Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a reasonable roster size for 9v9?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I would. No double rostering. Period. Done.
    I think that is what should be done by the town travel organizations. But then you have situations where my kids dropped out of travel because we always felt bad missing practices and taking up a slot but the phone never stopped ringing from the travel coach to sign up for travel anyway play whenever we could. We did absolutely nothing to encourage that. We even were told we would get a cheaper rate since we would not be making all the games.

I agree that the travel organizations shoot themselves in the foot by not teaching the kids they skills they need to keep travel programs strong. My kids coaches said they did not have time to train kids on things like footskills in travel. So it was bootball to the fast kid and 9 other kids on the field with little in the way of skills.

Comment

You want those popup kids to stay in the fold because they're more likely to return. The better players who should go into premier will be back taking their rosters spots in high school.

You sound bitter - did your kid not make a travel team?
      They don't return. That's bs. They jump between a few different popups. Many end up playing F team ball at FSA lamenting their decisions. And, those who play popup have quit club by sophomore year and only do h.s. soccer.

Nah, my kid is FSA ECNL. I have just coached town travel for a lot of years -- and, no, my kid doesn't double.

Comment

I think that is what should be done by the town travel organizations. But then you have situations where my kids dropped out of travel because we always felt bad missing practices and taking up a slot but the phone never stopped ringing from the travel coach to sign up for travel anyway play whenever we could. We did absolutely nothing to encourage that. We even were told we would get a cheaper rate since we would not be making all the games.

I agree that the travel organizations shoot themselves in the foot by not teaching the kids they skills they need to keep travel programs strong. My kids coaches said they did not have time to train kids on things like footskills in travel. So it was bootball to the fast kid and 9 other kids on the field with little in the way of skills.
        The coach who chased you is an idiot who's not doing good things for either his team or his club. He was chasing the win, which is the wrong approach when you are trying to develop players and navigate a team through U14.

Comment

.......My kids coaches said they did not have time to train kids on things like footskills in travel. So it was bootball to the fast kid and 9 other kids on the field with little in the way of skills.
          What coach would even say "they did not have time to train kids on things like footskills in travel"? That's ridiculous. It's my focus at uLittle and still a strong component at U12, though other things work in as the years go. Footskills are a fundemental basic foundation (add synonyms). Any coach that says they don't have time for that needs to be let go, and I don't care if he's a vollie.

Comment

Fine then take 20-24 and pool your players into two teams and leagues so that each set of players has games each weekend. 18 on a single roster is RIDICULOUS for 9v9.
            Take 18. Make two teams of 9. Share 4 kids from each team as subs. Run two teams. Done.

Comment

The coach who chased you is an idiot who's not doing good things for either his team or his club. He was chasing the win, which is the wrong approach when you are trying to develop players and navigate a team through U14.
              You are dead on. And everything that went on in regards to the team was all about the almighty win. That is part of the reason why we left for club. And people bash the FSA F team families when this is what is going on in a lot of the travel orgs. The premium for doign the FSA F team is well woth the cost when what I describe is the alternative.

Comment

What coach would even say "they did not have time to train kids on things like footskills in travel"? That's ridiculous. It's my focus at uLittle and still a strong component at U12, though other things work in as the years go. Footskills are a fundemental basic foundation (add synonyms). Any coach that says they don't have time for that needs to be let go, and I don't care if he's a vollie.
                Both of my kids coaches said that in our travel club at one point. The kids who had dribbling skills and used them were termed ball hogs and they got less playing time even though a few of them are solid players on various club teams in the area.

Comment

Both of my kids coaches said that in our travel club at one point. The kids who had dribbling skills and used them were termed ball hogs and they got less playing time even though a few of them are solid players on various club teams in the area.
                  Encourage ball hogs and confidence, especially at the younger ages. Too often we train these good traits out of players (OW, looking at you!). Teaching passing is a lot easier than teaching self confidence to take on a defender 1v1 and 1v2.

Comment

Encourage ball hogs and confidence, especially at the younger ages. Too often we train these good traits out of players (OW, looking at you!). Teaching passing is a lot easier than teaching self confidence to take on a defender 1v1 and 1v2.
                    But if a player with ballz can't keep the ball....

Comment

But if a player with ballz can't keep the ball....
                      Teaching them how to keep the ball is easier than teaching the self confidence to want to keep the ball. Remember, you are coaching kids to help them improve, it's not so much about team wins, so why not focus on the attributes the kid brings to the table naturally?

Comment

14 is best. If play a 3-3-2, can sub 2 outside backs, 2 outside mids 2 forwards. Most teams will build around a solid CB and CM doesn't matter what age it is.
                        18-24 is what our club carries split into 2 teams for games

Comment

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! This give 2-3 selfish players bad reinforcement and they are the only ones that get anything out of it. Their constant turnovers cost everyone touches (including themselves). Encourage kids to play 2-3 touch, possession soccer with lots of combining on the back half and through midfield, and more selfish play up front where kids are encouraged to take on 1v1 and sometimes even 1v2. This said, you must rotate every player through every position a lot so they all learn to develop a team game and individual footskills. Most young teams fail here miserably as they put the big, fast kid up front to do nothing but run and toe it in. It can't be one or the other all of the time or you get a bunch of turnover machines or one-touch queens that never take anyone on. When they learn to play both of these ways they will figure out when to do one thing vs the other on every part of the field ..... but you have to be patient and let them learn by making mistakes (and sometimes big ones that cost games) and then coaching them to better possible alternatives for the next time.

Comment

Teaching them how to keep the ball is easier than teaching the self confidence to want to keep the ball. Remember, you are coaching kids to help them improve, it's not so much about team wins, so why not focus on the attributes the kid brings to the table naturally?
                            You have to be an FSA coach.

Comment

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! This give 2-3 selfish players bad reinforcement and they are the only ones that get anything out of it. Their constant turnovers cost everyone touches (including themselves). Encourage kids to play 2-3 touch, possession soccer with lots of combining on the back half and through midfield, and more selfish play up front where kids are encouraged to take on 1v1 and sometimes even 1v2. This said, you must rotate every player through every position a lot so they all learn to develop a team game and individual footskills. Most young teams fail here miserably as they put the big, fast kid up front to do nothing but run and toe it in. It can't be one or the other all of the time or you get a bunch of turnover machines or one-touch queens that never take anyone on. When they learn to play both of these ways they will figure out when to do one thing vs the other on every part of the field ..... but you have to be patient and let them learn by making mistakes (and sometimes big ones that cost games) and then coaching them to better possible alternatives for the next time.
                              Yup. Typical know-nothing popup coach/fat azz soccer dad.

2-3 touch possession and tactics come later than ulittle. Begin by encouraging confidence and working with the kids' strengths.

Comment

You have to be an FSA coach.
                                I am a good coach. Everything has its time. Ulittle is not the time to coach confidence out of the kid. Teach passing and tactics as the years pass. Let them run with confidence if they have it and guide them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X