Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing in college questions

Can someone tell me the commitment (countable hours) for D1 & D2? When i researched it they seem to be the same. 20hrs/wk - 4hrs/day Max and 8hrs/wk - 2 hrs max.day off season. My son is in 9th grade and we are just starting this process of researching types of schools in Florida along with trying to understand the difference between the divisions. In my own research sources say d2 is more balanced. How so? And is it better to play for a low tier D1 or a high level d2?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can someone tell me the commitment (countable hours) for D1 & D2? When i researched it they seem to be the same. 20hrs/wk - 4hrs/day Max and 8hrs/wk - 2 hrs max.day off season. My son is in 9th grade and we are just starting this process of researching types of schools in Florida along with trying to understand the difference between the divisions. In my own research sources say d2 is more balanced. How so? And is it better to play for a low tier D1 or a high level d2?
    My advice would be to make sure he really likes the schools he's looking at, and IS NOT only focusing on the soccer aspect.

In regard to hours, I wouldn't even try to gauge it by "countable" hours...as there's not going to be any one formula for commitment.

Make sure when you visit or research the individual program you get a feel for the level of commitment required/expecting---and it won't all be "official" time.

This is not directed at you, but sometimes I don't think some of the kids understand exactly what they're getting into commitment wise.

Comment

So how are the divisions different in terms of time commitment?

Comment

Depending on the team there might not be...or it could be minimal.

I think D 1 teams may have more travel away, but even that depends on the team.

Comment

d2 mens soccer filled with foreigner players

Comment

There are no differences in time commitment. If the teams are good, they train quite a bit at all levels. Have your child focus on school now, then find the best college fit for their education. If sports works into that, great. If not, they will be no better or worse off. All will be pro accountants, lawyers or dog catchers in 10 years anyway.

Comment

d2 mens soccer filled with foreigner players
              D1 has piles of foreign players also.

Comment

If your kid is playing college soccer he’s probably not going pro - so pick the best team that will win something and enjoy the end of his soccer career - he has 50 years to figure out a job and pay back loans

Comment

Each program and coach is different but "in general "
                  D1 and D2 are more often described as jobs. Practices, workouts, team meetings + school work means little time for anything else. Pre season starts early August, and you don't really have much time off in the spring semester. The spring is lighterbit still omnipresent. The NCAA requires academic support for athletes, but hard core programs often push athletes into majors that are easier to manage (think Communications majors, not STEM). For all of that you may or may not get athletic money to play. On the men's side there aren't as many scholarships to divide (9.9 vs 14 for women) and foreign players take a chunk of that money. Some players will get none or very little but will still be expected to give 110% like everyone else. Your job is always on the line. It isn't for everyone but many thrive in the environment. Depending on the school a few studs the coach really wants may get in with grades and scores that are below average for the school(but not by crazy differences). D1 can run the gambit academically from Stanford to East Butt State U. D2s generally aren't very strong academically but there are some specialized ones that are.

D3 offers more of a balance because there aren't official games or practices after the fall season That doesn't mean you still won't practice, have 6am work outs or games, but they're not official and there's not really the travel as in season. It's much easier to do internships and study abroad because of the off season, and pre sesson starts just before school starts. D3 athletes don't tend to live with their teammates the way a lot of D1 and 2 players will. D3 programs tend to attract the student-athletes not the other way around. Coaches really don't have much pull with admissions so your grades need to be close to their target. There's no athletic $ but often good merit money if you're a good student. There are very few foreign players, and since keeping players doesn't really cost a coach much you're less likely to lose your spot to a shiny new freshman. There is no athlete specific academic support but most schools will have some academic support for all its students. Some will be small LAC schools in the mide of nowhere but there's also much larger ines like U Chicago, Emory and other top quality schools.

I would also add that not only does your son need to take all of this into consideration, but you need to meet with his club DOC or coach and determine what level and types of programs are realistic targets for his skills. Being realistic and targeting well will greatly improve his odds of success. Have him start big picture with a large list of schools that are good academic fits, then overlay the soccer piece. If the roster is filled with NT players and he isn't ine? Keep looking.

The actual recruitment process is a whole other ling topic

Comment

Academic fit first and foremost. The odds of playing all four years isn't great because cuts, injuries and burnout are very real issues. At any school he should ask himself, if soccer goes away will I still be happy here? No one is going pro. Het the best education you can afford.

Comment

Great responses.

Comment

If your kid is playing college soccer he’s probably not going pro - so pick the best team that will win something and enjoy the end of his soccer career - he has 50 years to figure out a job and pay back loans
                        Not true at all..college Is a start...what the player does from there is up too him..don't say becoming a pro is out of the question...world class yes I would say that's could be out of reach..rowdies or a MLS team could happen..and if a student I smart they get a academic scholarship and get a great education with low college loans...never think your going to make a living at soccer though..education and career should be too priority

Comment

Rest/sleep - study - entertainment - athletics: One of the four has to go. It must not be the rest, or the study part in collegiate athletics, and it has nothing to do with the division.

Comment

Not true at all..college Is a start...what the player does from there is up too him..don't say becoming a pro is out of the question...world class yes I would say that's could be out of reach..rowdies or a MLS team could happen..and if a student I smart they get a academic scholarship and get a great education with low college loans...never think your going to make a living at soccer though..education and career should be too priority
                            College soccer is like HS soccer on steroids; it's a developmental dead end. If you're really serious about going pro do it asap, right after HS graduation is preferred, no more than 2 years in college. the longer you stay the further behind you'll be vs the pros

Besides, the point is the # going pro is a tiny fraction. Also, not many will last all four years - they get cut, career ending injuries, they're burned out, they quit because they're not getting PT. Always chose base on academics first, soccer second.

Comment

College soccer is like HS soccer on steroids; it's a developmental dead end. If you're really serious about going pro do it asap, right after HS graduation is preferred, no more than 2 years in college. the longer you stay the further behind you'll be vs the pros

Besides, the point is the # going pro is a tiny fraction. Also, not many will last all four years - they get cut, career ending injuries, they're burned out, they quit because they're not getting PT. Always chose base on academics first, soccer second.
                              In any good sports program in college the sport will become a lifestyle and will consume a lot of time. Be sure of the important things and dont focus on some turd on here or even google telling you an amount of hours.

-Love the school for the school not the sport
                              -Like the program enough to be willing to LIVE it 24/7

if 1 and 2 are met, work hard, enjoy the ride just remember

-dont skip too many classes
                              -never skip practice
                              -be sober for AT LEAST the above 2 points
                              -Pull out even if its good

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X