Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Kids change majors on average 3 times before settling on one.
    https://borderzine.com/2013/03/colle...y-really-love/

An estimated 75 percent of students change their major at least once before graduation

Saying you need to attend a specific school because of a specific major/career choice is problematic given the statistics show a majority of students change majors and many don't work in their field of study. Sure some majors lead to very specific professional careers, but many do not. Your premise is wrong.

My kid currently wants to be a doctor. She can play soccer and has a > 4.0 GPA in an honors program. We have two kids, a retirement looming in less than 20 years and aren't wealthy though we make too much income to qualify for much financial aid. Guess what: she isn't going to the Ivy League. She isn't going to a NESCAC. She will go to either a state school with some athletic money or a private that offers athletic and merit money. Graduating with little to no debt for undergrad is more important than some name-brand diploma, especially given how expensive medical school is. Life is about finding compromises and trade-offs.

A good student will do well anywhere. Debt will follow you everywhere. And if my kid decides medicine isn't the career she wants, it's OK. She isn't in debt and won't have to make compromising choices or put her life on hold because of the cost of her undergrad degree.
    My kid is in engineering/architecture. No every school supports these studies. Medicine is more commonly supported.

Comment

My kid is in engineering/architecture. No every school supports these studies. Medicine is more commonly supported.
      Well my kid is a troll who posts drivel about majors and careers on a soccer site...

Go back to post #1 on the thread, don’t recall the OP asking about what major or career their kid should pursue.

Comment

Well my kid is a troll who posts drivel about majors and careers on a soccer site...

Go back to post #1 on the thread, don’t recall the OP asking about what major or career their kid should pursue.
        The post azzhole was in response to someone who found medicine in most schools and majors that were not.

Comment

The post azzhole was in response to someone who found medicine in most schools and majors that were not.
          Help me out, what does any of that have to do with soccer?

Comment

Help me out, what does any of that have to do with soccer?
            Rye-eet?!
            Some dude thinks he has equity dishing out college advice on Talking Soccer.
            It's in the name Dumas! we value - wait for it... SOCCER.
            we laugh at posers like you hanging out on a forum for parents of teenagers bragging about where your kid WENT (yeah, past tense) to college. It's time to move on Patty McGroin.

Comment

Rye-eet?!
              Some dude thinks he has equity dishing out college advice on Talking Soccer.
              It's in the name Dumas! we value - wait for it... SOCCER.
              we laugh at posers like you hanging out on a forum for parents of teenagers bragging about where your kid WENT (yeah, past tense) to college. It's time to move on Patty McGroin.
              The post was in response to this about areas of study when playing soccer and going to school on the side.

"Kids change majors on average 3 times before settling on one.
              https://borderzine.com/2013/03/colle...y-really-love/

An estimated 75 percent of students change their major at least once before graduation

Saying you need to attend a specific school because of a specific major/career choice is problematic given the statistics show a majority of students change majors and many don't work in their field of study. Sure some majors lead to very specific professional careers, but many do not. Your premise is wrong.

My kid currently wants to be a doctor. She can play soccer and has a > 4.0 GPA in an honors program. We have two kids, a retirement looming in less than 20 years and aren't wealthy though we make too much income to qualify for much financial aid. Guess what: she isn't going to the Ivy League. She isn't going to a NESCAC. She will go to either a state school with some athletic money or a private that offers athletic and merit money. Graduating with little to no debt for undergrad is more important than some name-brand diploma, especially given how expensive medical school is. Life is about finding compromises and trade-offs.

A good student will do well anywhere. Debt will follow you everywhere. And if my kid decides medicine isn't the career she wants, it's OK. She isn't in debt and won't have to make compromising choices or put her life on hold because of the cost of her undergrad degree."

Comment

Recruiting aged players should watch as many college games from the schools they are interested. You’ll learn a lot about the types of athletes, skills, pace, and overall team play. If you’re lucky you might even glean insight into the coach’s personality..... especially if he/she is one of those yelling types belittling their players. In terms of gauging, attend a few camps. 1 or 2 at the level you think they can play and 1-2 camps at schools a level below. Then get feedback. If you attend a cattle call camp with lots of different coaches from various levels, if a coach pulls you aside and gives you positive feedback in an enthusiastic way and higher level coaches ignore you, then that’s a good way to gauge level. Kind you, this is particularly true for 9th grade and up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X