PDP is worthless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so if my kid is a good player, but not a great player, does he have any prayer of getting into this or am I wasting everyone's time bringing him to tryouts?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2117505]You have to be chosen. The rest is paid training. Very good training, but it costs. Was worth it for us. My kid improved a lot (along with work on his own) and was able to move up to a higher level team. We didn't do it for talent ID, just better training. Website info states:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful and good to know your son got some value out of it. Glad it worked out well for him

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        so if my kid is a good player, but not a great player, does he have any prayer of getting into this or am I wasting everyone's time bringing him to tryouts?
        If he wants to tryout then it is not a waste of time. I took my son there and he did not make it. Now he is even more determined to work to improve and come back for the next tryout.

Comment

You never know until he tries. Like the poster above it may motivate him more plus give you a different perspective

Comment

You never know until he tries. Like the poster above it may motivate him more plus give you a different perspective
            Thank you, these are all good points. When/where is the next one? Am I correct in assuming that a club sponsors these events? Which club sponsored the Wallingford one?

Comment

Thank you, these are all good points. When/where is the next one? Am I correct in assuming that a club sponsors these events? Which club sponsored the Wallingford one?
              Here is the website. Keep checking back for details on winter tryout. I am sure if you emailed them they would let you know when tryouts are. Best of luck to your son!!

https://www.nyclubsoccerleague.com/h...excellence.asp

Comment

At what point does PDP become free? Why is this one charging a fee? Not complaining. Just trying to understand the program which I think offers excellent opportunity for quality training. I think JC is awesome!!
                People are confusing PDP and Center of Excellence, which is an additional training program offered by PDP.

The PDP program is a once a month training session that is free. Through those training sessions, the Select Squad is chosen. Select Squad plays tournaments, does the international trips, has residential training camps in the the Summer and sends kids to ID2 (these events are not always free). You can't try out for PDP or the Select Squad. You have to be recommended by your DOC or "voted in" by opposing league coaches. Every game, coaches from both teams record one player of the game from their team and 2 players of the game from the opposing team. If multiple coaches from opposing teams are recording you as pog, you will most likely get invited regardless of DOC recommend. PDP continually evaluates the kids and if your "numbers" fall below a certain point or continually decrease month after month, you will be dropped from the program.

Center of Excellence is an additional training program, which is open to a greater number of kids, is more tryout based and is not free. If a kid is a member of the Select Squad or a frequent attendee of PDP monthly training, they do not tryout-they are automatically accepted to the training sessions. Your DOC can also recommend you for this program or you can just show up to tryouts. The process is less selective than PDP, but the training is still good. I have seen kids (not many, but 1 or 2) who just showed up to tryouts of Center of Excellence, end up a year later on the Select Squad.

Comment

People are confusing PDP and Center of Excellence, which is an additional training program offered by PDP.

The PDP program is a once a month training session that is free. Through those training sessions, the Select Squad is chosen. Select Squad plays tournaments, does the international trips, has residential training camps in the the Summer and sends kids to ID2 (these events are not always free). You can't try out for PDP or the Select Squad. You have to be recommended by your DOC or "voted in" by opposing league coaches. Every game, coaches from both teams record one player of the game from their team and 2 players of the game from the opposing team. If multiple coaches from opposing teams are recording you as pog, you will most likely get invited regardless of DOC recommend. PDP continually evaluates the kids and if your "numbers" fall below a certain point or continually decrease month after month, you will be dropped from the program.

Center of Excellence is an additional training program, which is open to a greater number of kids, is more tryout based and is not free. If a kid is a member of the Select Squad or a frequent attendee of PDP monthly training, they do not tryout-they are automatically accepted to the training sessions. Your DOC can also recommend you for this program or you can just show up to tryouts. The process is less selective than PDP, but the training is still good. I have seen kids (not many, but 1 or 2) who just showed up to tryouts of Center of Excellence, end up a year later on the Select Squad.
                  This is great. Thanks for the clarification. What are the chances of kids being accepted to the COE and then being accepted into PDP without any recommendation from club DOC?

Comment

This is great. Thanks for the clarification. What are the chances of kids being accepted to the COE and then being accepted into PDP without any recommendation from club DOC?
                    Every kid is different so there's no telling

Comment

1/3 are accepted into the C of E who tryout. After that, it gets even more competitive. Overall, it's an excellent program, with good coaches and players. But it still more money. Even the "free" aspects of it cost because of gas, hotels, airfare, etc. If you have the money and time, and your son/daughter is really into it, by that I mean they are asking for more work, more practice, etc., then do it. If the push is coming from you, then don't. Your kid will just burn out.

Comment

It definitely depends on the kid.

One of my kid's club teammates showed up at Center of Excellence tryouts (2 years ago) in the Winter, no recommendation/no invite. She got accepted to CoE, did the Winter & Spring. At the end of the Spring session she was asked to go to a tournament with the Select Squad and has been on the Select Squad ever since and also now attends the monthly PDP trainings. Meanwhile there were plenty of kids who, at the time, had been invited/attending the monthly PDP trainings for 6 months or more who were not invited to the Select Squad.

Then we knew another kid from a different club, who did 3 CoE trainings and got invited to the next available PDP training. After one PDP session, she was invited to the Select Squad and continuously invited to the monthly PDPs. A few months later, she was selected to go to the ID2.

Keep in mind, both of these kids are spectacular players that really came into their own during the time period that all of this transpired. Its good to have these types of programs that can really help identify and develop talent. I'm particularly fond of this program, I like the objectivity of the selection process, intermingling of players from different clubs and strong training.

Comment

It definitely depends on the kid.

One of my kid's club teammates showed up at Center of Excellence tryouts (2 years ago) in the Winter, no recommendation/no invite. She got accepted to CoE, did the Winter & Spring. At the end of the Spring session she was asked to go to a tournament with the Select Squad and has been on the Select Squad ever since and also now attends the monthly PDP trainings. Meanwhile there were plenty of kids who, at the time, had been invited/attending the monthly PDP trainings for 6 months or more who were not invited to the Select Squad.

Then we knew another kid from a different club, who did 3 CoE trainings and got invited to the next available PDP training. After one PDP session, she was invited to the Select Squad and continuously invited to the monthly PDPs. A few months later, she was selected to go to the ID2.

Keep in mind, both of these kids are spectacular players that really came into their own during the time period that all of this transpired. Its good to have these types of programs that can really help identify and develop talent. I'm particularly fond of this program, I like the objectivity of the selection process, intermingling of players from different clubs and strong training.
                          Sounds like how soccer should be. My son tried out and made the CoE training. Whether he makes the next level or not will be up to him but nice to know there is a path. In any case, it will be a lot of fun training with talented kids from other clubs as you mentioned.

Comment

It seems these PDPs are only for a specific age for kids. But what i dont get is why boys group is younger than the girls group. you would think it would be opposite. Girls have developed and you hear that they are being offered scholarships as early at ninth grade. Most boys have not yet even hit growth spurts at age 12.

Comment

It seems these PDPs are only for a specific age for kids. But what i dont get is why boys group is younger than the girls group. you would think it would be opposite. Girls have developed and you hear that they are being offered scholarships as early at ninth grade. Most boys have not yet even hit growth spurts at age 12.
                              As far as I know it goes through at least U14 (that's when we stopped because HS was too time intensive). It may go further

Comment

Bumping this up but wish the thread title could be changed. This is probably the only informative and reasonably correct thread on this website.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X