLY stack up?

I've been wrestling with how to communicate this and I'm curious what you think of this graphic.

It's a histogram showing how many programs have a particular Massey Rating aggregated by NCAA (and NAIA) affiliation. You can check it out here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlC...ew?usp=sharing

I'm hoping it illustrates how the levels are far more diverse than a lot of folks seem to think...

Big picture... does it really matter? Find the right school and fit. Period. Kids who want a big conference D1 experience should go for it. Kids who want to go to a small high academic LAC should go for it. Level of collegiate competition is stupid to compare because the super competitive kids that want the highest level of competition are usually trying to play for programs that are vying for a National Championship. Locally speaking, WA has 2 Pac-12 programs and 2 mid-tier D1 programs. WSU recruits players as if they want to really go to the NCAA tournament. UW hasn't been part of that conversation on the girls side for years. Maybe with a new coach this will change. Both programs have huge athletic budgets and glamorous perks for being part of their sports programs. And getting to play for either would be amazing and both schools are great. Not going to argue which school is academically better because graduates from both do fine finding internships and jobs.

Then you have SU and Gonzaga. You are going to have a vastly different type of college experience at both. Right off the bat, no big time college football program. Gonzaga has men's bball but the campus itself is small and overall being a student at Gonzaga is going to be very different than a school like UW. Same goes for SU. No greek systems at either, no crazy sports culture (although Zags Mbball is crazy), and it doesn't carry the same type of D1 hype P5 programs do. But both SU and Gonzaga are great schools with great outcomes for their graduates.

Then you have D2 WWU, SPU, CWU, and St. Martins. WWU was a finalist last year in the D2 National Championships and is always a contender having won it in 2016. These schools clearly do not have the same budgets as any of the other D1 schools mentioned above or the sports culture that goes along with it. But both schools have great outcomes for their graduates. WWU campus is beautiful. and SPU's location to downtown and in the heart of Queen Anne and access to great companies for internships is something not to be overlooked. CWU's campus is beautiful. Generally speaking, students who choose CWU don't mind living in a city like Ellensberg. Not sure what types of students choose St. Martins given it's high cost of attendance. Several great D3 programs in WA too, including PLU and UPS. Great schools with great alumni networks and pipelines for internships at many local Fortune 500 companies.

At the end of the day, strength of program isn't as important as what the actual student-athlete wants their college experience to be and what they hope to get out of it. Most college players, speaking as one myself, would say that the experience they had with their teammates is what they'll remember the most. The friendships, road trips, living together, etc. is what they cherish the most.

Instead of focusing on academic or athletic ratings focus on best fit for what each potential collegiate player wants. Not everyone wants to go to a hyper competitive academic school or be part of a college program where they might never play of the field. Those four years will go by fast and then for most everyone their soccer careers will be over. Save the match-ups for sports betting in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I've been wrestling with how to communicate this and I'm curious what you think of this graphic.

It's a histogram showing how many programs have a particular Massey Rating aggregated by NCAA (and NAIA) affiliation. You can check it out here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlC...ew?usp=sharing

I'm hoping it illustrates how the levels are far more diverse than a lot of folks seem to think...
      What's there to wrestle with? Of course there is going to be overlap. The only part of this chart you can't argue with is the top of D1. But mid-to-lower D1 will overlap with D3/D2/and maybe even NAIA.

Comment

Can't get the attachment to open, but yes, plenty of D3 teams that could beat teams in higher divisions. The athlete needs to find the academic and athletic fit, regardless of division. Some D3s may come up with more merit $ than you will get in athletic $ at a D1

Comment

What’s funny is no one seems to care much about rankings once the club players go off to college. There are many P5 freshmen who don’t play much or at all and many also quit and/or transfer. A few people notice and watch the games but most don’t know or care. On the other hand, people seem obsessed with where each kid is recruited when the kids are still in high school.

Agree with the above poster: forget about rankings and divisions. Find the best academic and social fit and add the soccer piece as a bonus. But everyone is different.

There are a few top P5 bound players living the dream, loving soccer and college and getting loads of minutes but the majority choose one of the options below.

Question: Would your child rather
          !. be recruited to a top P5 and once there be told they won’t play much if at all so look elsewhere or stay and sit the pine? or
          2. Get a last minute spot on a team at a d2 or d3 at a college your kid picked because they loved the school and then start and play all or most of every game at a school they love? or
          3. Take an small offer from a d1 school and go to school for the soccer and know there’s only a 50-50 chance they’ll like the school? Or
          4. Take an offer from a mid or even lower level d1, work their ass off from 5am till late at night with work outs, trainings, games, classes and homework?
          Note: Option 2 is really the only one with time for any significant social life or anything else outside of soccer and classes.Or
          5. Attend the college they love even if they don’t make the team. Play club or do whatever they want with all the extra time.

I did #4 and I’d do it again but I hope my kids choose option 2 or, if they’re bonkers for soccer, option 4. If they’re either lukewarm about soccer or bonkers for school, social life, tough majors,study abroad, and other adventures, then #5.

Comment

My observation.

The top D1 programs play good soccer with phenomenal athletes. Talking about the top 25ish programs.

Lower D1 programs have awesome athletes but the game play quality is lower. Games are usually very physical.

D2/3/NAIA generally play good soccer but players likely have “flaws” size, speed, etc.

If you aren’t in the YNT pool expect to sit for a couple years at the upper D1 level. Personally, hope my kid plays at the D3 school right down the road. It’s a university with great academics, they play a really attractive “brand” of soccer, she would probably get significant minutes from day 1 and, although she is probably capable of playing at a higher division, it would be as a role player at best.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X