Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some veterans are in support of the kneeling players and some are not. Veterans are an enormous group and they have many different opinions.

Kneeling was never a protest about military service in any way. To you the anthem may be about military service but to another person the anthem is about other aspects of being an American. One hundred folks hearing the anthem will have a hundred different thoughts in their heads.
    I am a veteran. 21 years US Navy. Do I support their 'right' to protest? 100%. Do I agree with the method of the protest? 0%.

But, are they protesting the military and our veterans? Are they protesting the flag? The song? The president? BLM? Civil rights? Who knows? The messages are so spread out and inconsistent, that we are arguing the method of the protest versus the actual thing they are protesting, whatever that may be.

Comment

I am a veteran. 21 years US Navy. Do I support their 'right' to protest? 100%. Do I agree with the method of the protest? 0%.

But, are they protesting the military and our veterans? Are they protesting the flag? The song? The president? BLM? Civil rights? Who knows? The messages are so spread out and inconsistent, that we are arguing the method of the protest versus the actual thing they are protesting, whatever that may be.
      Racial injustice. The pledge is not the anthem but "liberty and justice for all" remains an unrealized ideal. These athletes have a highly visible platform and choose to use it to make a point.

Maybe they will allowed to continue and maybe not. The sons of bitches comment obviously ramped up the entire exercise as intended.

Comment

Racial injustice. The pledge is not the anthem but "liberty and justice for all" remains an unrealized ideal. These athletes have a highly visible platform and choose to use it to make a point.

Maybe they will allowed to continue and maybe not. The sons of bitches comment obviously ramped up the entire exercise as intended.
        Yeah Trump's comment blew it all up and made people say Go Ahead And Kneel to show our President is ignorant and insensitive with his spoken words.

Comment

Better to have him distracted with golfing and churning about football and leave the adults in the room free to tackle crisis after crisis after crisis.

Comment

See right there. Mixed message. Not critiquing your response, but the NFL players are protesting the National Anthem. You are quoting the Pledge of Allegiance. Two completely different things.

Yes, they are making a point on a big stage. You say "racial injustice." Great. Racial injustice it is. Not what others have told me, but let's run with it. So besides kneeling at the National Anthem and the attention it brings, what do these players want me to know about racial injustice? I haven't seen anything. None of them have made a separate statement. There are no articles online or in the paper or sports magazines. All I keep seeing is how the players are pissed that they are being told not to kneel. OK, we get it. Move on. What is your message? There isn't one.

Comment

Yeah Trump's comment blew it all up and made people say Go Ahead And Kneel to show our President is ignorant and insensitive with his spoken words.
              Black lives matter and everything surrounding it is based on false stories (Hands up, don't shoot- a 100% lie! for example yet morons like Lebron James still believe it) AND IT HAS LED TO COPS BEING MURDERED.

Trump spoke for many Americans who realize that forces are at work to divide this country and the fools in the NFL are ignorant pawns. More cops will die because of them. And no one in black communities will step up and tell the Michael Brown's of the world to smarten' up. They simple blame someone else. It's Trump, It's the cops. Nope. Look in the mirror folks. It's you!

'Son's of bitches' was being kind. They are getting cops killed.

Comment

See right there. Mixed message. Not critiquing your response, but the NFL players are protesting the National Anthem. You are quoting the Pledge of Allegiance. Two completely different things.

Yes, they are making a point on a big stage. You say "racial injustice." Great. Racial injustice it is. Not what others have told me, but let's run with it. So besides kneeling at the National Anthem and the attention it brings, what do these players want me to know about racial injustice? I haven't seen anything. None of them have made a separate statement. There are no articles online or in the paper or sports magazines. All I keep seeing is how the players are pissed that they are being told not to kneel. OK, we get it. Move on. What is your message? There isn't one.
                OK fine. "Land of the free" is still as unrealized ideal for many suffering from discrimination. Many agree with that and many disagree.

The kneeling (which was adopted after the initial sitting posture as a way to protest with respect), has sparked this discussion and many others.

Comment

OK fine. "Land of the free" is still as unrealized ideal for many suffering from discrimination. Many agree with that and many disagree.

The kneeling (which was adopted after the initial sitting posture as a way to protest with respect), has sparked this discussion and many others.
                  I get your overall meaning. I wasn't trying to be picky, just proving a point about mixed messages.

But referring to "Land of the Free," if that is the main point of the protest for racial equality, or the lack thereof, exactly who are they protesting for? Do the players feel neglected? Are they representing a certain community that is somehow "enslaved" within the confines of America? What is the message?

Comment

I get your overall meaning. I wasn't trying to be picky, just proving a point about mixed messages.

But referring to "Land of the Free," if that is the main point of the protest for racial equality, or the lack thereof, exactly who are they protesting for? Do the players feel neglected? Are they representing a certain community that is somehow "enslaved" within the confines of America? What is the message?
                    I am sure you are capable at making an attempt to explain their point of view. Not saying you would agree, but pretending you don't know what racial discrimination mmeans is disingenuous.

Comment

Took all of 90 seconds to start to find answer to your question.

49ers strong safety Eric Reid penned an op-ed in the New York Times Monday afternoon, in which he describes why he and Colin Kaepernick decided to take a knee for the national anthem last year.

In the post, Reid says that the killing of Alton Sterling in Reid’s hometown of Baton Rouge disturbed him, and brought him to tears. A few weeks later, Kaepernick sat during the national anthem, and once Kaepernick started facing backlash, Reid says his faith moved him to join Kaepernick.

Here’s part of what Reid wrote:

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag, and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

Comment

I am sure you are capable at making an attempt to explain their point of view. Not saying you would agree, but pretending you don't know what racial discrimination mmeans is disingenuous.
                        Never said that. You are assuming and putting your opinion into mine. That is disingenuous.

Comment

Took all of 90 seconds to start to find answer to your question.

49ers strong safety Eric Reid penned an op-ed in the New York Times Monday afternoon, in which he describes why he and Colin Kaepernick decided to take a knee for the national anthem last year.

In the post, Reid says that the killing of Alton Sterling in Reid’s hometown of Baton Rouge disturbed him, and brought him to tears. A few weeks later, Kaepernick sat during the national anthem, and once Kaepernick started facing backlash, Reid says his faith moved him to join Kaepernick.

Here’s part of what Reid wrote:

I approached Colin the Saturday before our next game to discuss how I could get involved with the cause but also how we could make a more powerful and positive impact on the social justice movement. We spoke at length about many of the issues that face our community, including systemic oppression against people of color, police brutality and the criminal justice system. We also discussed how we could use our platform, provided to us by being professional athletes in the N.F.L., to speak for those who are voiceless.

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag, and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.
                          The NYT article explains at length their method of the protest (kneeling), not the actions they are taking to eradicate their opinion of racial issues.

Comment

The NYT article explains at length their method of the protest (kneeling), not the actions they are taking to eradicate their opinion of racial issues.
                            If you think all is fine and dandy then go about your business or focus on the issues you feel need attention.

If you would like take any action to decrease instances of police discriminatory action affecting dark skinned poor people then you might vote about it, or write letters about it, or talk about it, or donate money to an organization dedicated to decreasing it, or bother to think about some action you could take to contribute, etc., etc.

You are not helplessly fated to sit mystified on a chat forum about what to do, what to do. Do something or do nothing. Make up your own mind.

Comment

You are thick

Comment

If you think all is fine and dandy then go about your business or focus on the issues you feel need attention.

If you would like take any action to decrease instances of police discriminatory action affecting dark skinned poor people then you might vote about it, or write letters about it, or talk about it, or donate money to an organization dedicated to decreasing it, or bother to think about some action you could take to contribute, etc., etc.

You are not helplessly fated to sit mystified on a chat forum about what to do, what to do. Do something or do nothing. Make up your own mind.
                                The discussion is not what I need to do or what you need to tell me to do. The discussion is what are all of these NFL protestors doing besides taking a knee? Just as you posted, you are guessing what the message is. Interpret as you need, but my point is proven.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X