• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well said

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Here are a few thoughts....coming from a former D3 player

1. If you aren't going pro then it doesn't matter.
      2. If your desire is to get on the field and play soccer then it is more likely to happen in D3 unless your kid was some kind of super-stat in high school
      3. D1 scholarships are few and far between and range from full to a couple of thousand and no more than 8-10 in the best soccer programs. This isn't college football, basketball, hockey or baseball......actually, hockey kids are entering at all ages with varying degrees of pro and semi-pro agreements to be fulfilled after college.
      4. D1 school rosters include 10-40% of foreign students to further add to the competition for play time.
      5. If you are desperate for money then you are better off considering merit scholarships.

To those who state that D1 is tops and the rest are intramural....well...you are an arrogant snob....but to give you a better answer that you might even be able to understand....
      A (not the only) value of playing varsity soccer in collage is that the coach may help your kid get into a school that was considered a reach-school.....which is not a bad thing.
      Otherwise the level of play at the better half of D3 colleges is very very good....even excellent. However, to those snobs, you might have to get off your ass and go watch a game.
      Op here - thanks for your thoughts. In the end it's about academic fit for her (yeah! as a parent that's what you want to hear) followed by soccer. She's getting close to deciding but I am very happy with the great options that she has. She's our first athlete and it's definitely a more complicated decision making process.

Comment

Here are a few thoughts....coming from a former D3 player

1. If you aren't going pro then it doesn't matter.
        2. If your desire is to get on the field and play soccer then it is more likely to happen in D3 unless your kid was some kind of super-stat in high school
        3. D1 scholarships are few and far between and range from full to a couple of thousand and no more than 8-10 in the best soccer programs. This isn't college football, basketball, hockey or baseball......actually, hockey kids are entering at all ages with varying degrees of pro and semi-pro agreements to be fulfilled after college.
        4. D1 school rosters include 10-40% of foreign students to further add to the competition for play time.
        5. If you are desperate for money then you are better off considering merit scholarships.

To those who state that D1 is tops and the rest are intramural....well...you are an arrogant snob....but to give you a better answer that you might even be able to understand....
        A (not the only) value of playing varsity soccer in collage is that the coach may help your kid get into a school that was considered a reach-school.....which is not a bad thing.
        Otherwise the level of play at the better half of D3 colleges is very very good....even excellent. However, to those snobs, you might have to get off your ass and go watch a game.
        Anyone who has played in college at any level, at least in New England, know that this poster is 100% correct. Well said.

Comment

Op here - thanks for your thoughts. In the end it's about academic fit for her (yeah! as a parent that's what you want to hear) followed by soccer. She's getting close to deciding but I am very happy with the great options that she has. She's our first athlete and it's definitely a more complicated decision making process.
          Can you provide some insight as to what level/league your D currently plays at?

Comment

Poster 15 here....
            Good luck to your child.
            I have already had one go through this. It was very enlightening. We started visiting schools before his Junior year. We visited D1 and D2 schools first. Only one (a D1 coach) of those coaches was able to provide me with answers about the schools academics and what the school and alumni do to help kids in four years to get jobs or into grad programs.
            The next spring/summer we got lots of calls from D3 coaches from strong academic schools. These coaches were right on the ball with the answers and how the athletes are monitored and corralled if their grades are slipping. We got a strong impression from the coaches that the kids and coaches knew the priority for looking at their schools. In fact, three of the specifically stated it.
            My child had selected his school by the middle of August his senior year and has been ecstatic with his choice.

My only advice is to ask as many questions as you can. It is a lot of time and effort that should not be wasted just to play soccer......

but this is my opinion and one from someone who played D3 ball.

Comment

Anyone who has played in college at any level, at least in New England, know that this poster is 100% correct. Well said.
              show me a d1 program that has 10% foreign players and I'll show you a losing team. Average on top d1 is more like 50%. You are all dreaming. #D3 for Me

Comment

It's not as prevalent in D1 as some think. Most rosters will have maybe 4-8 our of 30. So yes it's a factor but varies a lot by school. Some definitely will have more. Schools with better academics tend to have fewer. D2 has tons of them; I've seen rosters with 15+ foreign players.

UNC currently #1 6 of 37 players international (one Canadian, does that really count?)
                #2 Wake Forest = 3 players
                #5 Notre Dame=3 players
                #7 U of Indiana = 1 player
                #12 Georgetown = 2 players
                #16 Stanford = 2 players

Comment

It's not as prevalent in D1 as some think. Most rosters will have maybe 4-8 our of 30. So yes it's a factor but varies a lot by school. Some definitely will have more. Schools with better academics tend to have fewer. D2 has tons of them; I've seen rosters with 15+ foreign players.

UNC currently #1 6 of 37 players international (one Canadian, does that really count?)
                  #2 Wake Forest = 3 players
                  #5 Notre Dame=3 players
                  #7 U of Indiana = 1 player
                  #12 Georgetown = 2 players
                  #16 Stanford = 2 players

Interesting thing about D2 is that Foreigners who might not be good enough soccer-wise or academically see D2 soccer as a way into the country. Many, after a year or two, transfer out to another school or elsewhere.

Comment

Interesting thing about D2 is that Foreigners who might not be good enough soccer-wise or academically see D2 soccer as a way into the country. Many, after a year or two, transfer out to another school or elsewhere.
                    I think academics has more to do with it. It isn't easy to keep up with a demanding academic program as a D1athlete, but even more challenging if English isn't your first language. Those schools listed above don't need to bend their standards to get good players.

Comment

woah - I picked the #1 team by region for D2 programs

#1 Charleston WV - one U.S. player
                      #1 Northeastern State Univ - 4 internationals players but it's in OK. Probably a tough sell
                      #1 Long Island Post - 24 internationals on a giant roster of 35+
                      #1 Ohio Valley Univ - all but 3 Americans are from overseas
                      #1 Midwestern State University - 11 internationals*
                      #1 Palm Beach Atlantic - 22 internationals
                      #1 Young Harris - 4 but also in the middle of nowhere
                      #1 California Baptist - 5 international players (Baptist religious school can't be appealing)

Check out this guy. Think h'es 22ish? http://www.msumustangs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5907

Comment

woah - I picked the #1 team by region for D2 programs

#1 Charleston WV - one U.S. player
                        #1 Northeastern State Univ - 4 internationals players but it's in OK. Probably a tough sell
                        #1 Long Island Post - 24 internationals on a giant roster of 35+
                        #1 Ohio Valley Univ - all but 3 Americans are from overseas
                        #1 Midwestern State University - 11 internationals*
                        #1 Palm Beach Atlantic - 22 internationals
                        #1 Young Harris - 4 but also in the middle of nowhere
                        #1 California Baptist - 5 international players (Baptist religious school can't be appealing)

Check out this guy. Think h'es 22ish? http://www.msumustangs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5907
                        I wonder how many times he gets asked if his son is on the team?

Comment

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X