Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Also, this is not really licensing. A true professional license is issued by an authority, to allow an activity that would otherwise be forbidden. US Soccer is a private company and has no authority to prevent anyone from coaching soccer. A state issued medical license allows licensees to practice medicine, but the state has the power to prevent anyone without a license to practice medicine. Teaching is the same. It is a shame that anyone with a weekend course can coach children and after 30 days of participation in various courses - where they actually play soccer most of the time instead of learning how to coach - some people can make significant amount of money without any quality assurance, supervision, evaluation or standards. Imagine if these standards would apply to our schools.
    That's a distortion. I took the weekend course and got my license. My kids win consistently. All I get is a stipend. I don't think I'm worth much more than that because I lack a solid resume of playing experience. I guess I could make a low salary at it if I left my full time job. But I'm confident I make more $$$ than my DOC. I'm just trying to say that it isn't a gravy train like people make it sound. And it's not a wonder that good coaches are hard to find and expensive given how they are regarded.

Comment

That's a distortion. I took the weekend course and got my license. My kids win consistently. All I get is a stipend. I don't think I'm worth much more than that because I lack a solid resume of playing experience. I guess I could make a low salary at it if I left my full time job. But I'm confident I make more $$$ than my DOC. I'm just trying to say that it isn't a gravy train like people make it sound. And it's not a wonder that good coaches are hard to find and expensive given how they are regarded.
      the people making money in club soccer are the owners, not the coaches. Most coaches have other jobs, usually ones that give them some flexibility like teaching, school counselors, or I know one who is a self employed accountant. At a minimum they coach multiple teams, spreading themselves too thin. Check out what car your club owner drives vs the coaches.

Comment

Have any of you taken the course for an A or B license? The B course is a 10 day process. The A license takes about a year to get. These courses are exspensive, and unless the course is being offered in your town, you must travel, sometimes far. An A or a B license should be respected. For these coaches who make peanuts ($1000-$1500 a month) to take the time and spend the money to acquire them shows they are dedicated.

Comment

Have any of you taken the course for an A or B license? The B course is a 10 day process. The A license takes about a year to get. These courses are exspensive, and unless the course is being offered in your town, you must travel, sometimes far. An A or a B license should be respected. For these coaches who make peanuts ($1000-$1500 a month) to take the time and spend the money to acquire them shows they are dedicated.
          These coaches don't spend their own dollars. My club (I live in the Tampa Bay area)reimbursed my expenses. It did not cost me a dime, just my time.

Comment

These coaches don't spend their own dollars. My club (I live in the Tampa Bay area)reimbursed my expenses. It did not cost me a dime, just my time.
            Good for you. It just isn't the same everywhere else. They (USSF) have classes during the season? Really? We need to ask our club, ask again, pay for it, hope we get reimbursed and then still not get promoted. Rigged for $. It's just not worth it.

Comment

Good for you. It just isn't the same everywhere else. They (USSF) have classes during the season? Really? We need to ask our club, ask again, pay for it, hope we get reimbursed and then still not get promoted. Rigged for $. It's just not worth it.
              People on here just posted that coaches with higher licenses are in short supply and thus in more of a demand and get paid more salary. They would also be revered more by their clients for their distinguished credentials.

Comment

1. Promoted?? How is that USSF fault?
                2. Rigged for $? Do you think the club is getting a kickback?

Comment

It should be a process. There should be some commitment in order to achieve the higher level certification. It takes some time, hopefully, to learn and comprehend what is required to be a high level coach.

It should not be a financial hardship for motivated coaches to educate themselves.

Comment

It should be a process. There should be some commitment in order to achieve the higher level certification. It takes some time, hopefully, to learn and comprehend what is required to be a high level coach.

It should not be a financial hardship for motivated coaches to educate themselves.
                    I agree. The A & B licenses are hard to attain, as the should be.

Some clubs will pay for the licenses, but not all. But these parents can't have it both ways, bitching about the coaching and bitching about the costs. But that opens another topic...the pay to play.

Comment

People on here just posted that coaches with higher licenses are in short supply and thus in more of a demand and get paid more salary. They would also be revered more by their clients for their distinguished credentials.
                      Which is why clubs should make it more feasible for them to attain - help at least some with cost and time. If a club can charge each player $200 more for a higher level coach the payback is pretty quick. Clubs are very shortsighted in this regard, but most of them are soccer guys not MBAs

Comment

but most of them are soccer guys not MBAs

BINGO!!!

Comment

Which is why clubs should make it more feasible for them to attain - help at least some with cost and time. If a club can charge each player $200 more for a higher level coach the payback is pretty quick. Clubs are very shortsighted in this regard, but most of them are soccer guys not MBAs
                          It only takes common sense! The clubs should reimburse the coach for the cost of the course if the coach stays around to coach for a year contract.

Comment

Are football, basketball, hockey, lacrosse coaches licensed? Not sure, but I do not think so.

Comment

1. Promoted?? How is that USSF fault?
                              2. Rigged for $? Do you think the club is getting a kickback?
                              Yes jackass, promoted where coaches aren't paid minimum wage. 2. USSF have inflated the license with marketing to all clubs especially Da clubs. 3. Rigged to profit both Club and USSF, look at their budget you will sh%t. 4. Clubs get sponsored so yes for a kickback. Its a terrible business for wealthy kids and USSF has been exploiting it for how long? Look at the FIFA corruption.

Comment

Are football, basketball, hockey, lacrosse coaches licensed? Not sure, but I do not think so.
                                I have kids that all play different sports, including the three that you mentioned. Unfortunately, you can't compare across the different sports. You really can't. They are all so different.

Baseball might be the closest comparison because it's a fine detail skill sport like soccer. The difference on a national level with baseball is this...the youth development is great in our country because we have so many coaches that played the game at a fairly high levels. They teach, train, coach the young players. Also, once the elite players reach 18...they aren't handed over to a subpar competitive environment. College baseball is minor league pro level competition basically. They play in very competitive summer leagues with pro coaches as well. Some high level baseball prospects skip college and go straight to pro organizations.

I feel like hokey has a similar type set up, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X