Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realities of club soccer, would you do something different?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question that I know I should not be asking at TS but here goes ...

My boy is a cutoff kid that was not held back. He is the youngest in his grade and will graduate high school age 17.5. He will have another year of eligibility to play DA should he want to. Question: can you play DA while in college, as long as you do not participate in college soccer? Question 2: would playing DA freshman year be preferable to playing (or rather not playing) college soccer as a freshman? Wouldn't a kid develop more in DA as a starter than watching seniors and juniors play in college? To any who provide a serious answer , thanks.

We have had girls return from college breaks and play on our DA team so I am assuming yes. The 2nd question is confusing because while not impossible, it is unlikely that anyone would get a shot playing college unless having gone through the whole recruiting path and committed for the freshman year.

It would take a special player to not participate in college the 1st year (even if he does not play a minute as freshman) and still have a spot as sophomore. If he were that good, I would imagine the question being asked would be more in line with forgoing college to go play over seas.

Comment

We have had girls return from college breaks and play on our DA team so I am assuming yes. The 2nd question is confusing because while not impossible, it is unlikely that anyone would get a shot playing college unless having gone through the whole recruiting path and committed for the freshman year.

It would take a special player to not participate in college the 1st year (even if he does not play a minute as freshman) and still have a spot as sophomore. If he were that good, I would imagine the question being asked would be more in line with forgoing college to go play over seas.
      Well, maybe I am being unrealistic. Boys i think is also a bit different than girls. But lets say the kid is a good DA player but not national level and a late bloomer who is improving every year. So I would say there could be a difference in catching the eye of a top D1 program at age 18 or 19 rather than 16 or 17. physical, mental maturity will be much different.

Comment

Well, maybe I am being unrealistic. Boys i think is also a bit different than girls. But lets say the kid is a good DA player but not national level and a late bloomer who is improving every year. So I would say there could be a difference in catching the eye of a top D1 program at age 18 or 19 rather than 16 or 17. physical, mental maturity will be much different.
        What is his end goal? Professional soccer? Playing at a top collegiate men's program? The best education he can get on your dime with or without scholarship?

If he is not national caliber your focus may be best served seeking entry into the best school instead of the best men's program. If he is a smart kid, I would wager his merit scholarship potential will exceed is athletic scholarship potential.

Comment

D1 colleges take in soccer playing transfers from community colleges. Taking CC classes and playing DA might be an option if the player is reaching out to the colleges.

Comment

D1 colleges take in soccer playing transfers from community colleges. Taking CC classes and playing DA might be an option if the player is reaching out to the colleges.

Risky especially in light of his comment that his son is not National Caliber to begin with. At some point you have to read the tea leaves and know that an education will serve better than dragging out the dream another year in hopes of being noticed.

Comment

That's a spectacularly bad plan

Comment

It is easier to get admitted to UF from community colleges than as an incoming freshman. D1 coaches will be scouting for soccer studs at the community colleges.

Comment

It is easier to get admitted to UF from community colleges than as an incoming freshman. D1 coaches will be scouting for soccer studs at the community colleges.

no, not really

Comment

It is a bad plan. Most D1 players that came from a junior college (or any player, really - D1, D2, D3, or NAIA) played at the JC. Believe it or not but there are some decent JC players that do very well upon transferring.

Comment

no, i don't think D1 coaches recruit soccer studs at community colleges. the question was does it make a difference if your kid plays DA (not CC) for one year after graduation (assuming he can) and is seen by coaches at showcases and presumably shows well. does it make a difference to come in as a sophomore or a freshman? that was the question asked; no one thinks CC games are being scouted by D1 coaches.

Comment

750 white boys admitted as Freshman. Is that accurate? One of the states large universities only has room for 750 white boys?

What is the admittance breakdown by sex and race?
                        The link to UofF stats for fall 2017 were posted at the front of the thread. The fall headcounts showed 2,900 freshmen with 25% out of state freshmen , 20% less males as freshmen, 50% white, ..so yes the 2018 headcounts could very well be only 750 white boys from in state.

Comment

What is his end goal? Professional soccer? Playing at a top collegiate men's program? The best education he can get on your dime with or without scholarship?

If he is not national caliber your focus may be best served seeking entry into the best school instead of the best men's program. If he is a smart kid, I would wager his merit scholarship potential will exceed is athletic scholarship potential.
                          yes, no one is saying that academics take a back seat. but please stick to the question asked. say a kid is really good but maybe just a bit below the level required for top D1 programs. but kid is developing physically a lot between ages 16 and 18 and highly motivated. Is it even a possibility to play one more year at DA (assuming kid has a year of eligibility) show well at all events and get on a top d1 team (scholarship is not my question) coming in as a sophomore, not a freshman. by top d1 I mean top 20 program nationally.
                          This is a hypothetical.

Comment

yes, no one is saying that academics take a back seat. but please stick to the question asked. say a kid is really good but maybe just a bit below the level required for top D1 programs. but kid is developing physically a lot between ages 16 and 18 and highly motivated. Is it even a possibility to play one more year at DA (assuming kid has a year of eligibility) show well at all events and get on a top d1 team (scholarship is not my question) coming in as a sophomore, not a freshman. by top d1 I mean top 20 program nationally.
                            This is a hypothetical.
                            With all the transfers these days of course it is a reality to come in as a freshman to a top D1. D1 programs scout everywhere including international for the top players.

Comment

Correction -as a sophomore

Comment

This is a hypothetical.

If you are the OP, you clearly stated that your kid was not National Caliber. If that is the case you are taking an extremely big chance that he will develop more physically, talent wise and get noticed at one of the showcases where all the other top players will also be.

In the end it is your family and I wish you all the best. As for staying in DA, it should be possible as kids do come back on College break and play for the DA teams if they are still in the age bracket.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X