X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That’s great!
    But if that was your goal from the beginning then you failed your child.
    We invested over $80k between two kids and got jack squat. Very disappointed in the fact they were not willing to do more work on their own time and always had excuses when we tried to set up private trainings (homework, prom, boys..etc).

Now one of them is "barista". Back in the day we called the people who made coffee "the secretary", but whatever. The other is taking a "gap year" that turned into "gap years" and is living with an unemployed lumberjack who spends his days at the coffee shop writing poetry and making a living borrowing money from grandma.

The college dream my foot.

Comment

Is club soccer worth it?

I don't see a player getting out of youth soccer paying nothing less than 16K (that would be 2K a year for eight years). GDA and ECNL way more! GDA route 21K ECNL 40K over the youth career?

There is the life experience and lessons but that can be duplicated elsewhere. Why not just be a multi sport middle school and high school athlete and save the money. High school coaches can teach you life is hard just like the club coaches. Unless you are the best player on the team all coaches seem bad.

I don't understand America's desire to invest so much money in soccer. The only athletes that truly make out are D1 Football and D1 men's basket ball.
      Almost all kid activities cost decent $ these days. Sports, music, performing arts, etc. Parents want to support their kids' passions, whatever they are. I've seen families spend what seems to be crazy money on activities I just don't get. I'm sure they feel the same way about my kids' soccer. Parents also hope their kids' passions turn into a hook for college admission, something that gives their kid an edge over other applicants. It isn't even always about scholarships (there are almost none in men's soccer anyway) but the edge. Most soccer families are middle to upper class and are very education driven. This is what clubs use to their advantage. Cold hard reality that is if a kid does want to play in college club soccer is more or less a necessity. Even for many top high schools you're not going to make the varsity team without being a good player. But if college isn't your ultimate goal, then bail and put that money in a good college savings plan. Get your weekends and holiday weekends back.

Comment

We invested over $80k between two kids and got jack squat. Very disappointed in the fact they were not willing to do more work on their own time and always had excuses when we tried to set up private trainings (homework, prom, boys..etc).

Now one of them is "barista". Back in the day we called the people who made coffee "the secretary", but whatever. The other is taking a "gap year" that turned into "gap years" and is living with an unemployed lumberjack who spends his days at the coffee shop writing poetry and making a living borrowing money from grandma.

That sounds awful. I hope you express your disapproval openly.

Comment

Why not just tell the coach that you want your kid to play in less than 35 games. If they play more, that gives the other kids more opportunities. Win win.
          So your kid couldn't hack it and your trying to bring parents of those kids who can, down to your level. Seen it before we should name this psychosis.

Comment

This is why you shouldn't spend money on soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X