X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That’s cool, I get that.
    Someone from your club mentioned that you’ve had to police your own sideline a little.
    We have a few folks that need a reality check. We will be traveling to tournaments this summer with them, and just looking for what anyone has done to chill the offenders without creating bad blood.
    I believe we will be reviewing parent conduct in our new season meeting, and I will be talking to the head coach about parent conduct. I realize that when we have one coach at a game, they don’t really see, or are concerned with the parent sideline, so some parent policing will probably be necessary.
    Not the person you have been conversing with, nor am I from either W*T*F*C or FC. However, I do find it interesting how concerned you are about this. I do not mean that in a negative way at all! You did have a couple of bad apples on your sideline this past year, one of whom has moved on. And now, by all accounts you have another "set" of difficult parents coming in. If you have witnessed bad behavior by them, simply speak to them. Let them know that is not acceptable. Then, go to the coach if that does not work.

Comment

Not the person you have been conversing with, nor am I from either W*T*F*C or FC. However, I do find it interesting how concerned you are about this. I do not mean that in a negative way at all! You did have a couple of bad apples on your sideline this past year, one of whom has moved on. And now, by all accounts you have another "set" of difficult parents coming in. If you have witnessed bad behavior by them, simply speak to them. Let them know that is not acceptable. Then, go to the coach if that does not work.
      FC has a reputation, unfortunately, for readily absorbing the problem families that leave other clubs (whether stomping off in a huff, or being asked to leave), and of looking the other way--especially if the kids in question have talent.

One other bit of advice: in some cases, there's one parent who is difficult and one who is reasonable. Speaking to the reasonable one might work better than confronting the difficult one directly. (Or not--often times a person who will act like a jackass on a youth soccer sideline, is a fire-breathing dragon behind closed doors).

Comment

FC has a reputation, unfortunately, for readily absorbing the problem families that leave other clubs (whether stomping off in a huff, or being asked to leave), and of looking the other way--especially if the kids in question have talent.

One other bit of advice: in some cases, there's one parent who is difficult and one who is reasonable. Speaking to the reasonable one might work better than confronting the difficult one directly. (Or not--often times a person who will act like a jackass on a youth soccer sideline, is a fire-breathing dragon behind closed doors).
        I get it. All teams have some over zealous parents and it can be uncomfortable sharing the sideline with them. However, there is a difference between a loud, generally positive, rah-rah, "This is our house, we will not lose" kind of parent, vs the obnoxious, over the top, line crossing ones previously mentioned. I have never confronted a parent on my child's team, but I have witnessed a parent from another team confronting one of their own. It was obvious that this had been an ongoing issue, and the parent in question was acting ridiculous. The funny thing is, once that one parent called out the offending parent, multiple other parent's spoke up. There was a full on intervention, on the sidelines, in the middle of the game. Some months later, we played the same team again and I recognized the parent who had confronted the obnoxious one. I spoke to her, and she said that things had been great since. The coach got involved and spoke to the parent, who admitted that he was not capable of policing himself at the game. The parent stopped coming to games, and his wife would come instead and face time the game for him to watch. I know that sounds pathetic, but the thing is this parent told me that away from soccer, the man in question was a very kind, sweet person. Kind of weird what we parents become when watching our kids do THEIR thing.

Comment

I get it. All teams have some over zealous parents and it can be uncomfortable sharing the sideline with them. However, there is a difference between a loud, generally positive, rah-rah, "This is our house, we will not lose" kind of parent, vs the obnoxious, over the top, line crossing ones previously mentioned. I have never confronted a parent on my child's team, but I have witnessed a parent from another team confronting one of their own. It was obvious that this had been an ongoing issue, and the parent in question was acting ridiculous. The funny thing is, once that one parent called out the offending parent, multiple other parent's spoke up. There was a full on intervention, on the sidelines, in the middle of the game. Some months later, we played the same team again and I recognized the parent who had confronted the obnoxious one. I spoke to her, and she said that things had been great since. The coach got involved and spoke to the parent, who admitted that he was not capable of policing himself at the game. The parent stopped coming to games, and his wife would come instead and face time the game for him to watch. I know that sounds pathetic, but the thing is this parent told me that away from soccer, the man in question was a very kind, sweet person. Kind of weird what we parents become when watching our kids do THEIR thing.
          I've found that the best method is being direct with the offending parent at the time that they are being obnoxious. "Quit coaching" and "let them play" are two easy phrases that won't elicit a negative reaction. The problem is that royally obnoxious parents zip it for a game or two but need additional reminders as the season progresses. The brilliance of calling out the offenders in real time is that it puts other parents on notice that they should watch what they say as well.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. We are determined to be as good on the sideline as Eastside was this past season!
            I don’t know if we were collectively the worst, but we don’t even want to be in consideration this season.
            Will take the various advice, and are open to any other provided.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X