Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There are MANY studs at U10 who fizzle out by U16 or long before, but almost all studs at U16 were studs at U10 too.
    Agree, but some fly under the radar until they are recognized at the high school ages.

Comment

Agree, but some fly under the radar until they are recognized at the high school ages.
      C’mon now. Maybe 20 years ago. When does an exceptional athlete fly under the radar these days?

Comment

C’mon now. Maybe 20 years ago. When does an exceptional athlete fly under the radar these days?
        Every day, all day.

Comment

Where is there radar for exceptional young athletes?

Comment

Where is there radar for exceptional young athletes?
            its called eyes you have 2 of them ,open them and actually believe what you see
            not see what you believe

Comment

it still happens.

Comment

Often times they initially focus primarily on one sport, while peripherally playing another, then switch later on. It happens quite often. Their ability to excel in the later sport partly depends on the sport, but more so on their drive to improve and work hard at it. Intense athletes tend to be that way no matter what they play

Comment

Often times they initially focus primarily on one sport, while peripherally playing another, then switch later on. It happens quite often. Their ability to excel in the later sport partly depends on the sport, but more so on their drive to improve and work hard at it. Intense athletes tend to be that way no matter what they play
                  I have two daughters (u11 and U13). They both play three sports. I see the same kids excelling in soccer, basketball/hockey and lacrosse. Will their focus change? Maybe. But it’s still the same pool of kids.

Comment

I have two daughters (u11 and U13). They both play three sports. I see the same kids excelling in soccer, basketball/hockey and lacrosse. Will their focus change? Maybe. But it’s still the same pool of kids.
                    Wow you have seen it all by 13.

Comment

Yeah, my kid lettered at three sports. ECNL coaches let your absences slide if you're a strong player. She's playing soccer in college next. It was possible that she could have switched to one of her other sports, but didn't happen. I have seen it, though, with soccer players switching to softball for college, for example, but it doesn't happen often.

I agree it's the same pool of kids. By junior year h.s., the athletic group is all sorted.

Comment

Happens earlier with girls because of puberty, but even then there are definitely outliers. It's more about what sport they put the most focus on. In this day and age being a multi sport athlete isn't easy. Even if coaches allow for absences (many will not) there's usually enough time in the day to do it all, plus school work, sleep and an occasional social life

Comment

Scouting for soccer talent.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/arti...mpression=true

Comment

"A blunt truth emerges: Seeking out players when they are very young is surely not an ideal formula for scouting success. The development of game intelligence remains fairly mysterious; the asset is one whose eventual emergence can be hard to predict early on."

Comment

"A blunt truth emerges: Seeking out players when they are very young is surely not an ideal formula for scouting success. The development of game intelligence remains fairly mysterious; the asset is one whose eventual emergence can be hard to predict early on."
                              Nothing new here. Players that have "the ability" at older ages most certainly had it at younger ages as well. The article contradicts itself in that casting a large net at the youth level and tracking players is the right way to capture those players that will have "the ability" when it matters later in their careers as long as the club system they belong to knows how to maintain and cultivate that "game intelligence".

Comment

What age do you think you can tell if a kid has it or not? Curious if the tall girl at 10 generally remains strong or do those who enter puberty earlier lose their advantage in a few years? My kid is mid pack so it could go any way, but curious for the hell of it to see who is strongest in 2,4,5 years... How much will it change?
                                You can tell without a doubt at 12.35 years of age

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X