Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agree if cost isn’t an issue. However, if you/your parents are hell bent on ONLY D1 soccer and you don’t get into Yale but you do get into Amherst and UMass or Fairfield, your only choice is D1 because the shame of D3 Amherst wouldn’t even be worth living anymore and no one would believe you that your kid “could’ve gone D1”. Life is 100% about soccer, especially for girls, so any D3 school is complete garbage, don’t you know.
    What a douchey post. Because of people like you I’d go to Fairfield or UMass every day and 2x on Sundays over the turds at Amherst. Soccer or no. Give it a rest. Why? UMass is a large highly ranked and climbing public institution with some of the best research opportunities in the US. Fairfield is a Jesuit university. Religious. Also has the top ranked business program in CT and 100% job placement. Get it?

Comment

I think the point was that Amherst is almost as selective as Yale/Ivy League and that many students don't get accepted that have the GPA and SAT scores. I also get that playing sports can help with admissions.

The issue for our family is simply cost. Even if my kid was accepted to Yale or Amherst, I don't see how we could afford it given there is no athletic or academic money. Does she have the grades? Yes. Does she have the soccer? Yes. Does it matter if we can't get help with the cost? Nope.
      I just ran the Yale net price calculator for a family with modest assets and a &200k household income. It brought Yale down from $73k to $40k all in through a grant. Take the time to do the math.

Comment

I just ran the Yale net price calculator for a family with modest assets and a &200k household income. It brought Yale down from $73k to $40k all in through a grant. Take the time to do the math.
        yes. most of the dopes on this site dont understand that the financial aid/grants available at all of the ivys and at places like amherst are FAR greater than the available athletic scholarship money at non-Ivy schools.

Comment

I've run through those same calculators. They give an estimate and a range. If you look at the range, it can vary upwards of 20%, which on a $70 or 80K tuition bill annually is a bit of money.

My D will apply to Ivy and NESCAC because she has the grades and she'll talk to the coaches because she has the soccer talent, but she knows they are low on her list of 15 schools because of the total cost... even with FA. If she gets in, she can say for the rest of her life "I was accepted to XYZ". I highly doubt she'll be able to say "I received my degree from Ivy XYZ".

College costs are in a bubble caused by available debt. No different than the stock bubble of 2001 and the housing bubble of 2008. Actually, there is a difference: College loan debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Those who speculated on stocks and houses could rebuild and move on with their lives when they got in over their heads financially. Kids (who don't know any better), are being asked to speculate on their future earnings with debt they can't get rid of and are unlikely to pay off.

When I gave her three school options, all realistic, one with a free ride, one with a partial scholarship with a small amount of loans and an Ivy or NESCAC with just some FA and lots of student loans, she chose the partial because it met all her needs for academic, location/size, and soccer. The free ride was also acceptable to her, but her 2nd choice. The Ivy/NESCAC was a distant third. I'm fine with that. Grad school is a given and attaining an undergrad with little to no debt is more important than any name brand recognition.

Comment

Those calculators are BS. Yale and others have a graduated system that taps out at about $150K. You will not get that kind of deal making $20Ok. I know of that I speak. We were only given a number like that when I had two in college for one year. After that it popped back up to 63K the remaining 3 years. Income about $180. Dont assume anything until you get the actual letter

Comment

Better info on Ivy financial assistance. A lot of soccer families in the NE (higher cost of living = higher income) won't qualify for much. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...tack-up-2017-3

Comment

What a douchey post. Because of people like you I’d go to Fairfield or UMass every day and 2x on Sundays over the turds at Amherst. Soccer or no. Give it a rest. Why? UMass is a large highly ranked and climbing public institution with some of the best research opportunities in the US. Fairfield is a Jesuit university. Religious. Also has the top ranked business program in CT and 100% job placement. Get it?
                Literally no one who is Yale or Amherst material goes to Fairfield. No one. If you want to make an argument about being really poor and going for the Honors College at UMass (which is a great deal and very good education) then fine.

All of these posts act like none of these kids would be going to college at all if not for playing soccer....as though when the kids were born Daddy was saying "I hope you get an athletic scholarship because otherwise you won't be going to college." Tons of kids go to college and to great D3 colleges too without any athletics. Imagine that.

Comment

I've run through those same calculators. They give an estimate and a range. If you look at the range, it can vary upwards of 20%, which on a $70 or 80K tuition bill annually is a bit of money.

My D will apply to Ivy and NESCAC because she has the grades and she'll talk to the coaches because she has the soccer talent, but she knows they are low on her list of 15 schools because of the total cost... even with FA. If she gets in, she can say for the rest of her life "I was accepted to XYZ". I highly doubt she'll be able to say "I received my degree from Ivy XYZ".

College costs are in a bubble caused by available debt. No different than the stock bubble of 2001 and the housing bubble of 2008. Actually, there is a difference: College loan debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. Those who speculated on stocks and houses could rebuild and move on with their lives when they got in over their heads financially. Kids (who don't know any better), are being asked to speculate on their future earnings with debt they can't get rid of and are unlikely to pay off.

When I gave her three school options, all realistic, one with a free ride, one with a partial scholarship with a small amount of loans and an Ivy or NESCAC with just some FA and lots of student loans, she chose the partial because it met all her needs for academic, location/size, and soccer. The free ride was also acceptable to her, but her 2nd choice. The Ivy/NESCAC was a distant third. I'm fine with that. Grad school is a given and attaining an undergrad with little to no debt is more important than any name brand recognition.
                  LOL. How do you know grad school is a given?

Comment

Amherst vs Tufts in final
                    I think NESCAC is top conference.
                    These teams would be good even in division 1
                    Top soccer school for D3 Women is Messiah College in MAC conference for many years. 2019 National Champs. Amherst and Tufts suck for women’s soccer. Messiah’s got an 80% acceptance rate and you’ll come out with a degree for about $100k all in. True value for the money. But I’m sure the New England snobs will turn their nose up and choose a local school that costs 2-3x as much for lousy soccer; it’s their idea of “value”.

Comment

Because her 1st choice major is pre-med and her career choice means medical school. She will end up with six figures of student debt before she is done... no reason to start that early with undergrad. Smart people with strong work ethic do fine where ever they end up.

Comment

Because her 1st choice major is pre-med and her career choice means medical school. She will end up with six figures of student debt before she is done... no reason to start that early with undergrad. Smart people with strong work ethic do fine where ever they end up.
                        No worries....three weeks into her first semester she'll be done with pre-med....just like BTNT's kid. So don't worry about that med school debt.

Comment

Top soccer school for D3 Women is Messiah College in MAC conference for many years. 2019 National Champs. Amherst and Tufts suck for women’s soccer. Messiah’s got an 80% acceptance rate and you’ll come out with a degree for about $100k all in. True value for the money. But I’m sure the New England snobs will turn their nose up and choose a local school that costs 2-3x as much for lousy soccer; it’s their idea of “value”.
                          What's wrong with William Smith? Or SLU? Or Wheaton? Or Wooster?

Not everyone is an evangelical, speaking in tongues Christian, ya know.

Comment

Cuz it's his kid, and he just gave it.
                            Seems like it's a family value, and part of her assumed long term plan.

Maybe you have one of those afflictions that limit your contextualized comprehension, what's it called Aspergers? I know it's pronounced Ass-burgers which always makes me laugh

Comment

Messiah is a good deal, even at the 50K a year that it really costs.

Comment

Those calculators are BS. Yale and others have a graduated system that taps out at about $150K. You will not get that kind of deal making $20Ok. I know of that I speak. We were only given a number like that when I had two in college for one year. After that it popped back up to 63K the remaining 3 years. Income about $180. Dont assume anything until you get the actual letter
                                This. I've heard stories from friends who went through similar experience. College is a business, just because most are "non-for-profit", doesn't mean they absolutely market and sell the crap out of themselves at the expense of their customers/students. They are selling an idea and they know their target market. Once they have you hooked for a year, how many parents are going to turn around and tell their kid they have to transfer?

College admissions types are basically like car salesmen at a luxury dealership. They aren't going to hammer you on "price", they will sell the dream and the exclusivity and the future earnings and everything else. Once you've signed on the dotted line, it's your problem to figure out how to pay for it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X