Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daddy Coach is not a troll

If you pay attention here, you might even realize I've posted here before. I'm not from there.

I have a serious question and I swear I'm not a troll. My club has three levels of soccer. A Rec level, an advanced Rec level (some would call it "Rec Plus") and the Elite/Premier Level.

I coach a team in the middle. We are sort of like a select rec program without travel.

Here's the question. I've got two strikes against me because I'm a Daddy Coach, and I never actually played soccer. So yeah...I can't juggle. I'm not great at kicking the ball either. I'm an older guy too, which doesn't help.

Again, I promise I'm serious here. I've been coaching for several years. And I've diligently tried to improve my skills as a coach. I have a license and a couple certificates.

For the last 2 years (and now working on my third year), I've been very successful working with my teams which run the range from U12 to U15s. In my middle bracket, I have coached my kids to a lot of wins. I know it's all about development, but my teams tend to be older and in this middle tier, most parents and kids want to see wins.

No kidding now, I've figured out that in the last two years, my teams have won over 90% of their games in the local area. If we want to lose, we have to enter an elite/premier tournament.

But the problem is that this is my resume.

Should I try to move up? Would you, as parents, accept a coach at the Elite/Premier that had that kind of win/loss record without experience playing the game? (I'm serious). I estimate my team(s) have lost only 5 games in about 50 played.

Really not a troll. What do you think? My youngest kid is outgrowing the team, and that's the last of my kids in youth soccer. Trying to decide what to do next.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
Working...
X