Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When it comes to success at the high school level it is a combination of multiple factors but coaching seems to make the most impact.
    School size clearly has almost no bearing - otherwise Pinkerton should win every sport, every year - with a size of 2 to 3 times that of most of it's opposition. School administration support matters too.
    Consistent, quality coaching can clearly keep a program successful even as different players pass through their programs. Exeter girls soccer is a great example: 7 titles over 9 years from 2006 to 2014 and then again this year. Hanover boys soccer won 6 titles from 2005 to 2010 in Div 2 and then remarkably won it again this year in Div 1 as the smallest school in Div 1, more than 1/5 the size of Pinkerton. Bow girls soccer was in the Div 3 title game every year from 2010 to 2015 (winning 4) - and then twice again in Div 2 (winning 1). In Div 4, Sunapee has been in 6 title games over 10 years (winning 5). Winnacunnet Girls basketball won 5 Div 1 state titles in a row from 2007 - 2011 - the coach retired and they dropped off substantially.
    There are examples of player impact too: Central wins 2 years in a row, graduates an all-american striker and loses this year in the 1/4 finals. Epping girls soccer won the D4 title last year and this year didn't even make it into the post-season - same coach both years.
    I've already seen posts of jerk responses that are typical of this site. It's too bad because it could be a nice site to discuss soccer in NH. If not for a bunch of folks who rip on people and then probably run to bathroom mirror to compliment themselves. So rather than be that jerk I will respond with a thanks for details first.

I sway back and forth on this one. Maybe in the lower divisions good coaches don't mean as much as a few good players. But I may agree that in the higher divisions the ability of a coach to be a great game manager with the talent he or she has (cultivated and improved at the club level) is a big difference maker from state champs, runner ups or lesser programs.

Comment

Well, it was chalked up to the coach having the greatest impact...then the whole argument was shot that it was the player.

Tell me this....the most successful girls soccer program in NH History is likely Manchester West in the 80's and 90's. One coach for most of it, who nobody in their right mind would tell you was anywhere near good. So, it wasn't the coach, the players rolled over every 4 years. What was it? The school size and where they players came from.
      Why wasn't he good? He got the most out of his talent. Was he a great motivator? Did he push his players to give him the most of their talents? I don't know if he was good, great or bad. I do know his program excelled. Their are teams that come through with a ton of talent and fail to win championships. Look at Londonderry Girls this year. Who is the better coach between the two?

Comment

Why wasn't he good? He got the most out of his talent. Was he a great motivator? Did he push his players to give him the most of their talents? I don't know if he was good, great or bad. I do know his program excelled. Their are teams that come through with a ton of talent and fail to win championships. Look at Londonderry Girls this year. Who is the better coach between the two?
        You'd have to understand Six-Pack Jack...

Comment

Don't disagree, but Londonderry has like 3 difference makers so one of them should've been able to step up, no? (I didn't see the game)
          Big time players need to step up and the Exeter striker did. Crickets from Londonderry.

I agree with other posters that team results can be successful based on a 1-2 superstars but they do need a base of decent players to support them. You couldn’t take the Exeter player and move her to SHS and expect them to start winning games. More competitive for sure but still not good.

Comment

Big time players need to step up and the Exeter striker did. Crickets from Londonderry.

I agree with other posters that team results can be successful based on a 1-2 superstars but they do need a base of decent players to support them. You couldn’t take the Exeter player and move her to SHS and expect them to start winning games. More competitive for sure but still not good.
            Not always - saw a team this year that had 2 super players and 1 decent player and that is it. They totally dominated.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X