Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academy - how much?

I know the quoted tuition but how much am I really out if I say yes to my daughter? She wants to play academy next year. Thinking of checking it out.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know the quoted tuition but how much am I really out if I say yes to my daughter? She wants to play academy next year. Thinking of checking it out.
    Tuition vs NPL is a wash.

First question: Do you do anything outside of your Club (i.e. futsal, ODP, extra training, etc.)? If so, calculate those costs to compare as they will likely go away.

Next question: Do you intend to travel to games (league games will run you into NJ and North; depending on the age you will have 2-3 showcases in FL, CO, and CA)?

So, that being said, last year I calculated our costs at a little under $12k. We (wife and I) attended everything - the showcases and all the games.

If you didn't attend the showcases (Seacoast arranges the travel [plane, hotel, meals] and the team travels together) and you pay them a fee, but you did attend the league games (a few hotels, gas) it came to just under $6k.

Some may have shaved maybe $1k off that as they would travel to some games by leaving very early in the morning.

In summary, I'd put it at between $5k-$12k.

Comment

Tuition vs NPL is a wash.

First question: Do you do anything outside of your Club (i.e. futsal, ODP, extra training, etc.)? If so, calculate those costs to compare as they will likely go away.

Next question: Do you intend to travel to games (league games will run you into NJ and North; depending on the age you will have 2-3 showcases in FL, CO, and CA)?

So, that being said, last year I calculated our costs at a little under $12k. We (wife and I) attended everything - the showcases and all the games.

If you didn't attend the showcases (Seacoast arranges the travel [plane, hotel, meals] and the team travels together) and you pay them a fee, but you did attend the league games (a few hotels, gas) it came to just under $6k.

Some may have shaved maybe $1k off that as they would travel to some games by leaving very early in the morning.

In summary, I'd put it at between $5k-$12k.
      Great info, thank you. That's expensive but a possibility. We spend only about $500 or so extra a year right now over tuition but I'd have to give some thought on sending her to showcases alone.

Comment

Great info, thank you. That's expensive but a possibility. We spend only about $500 or so extra a year right now over tuition but I'd have to give some thought on sending her to showcases alone.
        It's not cheap, that's for sure.

Re: the showcases. It was about a 50-50 split who goes and who doesn't. If you do go, you are responsible for your own travel. We flew out on different flights and stayed in different hotels. Other than the actual games, we never saw her. So, if you position it like a vacation it's more palatable.

As she gets older we anticipate going to them less and less.

Comment

It's not cheap, that's for sure.

Re: the showcases. It was about a 50-50 split who goes and who doesn't. If you do go, you are responsible for your own travel. We flew out on different flights and stayed in different hotels. Other than the actual games, we never saw her. So, if you position it like a vacation it's more palatable.

As she gets older we anticipate going to them less and less.
          As she gets older she will go to more, not less. They are useless until 10th grade

Comment

Ah, I see. So our presence wouldn't drastically change her showcase experience.

Thanks again.

Comment

As she gets older she will go to more, not less. They are useless until 10th grade
              I believe he means he and his spouse will go to fewer showcases, not his player.

Comment

Ah, I see. So our presence wouldn't drastically change her showcase experience.

Thanks again.

To the post above, I meant "WE" as in her parents. Basically, I've seen Denver enough...

To this, yes, it's a comfort level. Depending on age, it's a worthy consideration having your child half-way across the country. The team prefers you let the kids concentrate on the game so any activities are done collectively. Of course, they won't stop you from taking your kid for an afternoon, but I don't know of any who did. It's kind of understood you are welcome, but they are there to play soccer with their teammates.

Good luck. Not an easy decision and one we'll evaluate after each year. I'm not signing up for no 4-year contracts. There's a lot to consider.

Comment

Cost shouldn't be your only consideration - the number one thing is the quality of coaching and competition at all your options. Go for fit first, not the badge

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X