Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Ruined Sports

Youth sports in this country has been heading for the cliff for a long time. Ever since we have shifted from high school sports and unstructured play to pay out of your nose and every kid will be the next star club sport path this has been a long time coming.

Throw out football, because outside the US and Canada nobody plays that. Baseball the ratio of pro players from the Caribbean whose population is much smaller than the US have way out performed putting players in the big leagues than American born players. Hockey, we are still way behind the Canadians and Europeans. Even in Canada is starting to see a decline in players. Basketball it probably is only a matter of time. Fortunately access to it is much cheaper, and coaching is much better so no surprise we are still strong there.

We turned organized sports over to these mega clubs, and travel teams taking it away from the local communities and schools and this has not produced anything other than keep many kids away from sports. Even those that are playing are specializing in one sport at 10 and none of this has shown any benefit over the last 15-20 years; other than in the pocket books of those that run youth sports to the tune of a billion dollars a year.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Youth sports in this country has been heading for the cliff for a long time. Ever since we have shifted from high school sports and unstructured play to pay out of your nose and every kid will be the next star club sport path this has been a long time coming.

Throw out football, because outside the US and Canada nobody plays that. Baseball the ratio of pro players from the Caribbean whose population is much smaller than the US have way out performed putting players in the big leagues than American born players. Hockey, we are still way behind the Canadians and Europeans. Even in Canada is starting to see a decline in players. Basketball it probably is only a matter of time. Fortunately access to it is much cheaper, and coaching is much better so no surprise we are still strong there.

We turned organized sports over to these mega clubs, and travel teams taking it away from the local communities and schools and this has not produced anything other than keep many kids away from sports. Even those that are playing are specializing in one sport at 10 and none of this has shown any benefit over the last 15-20 years; other than in the pocket books of those that run youth sports to the tune of a billion dollars a year.
    Amen.

Comment

If you don't have your kid playing in a low cost local situation with lots of volunteer power, you are part of the problem. There are lots of customers for the high cost businesses which is why they exist.

Comment

If you don't have your kid playing in a low cost local situation with lots of volunteer power, you are part of the problem. There are lots of customers for the high cost businesses which is why they exist.
        Good volunteers are hard to come by (I've worked with plenty of groups, it's the same people over and over again helping out and they get burned out). Society has increasingly gotten lazy and self centered (what's in it for me? OMG I'm soooooo busy, can I write a check?).
        Plus, it's all good to tell your kid they should stay in the low cost program that sucks (because truthfully most do), but if they want more, have the skills and you can afford it you're going to pay.

The myth of college scholarships doesn't help matters either. In middle school young athletes with some degree of talent suddenly are thought to be "college material" (seems absurd but kids are getting recruited in 8th grade in some sports). The parent hysteria with clubs, private trainers and expensive gear ramps up exponentially. they're looking down the barrel of college costs they can't afford and are desperate for anything they can get. Statistics on the likelihood of a scholarship don't matter to them - my Jimmy is special :) . Blinders everywhere.

Comment

Good volunteers are hard to come by (I've worked with plenty of groups, it's the same people over and over again helping out and they get burned out). Society has increasingly gotten lazy and self centered (what's in it for me? OMG I'm soooooo busy, can I write a check?).
          Plus, it's all good to tell your kid they should stay in the low cost program that sucks (because truthfully most do), but if they want more, have the skills and you can afford it you're going to pay.

The myth of college scholarships doesn't help matters either. In middle school young athletes with some degree of talent suddenly are thought to be "college material" (seems absurd but kids are getting recruited in 8th grade in some sports). The parent hysteria with clubs, private trainers and expensive gear ramps up exponentially. they're looking down the barrel of college costs they can't afford and are desperate for anything they can get. Statistics on the likelihood of a scholarship don't matter to them - my Jimmy is special :) . Blinders everywhere.
          Lot of truth to what you say - but - it is not a myth about college scholarships. Our daughter is in her Junior year of H.S. Based on coaches feedback, she is a very good player - but not a national team player or anything. And we are stunned by the type of college offers she is getting. When the college is very interested they'll put together a "package" of aid that includes scholastic, athletic, and need-based aid and she would be able to attend a very high end private college for less than attending a State school just up the highway.

Granted, the myth may be how many kids actually see offers like this but in our experience there is the possibility of these offers. And that probably drives a lot of the hysteria.

Comment

Youth sports in this country is declining because of two reasons. First, is the amount of money involved for those who go professional are astronomically higher than in previous generations. This has added a lot more parents who dream of living vicariously thorugh their children and having their kids provide them with generational wealth (not to mention corruption on the sports provider side). Second, because kids have a lot more they can do with modern technology a lot fewer of them are spending time exercising and doing things outdoors. 20-30 years ago a lot of kids played and watched sports because it was the primary entertainment diversion for children. If you look at kids these days even television isn't the diversion it used to be. Every kid is on the internet and on their phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.

It's not just specialization. At least those kids are still playing something. When you have an increasing population and a decreasing number of kids playing sports (which includes travel, rec, school, etc) overall . . . . it's because fewer kids are playing sports and it's not all because of costs and opportunities. It's also because recent generations just aren't interested. The numbers don't lie. And surveys of children seem to support the statistics - it's a lack of interest.

Comment

Youth sports in this country is declining because of two reasons. First, is the amount of money involved for those who go professional are astronomically higher than in previous generations. This has added a lot more parents who dream of living vicariously thorugh their children and having their kids provide them with generational wealth (not to mention corruption on the sports provider side). Second, because kids have a lot more they can do with modern technology a lot fewer of them are spending time exercising and doing things outdoors. 20-30 years ago a lot of kids played and watched sports because it was the primary entertainment diversion for children. If you look at kids these days even television isn't the diversion it used to be. Every kid is on the internet and on their phones, tablets, game consoles, etc.

It's not just specialization. At least those kids are still playing something. When you have an increasing population and a decreasing number of kids playing sports (which includes travel, rec, school, etc) overall . . . . it's because fewer kids are playing sports and it's not all because of costs and opportunities. It's also because recent generations just aren't interested. The numbers don't lie. And surveys of children seem to support the statistics - it's a lack of interest.
              I have seen parents posting on social media "my kid has other interests besides sports and that's okay!" I don't think that many parents are trying to create generation wealth of their kid being the next super star. Most people get the slim chance of that happening if they do watch sports.

Comment

There could be some truth to that. When my daughter was little we did not buy, in part because we did not have a lot to spend at that time, on video game devices or even much beyond basic cable. We went to park a lot hit baseballs, kicked soccer balls. Now as she is older she has no interest in electronics really, doesn't even play with her phone much. However, she has done very well in soccer and other sports. Not saying that is or is not the best path but I think it had to be an influence.

Comment

I have seen parents posting on social media "my kid has other interests besides sports and that's okay!" I don't think that many parents are trying to create generation wealth of their kid being the next super star. Most people get the slim chance of that happening if they do watch sports.
                  For a kid who has parents that are struggling, a victory would be to get them into college via sports or academic scholarships if needed. That is the victory, put them on a path of success. Give them more than you had. If they are special players you will know it very early on. Otherwise, you are 1 of thousands. Choose wisely for your children's future. Don't be duped or conned by the club pitchmen. Focus on grades and it will all work out anyway. Bright futures is an awesome scholarship. Go for that first.

Comment

Not sure if any of you have ever thought about this one before. I have been an athletic director for years. I know the cost of youth sports for parents outside the school system is crazy. However, in my opinion, it is worse that your tax dollars go towards paying for high school football. Many school districts pay a teacher’s salary to individuals to coach football. They have minimal teaching responsibilities. Many schools also pay for a speed, strength and conditioning coach, which basically goes towards the football program for all year weight training. Most large schools have full-time athletic trainers specifically assigned to the football team. Thousands of dollars just in salaries for hs football. At a minimum it costs $40,000 each year to replace helmets, pads and uniforms. Reconditioning football equipment is mandatory. For schools that offer football from 9th to 12th grade, you are looking at over $200,000 for uniforms and uniform maintenance. The players also get free weight room, turf field and other equipment. Boys 14 to 18 get all of that for free. It’s kind of like they beat the pay for play system….but we all pay for it.

For the top football players, they never pay anything in HS, then free college and on for the NFL without very little out of pocket money being spent. The system works well for the NFL American Football. One massive DA being paid for by the tax payers.

Comment

Granted, the myth may be how many kids actually see offers like this but in our experience there is the possibility of these offers. And that probably drives a lot of the hysteria.
                      There is a lot of hysteria around college admissions in general, let alone around scholarships.

Take sports out of consideration for college admissions and the athletic landscape would change pretty dramatically.

Comment

There is a lot of hysteria around college admissions in general, let alone around scholarships.

Take sports out of consideration for college admissions and the athletic landscape would change pretty dramatically.

The scholarship thing for women soccer players is interesting. Title (insert proper roman numeral here cause I'm too lazy to look it up) requires equal money for girls sports or something like that. So to keep up with the spending on the big college sports, girls soccer gets a boost in college and scholarships really are there. Unfortunately, you have to play soccer in college to get the money (many players sitting the bench), I wonder with the time you have to spend paying and playing to get there, and then the time you spend in college, you could have gotten the same result working, maybe more money working. Soccer is fun and all, but for the large majority it ends after college, and you've spent so much time doing something that you can never really use in life (I don't care what anyone says, it won't create the people skills that other jobs will create), it just seems like a lot has been given up to do so much of it. When all along, if you enjoy soccer, you could play rec and at school. I get it for those who really love it, and every parent says their players really love it, but I often get the feeling the parents are driving it and the kids would be happy doing any number of things with other kids.

Comment

The scholarship thing for women soccer players is interesting. Title (insert proper roman numeral here cause I'm too lazy to look it up) requires equal money for girls sports or something like that. So to keep up with the spending on the big college sports, girls soccer gets a boost in college and scholarships really are there. Unfortunately, you have to play soccer in college to get the money (many players sitting the bench), I wonder with the time you have to spend paying and playing to get there, and then the time you spend in college, you could have gotten the same result working, maybe more money working. Soccer is fun and all, but for the large majority it ends after college, and you've spent so much time doing something that you can never really use in life (I don't care what anyone says, it won't create the people skills that other jobs will create), it just seems like a lot has been given up to do so much of it. When all along, if you enjoy soccer, you could play rec and at school. I get it for those who really love it, and every parent says their players really love it, but I often get the feeling the parents are driving it and the kids would be happy doing any number of things with other kids.
                          I think most parents figure out pretty quickly that cost to play soccer will far exceed any money their kid might receive in athletic scholarships. It really goes towards the trophy kid mentality at that point, and most of us are guilty of this to some degree; others maybe more more so, those less so probably do not go on talking soccer.
                          That college commit is the final prize after all the trophies and medals that parents often care more about than our kids do. The quest to say my daughter has committed to play at such and such university or college. That is why we drive around the state, fly across the country for. Spending all that money and our weekends often around some other parents we can't even stand to be around.
                          It is really an individual endeavor played out in a team game. It is no wonder the kids often want to play HS soccer, maybe the quality of play is not the same, but the quality of the team and the environment is often much greater. For the parents though, it has no value because it will not help them on their quest.

Comment

Most club soccer families are middle to upper income and are focused on education. If soccer or another sport or music or juggling puts their kid ahead of another applicant at a highly competitive school then it's all worth it. Getting money is icing on an all ready delicious cake

Comment

Lighten up Francis. Tens of millions of U.S. kids have fun, get exercise, and learn teamwork playing youth sports. Don't be so overdramatic.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X