• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do these even exist???
    every player was Raw when they started- so yes they do exist

Comment

Do these even exist???
      kids like that? They do - seen the raw to good and good to great progression myself, and have seen the rare kid that people will come out to watch.

Comment

kids like that? They do - seen the raw to good and good to great progression myself, and have seen the rare kid that people will come out to watch.
        Not in this state...

Comment

Not in this state...
          sure they do.

Comment

You describe development as winning. You describe enjoyment as winning. You describe success as winning. Your peers are jealous of your winning. Parents want to send their kids to you because of winning.

Every single thing you have described involves winning. Except when tested in low level tournaments, where you do not win.

Winning in a trash league is still trash.

How many of your pupils have had successes at higher levels, the highest levels, of the game? Have stayed in the game, and taught those skills to their younger peers?

Have you turned a raw player into a good player? A medium player to a great player...a player who people come to watch?
            OP Here: No, and you're making my point. I've turned raw kids plucked from a city league rec team where I volunteer to the point where they made our "elite" team. But I haven't brought them farther due to the simple fact that I don't coach at the higher level. You're right, winning in the "trash league" isn't as good as winning at the higher leagues. But how can I know what I can do at the higher leagues if I don't try it? Maybe I can train the kids well enough. I don't see them often enough to really know, and when they get really good, they leave to a "better" team. So no, I haven't trained any Olympic Hopefuls, nor do I know if I could. I would like to know what I am capable of, I feel topped out.

Comment

'Accepted standards of the Talking Soccer community' might just be the funniest post ever.
              The only thing right about this website is its name...
              OP here: Thanks. I was trying to be funny. People try to read between the lines and come up with conclusions counter to what the author is saying rather than just accepting the premise. I'm a good coach. I train my kids well. We win games. From these statements people conclude that I am not a good coach because my focus is too much on winning games and I must not be training my kids enough and I am neglecting some. It's funny. Perhaps the truth lies in the statements I am actually making. Maybe I am a good coach because I train kids well at the rec level and subsequently we win. And maybe I'd like a bigger challenge but I'm concerned that I won't be accepted. Honestly, it sounds like I would not be accepted, so perhaps I'm better where I'm at.

Comment

OP here: Thanks. I was trying to be funny. People try to read between the lines and come up with conclusions counter to what the author is saying rather than just accepting the premise. I'm a good coach. I train my kids well. We win games. From these statements people conclude that I am not a good coach because my focus is too much on winning games and I must not be training my kids enough and I am neglecting some. It's funny. Perhaps the truth lies in the statements I am actually making. Maybe I am a good coach because I train kids well at the rec level and subsequently we win. And maybe I'd like a bigger challenge but I'm concerned that I won't be accepted. Honestly, it sounds like I would not be accepted, so perhaps I'm better where I'm at.
                1. Do the kids love the game EVEN MORE after playing for you?
                2. Do the kids remain in the game, maybe even coaching later on?
                3. Do the kids improve?

you do those 3 things and you're fine. There's far too many people here that worry about the 1% superstar kids and not enough about the other 99% that play the game because it's fun and they love it. That's the primary audience in any youth sport, the 1% will be taken care of without our worrying about them.

Comment

You can be a perfectly fine coach if the kids are having fun and they are learning.

The benchmark constantly being used is "we win", and that separates it.

In no sport at a youth level should "we win" be the measure of success.

I still haven't heard how the kids learn their coerver skills, other than from each other. Maybe FIFA 18?

Comment

The inability of people to separate Development (which is the point at anything less than 15 years old IMO) and Winning really is amazing, especially since so many people claim to understand which is important.

It doesn't matter if you construct teams that win. What matters is that the players are learning the things that will enable them to do well later on, when physical differences get smaller and the games change from contests of size and speed to those of organization and thinking.

Parents yelling from the sidelines about kids taking risks drives me nuts. I have told my kid repeatedly, I would rather see you make some mistakes and take a few risks or try to be creative than always doing the conservative play. Just learn from each mistake but do not stop trying. Learn new ways to figure out the problems, do not spend your games avoiding them.

If a coach is hung up on the Ws and Ls, and cant even demonstrate technical skills, I can't see them being a very good youth sports coach.

Comment

I coached coed rec soccer for years. Never lost a game. Seriously.

Thinking of applying for a CFC coaching gig.

Comment

You can be a perfectly fine coach if the kids are having fun and they are learning.

The benchmark constantly being used is "we win", and that separates it.

In no sport at a youth level should "we win" be the measure of success.

I still haven't heard how the kids learn their coerver skills, other than from each other. Maybe FIFA 18?
                        OP here: You didn't hear about them because I didn't mention it, so you're jumping to conclusions. Actually I use them as part (but not all) of the warm up because they are economical in the manner that they are useful for conditioning, foot skills and warmup. Do rapid toe-taps or step-overs and you'll see what I mean. Lots of touches, aerobic, and gets the blood pumping.

It cracks me up how people assume the worst. It invalidates any useful advice I can get here because people assume things that aren't mentioned instead of what is mentioned. And those assumptions color their thoughts too much to give good advice because they creating a new reality.

Best advice I've gotten here is to make sure the kids have fun. I always do that. I keep it fun so that they don't skip practices, which helps them develop, which helps our team do better as a whole (which is apparently a bad thing).

Comment

OP Here: No, and you're making my point. I've turned raw kids plucked from a city league rec team where I volunteer to the point where they made our "elite" team. But I haven't brought them farther due to the simple fact that I don't coach at the higher level. You're right, winning in the "trash league" isn't as good as winning at the higher leagues. But how can I know what I can do at the higher leagues if I don't try it? Maybe I can train the kids well enough. I don't see them often enough to really know, and when they get really good, they leave to a "better" team. So no, I haven't trained any Olympic Hopefuls, nor do I know if I could. I would like to know what I am capable of, I feel topped out.
                          "Raw kids plucked from a city league...."

Nearly snorted my milk on that line.

Dude, you didn't turn anyone into anything. That's their achievement.

Comment

I haven't a clue as to the quality of coach you are, but it's clear you are a legend in your own mind.

A vain little 'cuss, aren't you?

Comment

OP here: You didn't hear about them because I didn't mention it, so you're jumping to conclusions. Actually I use them as part (but not all) of the warm up because they are economical in the manner that they are useful for conditioning, foot skills and warmup. Do rapid toe-taps or step-overs and you'll see what I mean. Lots of touches, aerobic, and gets the blood pumping.

It cracks me up how people assume the worst. It invalidates any useful advice I can get here because people assume things that aren't mentioned instead of what is mentioned. And those assumptions color their thoughts too much to give good advice because they creating a new reality.

Best advice I've gotten here is to make sure the kids have fun. I always do that. I keep it fun so that they don't skip practices, which helps them develop, which helps our team do better as a whole (which is apparently a bad thing).

As you continue this dialogue, I thought it appropriate to provide you the song that should be in the background....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6UAYGxiRwU

Comment

"Raw kids plucked from a city league...."

Nearly snorted my milk on that line.

Dude, you didn't turn anyone into anything. That's their achievement.
                                That's the old unicorn theory used by the 'soccer is too expensive' crowd.
                                Those raw kids probably kicked a ball with family since they were 2 yr old

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X