Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What type of strength training is she doing? My daughter is feeling stressed out because she has put on weight and is not as fast as she was when she committed last year (will be playing fall 2020). Wants to do Keto and crossfit with her non-soccer bff and I think this is a terrible idea.
    Find her a good trainer or group class that works with young athletes. Don't get her a gym membership and send her on her way. Small investment for long term benefits

Comment

What type of strength training is she doing? My daughter is feeling stressed out because she has put on weight and is not as fast as she was when she committed last year (will be playing fall 2020). Wants to do Keto and crossfit with her non-soccer bff and I think this is a terrible idea.
      The strength training program she is on was developed by professional sports trainer who works exclusively with HS/College athletes. It consists of some body weight work, core exercises, some band work, some kettle bell work, squats, etc. I would stay far away from crossfit. You want to get stronger without injury (no guarantee with crossfit) and without putting on massive amounts of muscle, especially in areas that aren't needed for soccer.

Keto is controversial for athletes. If she wants to drop some weight quickly and then shift to a different diet, it should be fine, but not something you want athletes on long term. She would actually be better off going vegetarian while working out.

Comment

The strength training program she is on was developed by professional sports trainer who works exclusively with HS/College athletes. It consists of some body weight work, core exercises, some band work, some kettle bell work, squats, etc. I would stay far away from crossfit. You want to get stronger without injury (no guarantee with crossfit) and without putting on massive amounts of muscle, especially in areas that aren't needed for soccer.

Keto is controversial for athletes. If she wants to drop some weight quickly and then shift to a different diet, it should be fine, but not something you want athletes on long term. She would actually be better off going vegetarian while working out.
        Good advice above. We found one who operates similarly and has made a huge difference with our two athletes. Meeting with a nutritionist may be a good idea also. Athletes need a different nutrition plan than an average person wanting to drop a few pounds. Sometimes (often) teens are much more receptive to new ideas coming from someone else 😜😜😜. Setting them on the right course before college can help them avoid common pitfalls in college dining

Comment

Good advice above. We found one who operates similarly and has made a huge difference with our two athletes. Meeting with a nutritionist may be a good idea also. Athletes need a different nutrition plan than an average person wanting to drop a few pounds. Sometimes (often) teens are much more receptive to new ideas coming from someone else 😜😜😜. Setting them on the right course before college can help them avoid common pitfalls in college dining
          agreed

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X