Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College recruiting - non scholarship players

If a coach offers a player a spot on their college roster but no money how is that player viewed among the team or coach? Does the player have a chance to earn quality playing time or does playing time typically go to high-dollar players?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If a coach offers a player a spot on their college roster but no money how is that player viewed among the team or coach? Does the player have a chance to earn quality playing time or does playing time typically go to high-dollar players?
    It depends.

I have seen coaches try to "run off" recruited players receiving dollars who are not contributing to the team the way the coach expects. That way the dollars get freed up for future recruits.

In my limited experience, most of the time, the coach gives playing time to the players who are viewed as being the ones to most help get the result. Sometimes, favoritism, politics, and future scholarship dollars can be a factor. New coaches have been known to "clean house."

Comment

But if you are not offered money does that imply the coach doesn’t believe you’ll contribute much?

Comment

It depends. There’s not enough money for everyone on a soccer team. I’d ask the coach directly how they see your player contributing to the team. In my experience coaches very much appreciated us not beating around the bush and just being super direct.

Comment

Maybe the coach is going to help you get academic or other non athletic scholarship money.
          Ask.
          Also depends on the program. Some kids just want a spot and a uniform on certain programs. And some dont offer money until they see you are interested by wanting to be there.

Comment

If not offered a scholarship, it's not recruiting.
            You are the buyer, soccer experience is part of the product
            If a Scholarship is offered, they are the buyer, your athlete is the product.

Comment

But if you are not offered money does that imply the coach doesn’t believe you’ll contribute much?
              Ask questions. You can ask the coach. They are human not gods. If a coach refuses to give you the time of day about questions relating to your kid, then they are likely to treat your daughter the same way. Keep shopping.

Comment

If not offered a scholarship, it's not recruiting.
                You are the buyer, soccer experience is part of the product
                If a Scholarship is offered, they are the buyer, your athlete is the product.
                Totally wrong. Recruiting does not always come in the form of dollars. It can come in the form of an admission tip or “merit” aid. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Comment

Totally wrong. Recruiting does not always come in the form of dollars. It can come in the form of an admission tip or “merit” aid. You have no idea what you are talking about.
                  Keep telling yourself that. Tips mean something at Ivies because a) they are D1 programs and b) they are worth getting into.

D3 Tips are sales tokens. Like I said, I was recruited by my Audi dealer earlier today. Said I was his top prospect and he is going to make sure I am given one of his two tips for the vehicles coming in next week.

Comment

Boy or girl? It matters. There's not much money in men's soccer, much more in women's. What year? There's nothing left for any 2020s, some for 20201s but closing up quickly (probably done at better programs). Is the program fully funded? Not all are so that also means less $ to go around. Some programs actually don't give hardly anything to freshmen then you earn your keep. Has your player looked at the resumes of the starting players and watched game footage? Does an honest assessment lead you to think they are just as good?

Ultimately if the school is perfect for them and they can accept that they may not play much then Why not? It's possible they work into an impact player.
                    They may not. But in the end the academics matter most. If it's not the perfect school or being a benchwarmer will really bother them, then keep looking

Comment

Unless it’s a D1 team, aren’t most players getting no money?

Comment

Keep telling yourself that. Tips mean something at Ivies because a) they are D1 programs and b) they are worth getting into.

D3 Tips are sales tokens. Like I said, I was recruited by my Audi dealer earlier today. Said I was his top prospect and he is going to make sure I am given one of his two tips for the vehicles coming in next week.
                        This is absolutely the truth about D3 soccer. Playing D3 soccer, is no different than joining any other campus club or activity.

Comment

Tips and merit aid come to kids that are wanted for a team. It’s not always scholarship money. How exactly does this equate with cars? Have you even been through the process? No, didn’t think so. It shows.

Comment

This is absolutely the truth about D3 soccer. Playing D3 soccer, is no different than joining any other campus club or activity.
                            Uh okay. Keep telling yourself that.

Comment

Ah yes the holy grail of D1. I know of plenty of crap D1 teams, but hey, at least you can say you play D1!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X